Gaming The Switch is pretty Meh.

TheSpearGuy

can probably play it on Switch
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch is my favourite console right now.This is probably Nintendo´s best concept ever made.Being able to play full fledged open-world Mario or Zelda games wherever I am is just amazing.And the Switch Lite is a genius product too.But it´s kinda getting boring.The games we get are ports,remakes or sequels.There´s nothing wrong with that,but I miss the originality.The Gamecube for example was filled with really good spin-off titles.The only title I can think of for Switch is Mario+Rabbids (the most forgotten gem:cry: and it is not even made by Nintendo).Nintendo could do sooooo much more (folders,custom themes ? :rofl2:).I know it is only the second year,but I don´t think that this will change drastically.And I fear that the far future will not change that much either.The only thing that makes the switch so amazing to me is the hacking scene.And I hope that the community will live for a long time.

What's your opinion ?

Last edited by TheSpearGuy,

xbmcuser

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The fact that its been hacked wide open paired with how powerful that nvidia chip is for homebrew. Also, the greatest games studio (Nintendo) develop solely for it, are the best things about it

Reactions: Deleted User

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the online didn't suck as bad as it does, it would be a lot cooler of a console. It really sucks to pay for such a shit experience.

The coolest stuff to me are these "impossible" ports like Doom, Witcher 3, Divinity OS 2, and Overwatch. Nintendo must have some really good software and support to help these developers bring titles that were never meant to run on mobile hardware to the switch. The split joycon control scheme is amazing for me for in bed sessions, and the dockable/portable experience is something I will really miss if future consoles don't find a way to do something similar, though I think competitors see the portable potential demonstrated here and are looking for different ways to achieve this (cloud gaming).

Smash Ultimate is amazing. BoTW is amazing, but a Wii U game. Mario Odyssey I could personally go without. I still haven't checked out Mario + Rabbids. The rest of the good first party titles were on the Wii U and I got to play them a long time ago, but I don't think that having ports is necessarily a bad thing. There's definitely a wide variety of games available though, and I feel like that's where the switch holds the most appeal, even if they're all older titles. It's gotten me to play a handful of games I would have otherwise let go by the wayside.

It's an ok experience overall. A Switch 2 with the same dockable tech, the same split controller, and more powerful CPU/GPU would be an instant buy for me, where as the Playstation 5 and next Xbox console without these features are gonna have to bring a lot to the table to be interesting to me. Usually consoles are just watered down PC's, but with the Switch it's a watered down PC that you can play anywhere. I didn't think it would have as much of an impact as it does, but I've always had portables that I play away from the TV, now it's the same experience in bed and on the couch, and I don't wanna go back to the old ways.

DarkKaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's a nice console, but definitely not my favorite.
I got it for Nintendo games, but prefer to play on a powerful console on the big screen.
I don't travel all that much, so the portability aspect isn't important to me at all.

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If not for the homebrew community, I would have no love for the console personally. The game I bought the console for, Shin Megami Tensei V, still doesn't have a release date and the best exclusive I've played on it so far is Mario Odyssey, which is a bit short and easy for my taste. Breath of the Wild is a flawed masterpiece, but I was one of the goobers who bought a Wii U so it's inconsequential. As much as I love Pokémon, it's just not there in any meaningful capacity on the Switch so far, and everything else I like isn't an exclusive.

That said, the fact that I have a semi-handheld that can use the wide amount of homebrew and emulators like Retroarch, OpenRCT, and more makes it valuable to me. Plus, save editing and using cheats in games is just plain great.

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch is my favourite console right now.This is probably Nintendo´s best concept ever made.Being able to play full fledged open-world Mario or Zelda games wherever I am is just amazing.And the Switch Lite is a genius product too.But it´s kinda getting boring.The games we get are ports,remakes or sequels.There´s nothing wrong with that,but I miss the originality.The Gamecube for example was filled with really good spin-off titles.The only title I can think of for Switch is Mario+Rabbids (the most forgotten gem:cry: and it is not even made by Nintendo).Nintendo could do sooooo much more (folders,custom themes ? :rofl2:).I know it is only the second year,but I don´t think that this will change drastically.And I fear that the far future will not change that much either.The only thing that makes the switch so amazing to me is the hacking scene.And I hope that the community will live for a long time.

