Homebrew The Rosy Hue of 8-Bit Tinted Shades (or... Why 8-bit Gaming?!)

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone once asked me why play these "ancient" games? Don't most of them suck?

Good question - and here's my best response: yes most of them DO suck. But some don't. And since there are more than 6000 classic 8-bit Atari games (whose combined size is roughly equal to a single Zelda DS title), you can have a 98% suck-ratio and still have 120 great games.

upload_2021-2-12_7-44-8.pngupload_2021-2-12_7-46-45.pngupload_2021-2-12_7-47-50.png

These classic games are usually designed by a single person working for several months with an idea they came up with themselves. Sound, graphics and gameplay were a one-man-band. As such, you get a lot of original concepts - many of which don't work but some that work marvelously well. These are pick-up-and-play style games that you can enjoy for 5 minutes or 5 hours - there is no long-term investment as there might be with a modern story-driven game. And these days, programmers can't take chances. New games usually require a production team that can rival the cost and complexity of a first-run movie... and game studios tend not to take chances. If Fortnight is hot, we'll make more Fortnight-like games because we can't afford a $30 Million experiment right now.

upload_2021-2-12_7-49-43.pngupload_2021-2-12_7-50-33.pngupload_2021-2-12_7-51-55.png

Classic games are sometimes developed by hobbyists back when the tools for game creation came bundled with the machines. Most of us in our 50s learned on these simple machines - we learned how to put a spaceship on screen, move it left and right with the joystick and make a satisfying boom noise when it got hit by an enemy missile. This was all new - our parents largely didn't understand it but the younger generation really dug in... and some of what was produced is still highly enjoyable to this day. The key is separating the large pile of chaff from the wheat.

upload_2021-2-12_7-53-13.pngupload_2021-2-12_7-54-13.pngupload_2021-2-12_7-54-56.png

The power of the 32-bit NDS platform allows us to revisit that time 40 years ago when everything was fresh and new. When chances could be taken. When gameplay involved a joystick and a single button. Testing your skill against the programmer who had to perform feats of magic to get these games to run properly. Back when these machines were state-of-the-art, they had virtually no memory buffers for video. So everything had to be drawn as the TV scanbeam was moving across the horizontal line - and if you found a few spare CPU cycles you could do some computations for your game. They called it "Racing the Beam" and if you failed, the image would distort, the TV picture would roll or the game would outright crash. These early pioneers of gaming took systems far beyond what their developers dreamed - and the result was 10 years of amazing progress until better hardware with more memory and more sophisticated video processing started to appear.

So I encourage you to visit this era - if only to sample what was possible "back in the day". The gaming industry today grew from those humble beginnings. Some of these games might be older than you are! And you just might find an additive favorite among the mass of games available. Fortunately with TWL++ and emulators, a decade of classic gaming is, quite literally, at your fingertips.

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-12_7-47-23.png
    upload_2021-2-12_7-47-23.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 147
  • upload_2021-2-12_7-52-53.png
    upload_2021-2-12_7-52-53.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited by wavemotion,

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Good topic. I grew up with 8-bit era as well, and 8-bit games, represent, how programmers began stepping up their game in regards to technology and use of both imagination and whatever tools they had at the time.

Personally, I took the sensei route, and decided to tackle on the "team that can rival the cost and complexity of a first-run movie done by just 1 guy" route. That gives me a great insight how everything is connected and works. It's no easy task to bear with that, but once you get the hang of it, you can really help to move your environment forward.

Since the death of Iwata-san I decided to take that route.

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
I remember being astounded at how cool tunnel runner was on my 2600. It was a bit like being in a pacman maze.
The game used extra ram, and if i recall i think it came with a controller sheath with a thumb button on top.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_Runner

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe a little off topic, but not by too much,
back in the early 80's i had a Texas instruments 99 which came with a book of basic programs to type up to create rudimentary "games".
Anyhow , i spent around 6 hours making a 3 panel slot machine card game. When it was almost finished i stood up and accidentaly UNPLUGGED IT!!
Spent another 4 hours re-typing the whole thing. Lol.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Maybe a little off topic, but not by too much,
back in the early 80's i had a Texas instruments 99 which came with a book of basic programs to type up to create rudimentary "games".
Anyhow , i spent around 6 hours making a 3 panel slot machine card game. When it was almost finished i stood up and accidentaly UNPLUGGED IT!!
Spent another 4 hours re-typing the whole thing. Lol.
:D

Oh yes....typing was fun...and more the Search for the "mistyped" Byte after 10 Hours of Typing,starting the Programm to get an "Error on Line 3423"...in an Machine Code Listing.:sad:

110034 0A 20 2D 40 1B F0 0A 1F 12
110035 1A 20 2D 42 2B D0 1A 10 12
110036 02 FF 2F 40 2B F0 3A 1F 12

Thank God,some integrated Checksum Program comes a little later (Atari 800 XL),that was a little easier.:lol:

Last edited by Alexander1970,

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved that book! Taught me how to put sprites on the screen and move them around. My buddy growing up had a TI99/4a and we programmed and played that thing all summer... I remember it had a kind of speech synthesizer and we could tell it to make basic phoneme (sp?) sounds. We spent a day trying to make it say swear words :)

Oh... the days spent playing Tunnels of Doom loaded from Cassette.

Damn... I may have to work on a TI99/4a emulator for the NDS.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Games are never obsolete. Same with books, movies, plays, paintings, or any other cultural medium. Even ignoring the broader scope of comparing what things were politically trendy in given eras, including our own, old games can still be as good as new ones (and new as good as old).

I will die on the hill that CRTs are a bit crap, though.

Alexandercool100

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi. 10 years ago you made a post with the version of new super mario bros 3 version 2.5 And I ask if I could get a download for the filed.I´ve been waiting to play this version for years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro