Hacking The status of Gateway and A9LH

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Well this is really weird.
Just re-installed a9lh with the modified files/installer by @liomajor (plus the other stage1 variation - payload_stage1-X-Y.bin) with works fine (sort of). Luma loads by default as expected, GW menu loads with X and system shuts down with Y pressed (to be expected, no bin file in place to load yet). The weird thing is if i try boot GW past the menu at all it just doesn't go anywhere. haha Press A to boot GW mode > back to menu (doesn't reboot or anything), Press (hold) B then A then X to boot GW sysnand > back to menu. Card is detected as it lights up when holding X to boot the GW stage. Might be something to do with the 4.0 launcher.dat, not sure. Will try the 3.7.1 launcher.dat and see how that goes.
Anyone else had any weird stuff like this?

Edit: Yeah just tried the 3.7.1 launcher.dat and it booted. hmm

Last edited by Shadowtrance,

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
My real big question is will Gateway still support users like us who'd rather have a separate SysNAND and EmuNAND? All this A9LH stuff seems to risky to brick my N3DS.

A9lh, is not risky if you follow the guide to a T and don't rush it. It's far superior to GW and even if they release their own a9lh payload, it's possible that it could be DRM locked down and other hindrances that will get in the way of free open source exploits we have now. They are a crooked business and not gonna release stuff for free for non GW users.

I contemplated on staying with GW as I liked the drag n drop .3ds and the cheats, yet looking at a9lh and the fast 100% boots, wish I done it sooner. My GW is now up for sale.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A9lh, is not risky if you follow the guide to a T and don't rush it. It's far superior to GW and even if they release their own a9lh payload, it's possible that it could be DRM locked down and other hindrances that will get in the way of free open source exploits we have now. They are a crooked business and not gonna release stuff for free for non GW users.

I contemplated on staying with GW as I liked the drag n drop .3ds and the cheats, yet looking at a9lh and the fast 100% boots, wish I done it sooner. My GW is now up for sale.

No need to sell it. See pages 16 and 35. They can coexist thanks to liomajor. Just thought you might like to know before you sell it. But if you still want to sell it, let me know how much.

Just re-installed a9lh with the modified files/installer by @liomajor (plus the other stage1 variation - payload_stage1-X-Y.bin) with works fine (sort of). Luma loads by default as expected, GW menu loads with X and system shuts down with Y pressed (to be expected, no bin file in place to load yet). The weird thing is if i try boot GW past the menu at all it just doesn't go anywhere. haha Press A to boot GW mode > back to menu (doesn't reboot or anything), Press (hold) B then A then X to boot GW sysnand > back to menu. Card is detected as it lights up when holding X to boot the GW stage. Might be something to do with the 4.0 launcher.dat, not sure. Will try the 3.7.1 launcher.dat and see how that goes.

That's odd. 4.0a works for me, but I'm using START-B, and my O3DS NANDS are Samsung.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

StevenLexon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
great job!liomajor!i love u!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

how about the former release by liomajor?does it works well with 4.0a?

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if Gateway will need another 2 months to prep a arm9loaderhax.bin that will just work with current A9LH forks (I have @FIX94). @liomajor, great job with getting a solution for people who don't want to be GW locked down. I will wait for a payload I can just drop in my payloads folder to use with arm9select because I feel it should be just that simple and think it unnecessary to tinker with my A9LH, so if GW stiffs me/us I guess I will have to live with either a menuhax or HBL cia solution. For the people enjoying the fruits of @liomajor's labor I salute you, but will wait for GW to just give the people what they want. Quit stalling GW and get off your high and mighty soap box and drop the payload already.

Edit: My dream setup would be ReiNand with AGB/TWL patches as my default payload and Gateway as my payload I load with L.

Last edited by stl25,
Reactions: leonmagnus99

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That said, Sky is on their second card. And they'll probably be on their third by January of next year.
1) You're on crack. The blue button was already #2 and the current dual orange button is #3.

2)This isn't a CFW thread or Sky thread. Nobody gives a rat's ass about opinions. If you don't like GW and especially, if you don't currently own and use one, stay out of here. This goes for everybody.

His point was buying a Gateway today is a waste of money, which is a completely valid point.
No it isn't. This isn't the "you should buy a GW" thread either.

20mark

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@liomajor for those people who are on Samsung nand and updated their a9lh using your first stage1 and stage2 payloads (the ones working on Toshiba nands) it's safe to update again using your newer payloads? thanks

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's something I'm wondering about @liomajor's stuff. It says I can use the arm9loaderhax.bin to update a9lh to get that version that works with GW. But does it work even if my arm9loaderhax wasn't installed by a SafeA9LHInstaller in the first place ? I think I'm running the old a9lh from @Dark_Samus, the first one which had screen_init... So would I be able to use @liomajor's arm9loaderhax.bin to install that arm9loaderhax here ?

(Because on my N3DS, I restored a 9.0 backup then went to homebrew menu to launch the 3dsx and it worked flawlessly, but if I can save some time and some writes to NAND for my O3DS, I'll take it this way).

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
No need to sell it. See pages 16 and 35. They can coexist thanks to liomajor. Just thought you might like to know before you sell it. But if you still want to sell it, let me know how much.

Got no interest in it now. If interested have a look in the trading section on here, as I posted details of my items for sale.

Thanks

stussy1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trying this on a n3ds au and just getting gateway screen red bottom then just blacks out holding x+y on launch if not held auto luma any sugestions ?

running luma latest with 11.0 system and emunand 10.7 arm9

gateway 3.7.1

Last edited by stussy1,

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PSA - Just in case anyone has forgot, if you have in the past after setting up a9lh changed to a redNAND you will get a black screen after trying to boot into Gateway emuNAND since they don't support it.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like @urherenow said. No one cares about what you like/dislike, what you think is worth it or not, or even why you want something. This thread has one purpose, and that's to document the status of GW's A9LH implementation as well as help those who are going through with it. I asked for a civil thread, so please don't bring your CFW vs. GW replies here.

Reactions: phr3ak and 20mark

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) You're on crack. The blue button was already #2 and the current dual orange button is #3.

2)This isn't a CFW thread or Sky thread. Nobody gives a rat's ass about opinions. If you don't like GW and especially, if you don't currently own and use one, stay out of here. This goes for everybody.

No it isn't. This isn't the "you should buy a GW" thread either.

1. I don't consider the blue button a completely new release. It was just a 1.5 iteration, like the N3DS or the upcoming PS4.5 (far less significant than those, though, maybe more like a 1.1 iteration). The Sky+ is the true 2nd card IMHO.

2. I simply stated the facts -- ROM emulation does have it's uses. You can't use the red cart to downgrade a 3DS. I own 2 GW red carts. I use one in my red/black O3DS XL and one in my US N3DS XL. If I didn't use them, then why would I have gone to so much trouble trying to figure out why Samsung NANDs weren't working (for all the good it did, liomajor was the one that figured out it was the shutdown code activating before the card reader had time to fully initialize). What, admitting other things have uses is some form of heresy now?

It worked better than telling the guy to "STFU and get out" didn't it? You get confrontational with people, and they get confrontational right back. I made a few valid points, and he stopped. I call that mission accomplished. Let's move on already.

3. Damn, you sure are moody all of a sudden. I would say "looks like someone's got the Mondays" but it's Saturday ;)

There's something I'm wondering about @liomajor's stuff. It says I can use the arm9loaderhax.bin to update a9lh to get that version that works with GW. But does it work even if my arm9loaderhax wasn't installed by a SafeA9LHInstaller in the first place ? I think I'm running the old a9lh from @Dark_Samus, the first one which had screen_init... So would I be able to use @liomajor's arm9loaderhax.bin to install that arm9loaderhax here ?

(Because on my N3DS, I restored a 9.0 backup then went to homebrew menu to launch the 3dsx and it worked flawlessly, but if I can save some time and some writes to NAND for my O3DS, I'll take it this way).

You should be fine. Safe A9LH Installer can update Dark Samus just fine. In fact, this started out as a Dark Samus fork. It may still be. We used to have to install DS. I've run Safe A9LH installer on my devices since installing DS, and it worked fine. So I can say, for certain, it's perfectly alright to use Safe A9LH Installer with Dark Samus A9LH.

Got no interest in it now. If interested have a look in the trading section on here, as I posted details of my items for sale.

Thanks

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Last edited by Kazuma77,
Reactions: Hayleia

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You should be fine. Safe A9LH Installer can update Dark Samus just fine. In fact, this started out as a Dark Samus fork. It may still be. We used to have to install DS. I've run Safe A9LH installer on my devices since installing DS, and it worked fine. So I can say, for certain, it's perfectly alright to use Safe A9LH Installer with Dark Samus A9LH.
Ok thanks. I just wanted to be sure since I don't have a hardmod (even though even if it bricks, I almost don't care since my main system is the N3DS). Just tried and it worked :)

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. I don't consider the blue button a completely new release.

2. I simply stated the facts -- ROM emulation does have it's uses. You can't use the red cart to downgrade a 3DS. What, admitting other things have uses is some form of heresy now?
1) Tell that to the people that have spent good money on all 3.

2) Downgrading has nothing to do with a sky or a red card. (But then it DOES on an o3ds and probably both by the time 4.0 is official, making your statement completely false)

"Admiting other things" is not warranted or welcome. This thread is about GW a9lh. Period. Is that such a hard concept to grasp? Don't even reply because this is off topic as well. Let's keep the thread where it belongs from here on out.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Tell that to the people that have spent good money on all 3.

2) Downgrading has nothing to do with a sky or a red card. (But then it DOES on an o3ds and probably both by the time 4.0 is official, making your statement completely false)

"Admiting other things" is not warranted or welcome. This thread is about GW a9lh. Period. Is that such a hard concept to grasp? Don't even reply because this is off topic as well. Let's keep the thread where it belongs from here on out.

You can't run Cubic Ninja or PSMD on a red card on a clean SysNAND boot. No amount of wishful thinking on your part will ever make that a reality.

Fine, you deal with the next guy who comes in here and says we should just use CFW. I'm going to enjoy seeing your diplomacy skills in action, especially when you tell them to "STFU and GTFO" LOL ;)

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You can't run Cubic Ninja or PSMD on a red card on a clean SysNAND boot. No amount of wishful thinking on your part will ever make that a reality.

Fine, you deal with the next guy who comes in here and says we should just use CFW. I'm going to enjoy seeing your diplomacy skills in action, especially when you tell them to STFU and get out, LOL ;)
Gateway 4.0 doesn't block downgrading anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ZpMdTnZkpRQ?si=Q2MI4UugoSYifY7G Neat