What's your opinion ?
Honestly I think these ports are fill ins and quick money makers. the size of switch games is so large compared to what they are used to they have to find a way to compromise and continue to release games. I mean BOTW took FOREVER to release because it was so large and I can imagine that it's sequel is even larger. Ports are easier because they are replicating games that are 1/10th the size if not smaller than the ones being created now.

MachRc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it for my son, I am into tripple A 4k titles on my PC (playing outerworlds currently, gears 5, and disco elysium[so slow])

did really enjoy BOTW

and sometimes other multi-player games with my children like mario cart, luigi's mansion is cool, mario party , etc.

I do hope mario 3d world is next in the pipeline as it is my favorite nintendo(mario) game

Outside that I mainly use it to load the sd card with new XCIs and install NSPs and update the cheat.zip file from the cheat thread by Matias3ds for my children.

So when you say its meh ,,,, yes
to me it is a glorified portable PC-3rd-party-STEAM-game-ports machine, in a convenient factor form so that my kid can play in the car or take it out on a outing

BUT

I enjoy seeing my child's face light up when we all play unreleased/newly released nintendo games together and I help him upload videos to youtube so he can brag to his friends
I feel good knowing my son has EVERY game available on his switch
I feel good when his friends envy him about the pokemon save editor, saved games imports, hacks, cheats for games that are not even out yet
I feel good knowing he is on top of the nintendo mountain
I feel good knowing that I am not missing out on the CFW train.
Ive been doing this for my nephews and nieces since the R4, and its nice I can do it for my own children

If you are old as I am its just nice to have but like me you may not find too much time to play

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I love my Switch and I have a pretty good library of games. But I hope we get a new Mario Kart, and a rehashed MK8 isn't the only Mario Kart we're getting... MK8 is fine and all, but I kinda played that a lot on the Wii U already before the Switch came out. I want something new.
As far as Zelda goes I'm happy with two BotW games. No console has gotten more than two Zelda games, and if this ends up being a repeat of the success that Majora's Mask was, I don't think we have anything to complain about.
Would be nice to see some DLC for Super Mario Odyssey, but I don't think we are gonna get another full 3D Mario on the same console, that just never happens.

Is there anything missing as far as 1st party games go other than a new Mario Kart? We got Pokemon remakes and are now getting brand new games. Maybe a couple of years down the line we'll get improved versions of Sword and Shield a la B2/W2/US/UM. Smash has been out for a while and is pretty solid. We finally got a new proper 3D Mario for the first time since the GameCube. Metroid Prime is coming eventually. Guess we're still missing F-Zero and Star Fox, but Nintendo has been neglecting those for a while so I'm not expecting too much.
A sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising would be great. 3DS one was held back a bit by touchscreen controls. Even a port of Uprising would be nice, so that it can finally be played with dual analogs and optional motion controls, the way it was meant to be played. But a brand new game would obviously be even better. The 3DS one seemed more like an experiment to see if reviving an old character and turning it into a franchise could work - I'm not sure how successful it was as far as sales numbers go, but I believe it could sell better on the Switch with improved controls, so it's something I'd like to see, but there have only been two games in the series after all and they were completely different games from completely different time periods, so if we ever see another Kid Icarus game it might be completely different from the previous two, and we might not see one at all.

Reactions: TeddyBearYoshi

elhefegaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a PC gamer so, from THAT perspective I think it is the best console ever (won't get into pricing thou)
The reason is the fact that you can play on your couch, bathroom, bus, you name it. That's just amazing.
The titles are Nintendo + a bunch of old school classics and if you factor in hacking you pretty much can run emulators from GB all the way up to PSX. That's just an insane thing to be able to do with a console that not only is it portable, it lets you play anywhere with 2 players cause the controllers are always with you.

I definitely think this is the future, and I hope we see some sort of new version in which the dock actually does something and its not just a 70 dollar piece of plastic. There's a bunch of technology available to have HW on the dock to that could make the games use more resources when hooked up to it. Yes, it requires a drastic change in the way games are done, but (again, pc gamer here) that's exactly how pc games work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    N @ NoiseCommander3DS: @AncientBoi Apologies