Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
ps3dump.jpeg

We know how much you love reading about the PlayStation 3 and potentially illegal things, so let's combine the two, shall we? It looks like enterprising hackers have figured out a way to dump Blu-ray movies using nothing more than a PS3 and Linux. Now, there's a whole lot of Linux jargon to comb through, but the premise is simple: boot up the appropriate flavor of Linux, then input the command "dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/blu-raymovie.iso" and that should do it. It's interesting to note that similar methods are used to dump ("back up") PS3 games themselves.

The first movie dumped was Talledega Night and it comes in at an impressive 20.9GB. So if you bought a PS3 with the 60GB hard drive you should be all set; those with a 20GB will need to invest in an external hard drive. Don't tell Sony we told you or anything.​
Gizmondo

Talk about LOL. Can we say HDCPwned?
rofl2.gif

sixb0nes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Doomman said:
Apparently people don't realize this... but dumping a disc isn't exactly the important part -- in the case of blu-ray movies, the dumped iso still has all the drm stuff to get through (and will lack the bd-rom watermark if reburned, making it useless for all the players out now). In the case of games, you need a boot loader (if playing off hdd), as if burned it'll still be missing the watermarking of a bd-rom. It'll be news when someone gets a burned disc to be read like a rom disc (or the ripped data usably read from an hdd).

Not the biggest news really at this point. As dumping stuff is the easy part (especially with linux having access to the bd drive). To be honest, I hope nothing comes of it -- piracy, while convenient at times, isn't such a fantastic thing.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Doomman said:
Apparently people don't realize this... but dumping a disc isn't exactly the important part -- in the case of blu-ray movies, the dumped iso still has all the drm stuff to get through (and will lack the bd-rom watermark if reburned, making it useless for all the players out now). In the case of games, you need a boot loader (if playing off hdd), as if burned it'll still be missing the watermarking of a bd-rom. It'll be news when someone gets a burned disc to be read like a rom disc (or the ripped data usably read from an hdd).

Not the biggest news really at this point. As dumping stuff is the easy part (especially with linux having access to the bd drive). To be honest, I hope nothing comes of it -- piracy, while convenient at times, isn't such a fantastic thing.

nice informative response

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've also heard you can install games to run from the harddrive. Its quite funny as they did say it would take 20 years to be able to crack the latest protection. They must have meant 20 minutes
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We all teamed together and decided you needed a day off, so we blocked you.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No one expects the database errors!!!
    +2
    Hey a thought occurred to me... If they are unexpected database errors, are there expected database errors?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, that's just a pre-order term to make the product look better it's not sold out
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never expect a website to last 24/7 it's like section 8
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    good afternoon fellas
    +1
    Gotten tag!
    Gutten lol
    Autocorrect isn't always correct
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    however,sad news today, although idk if i can say it bc it relates to a rom site
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rom or Ram site? Cause there's a big difference
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    rom,like game files
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    know what? to paraphrase sonic: "no GBAtemp rule in the universe is gonna stop me"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    vimm's lair had to remove a bunch of games because of nintendo, sega, and lego
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Got taken down? Another one bites the dust
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not taken down, but had to remove a bunch of games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sirloin sounds good tonight
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah it does
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    RIP Vimm's Lair (most of the games anyway), you will be missed

also i think this is a great time and reason to bring back a hashtag previously used about ubisoft
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    #stopkillinggames
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    #mailmesomesirloinsteak
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mail you deeze nuts
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That be cheap, flat rate small envelope
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That be cheap, flat rate small envelope