The U.S. government is seeking a five-year sentence for Team Xecuter's Gary Bowser

unnamed.jpg

In new court documents released yesterday, the U.S. government discussed its desires for sentencing in the case of Gary Bowser, who was the public face of Team Xecuter. The U.S. is recommending sixty months, or five years, of imprisonment for Bowser, a sentence it admits is "greater than the sentence recommended by the Probation Office," and comes on top of the $4.5 million fine he's already accepted after pleading guilty. (That's only for the criminal case brought against him by the U.S. government; in the civil suit against him filed by Nintendo of America, he was recently ordered to pay $10 million.)

The state feels, however, that this sentence is justified due to the due to Bowser's importance in Team Xecuter, his "history and characteristics," and as a proper deterrent against cybercriminal activities. The state points out that Team Xecuter was a highly sophisticated, multinational business that cost the videogame industry between an estimated $65 million and $150 million in damages, and it could not have operated as effectively without Bowser's marketing. They also claim that he has a history of criminality - citing a charge of forgery and fraud under $5000 from 2004 - and that he has a risk of recidivism, given how long he has worked in the criminal space. "After he is released, the same financial hardships and social isolation that led to his becoming the public voice of the Team Xecuter enterprise will be present when he reenters society after serving his sentence," says one section of the document. Finally, they believe that it is a "just punishment" that will help deter other potential cybercriminals, given how difficult it can be to identify or extradite offenders, citing Bowser's own co-defendants in this case, Max Louarn and Yuanning Chen.

Conversely, the defense is requesting a nineteen month sentence, as they believe the prosecution is exaggerating the importance of his role in Team Xecuter, that his character is defensible and that, as a Canadian citizen, he has been and will be treated worse in the American prison system than an American citizen would.

"Mr. Bowser was used by Max Louarn," states the defense plainly near the beginning of the document. They go on to downplay his role in the organization, citing documents provided in discovery and Bowser's plea deal. Team Xecuter “generated at least tens of millions of dollars of proceeds," according to Bowser; however, he believes millions of it "must" have gone to Louarn and Chen, with "the rest" of it going to unindicted developers, manufacturers and resellers of Team Xecuter products, as Bowser was only paid between $500 and $1000 per month by Louarn. He is estimated to have made $320,000 over the course of his seven years with Team Xecuter, including his pay and ad revenue generated from independent resellers, despite assuming the highest risk by marketing these products. In addition to the pay discrepancy, the defense also asserts that while Bowser's role was important, he was not the leader, and that "without Chen or Louarn, there would be no enterprise. But without Mr. Bowser, Louarn would have found someone else to be 'the face' of this effort." The defense also maintains that the sentence is disproportionately harsh compared to similar offenses, citing United States v. Nomm, a case from 2015 regarding the sale of pirated media. Similar to Bowser's case, it regarded one person being indicted for the actions of a piracy group, wherein the defendant pleaded guilty, had been involved with the group roughly as long as Bowser was involved with Team Xecuter, was estimated to have caused $400 million in damages, and generated $150 million in profit, yet was only sentenced to 366 days in prison.

The defense goes on to discusses Bowser's tumultuous and isolating childhood, which they believe led to his love of computers and eventually his criminality. There are also quotes from several friends of Bowser's who defended his character, describing him as a man who “wanted to please people and be liked,” and said they would help him when he is released back to Canada, to help prevent him returning to criminal activity.

Lastly, the defense asserts that concessions should be made for the conditions in which Bowser has been contained, and the difficulties of being a Canadian citizen in the American prison system. Bowser has been detained since October 2, 2020, as "Bowser is a Canadian citizen with no status in the U.S. and no family resources in Canada, it was impossible to achieve his presumptive pretrial release." By the time of sentencing, Bowser will have been detained for sixteen months. The defense argues that, if their nineteen month sentence is granted, he will essentially be serving a thirty-nine month sentence, with the first sixteen already served. Bowser has also spent this time dealing with medical issues, such as an infection of COVID-19 and elephantiasis, contracted in 2018, that necessitates the use of a wheelchair or cane and has been described as a "permanent deform[ity]" by medical records. Despite this, he did not "sit around feeling sorry for himself," and has spent his time in custody reading self-help books and has lost a hundred pounds. They also believe that he is being treated unfairly as a Canadian citizen, as any American would have been released on appearance bond, rather than spending all this time in prison, and likely would have been redirected to a minimum-security camp. His status as a deportable also prevents his inclusion to several early-release programs, such as the Earned Early Release program that the defense believes he would have qualified for due to his self-improvement, or the RDAP substance abuse program, which would he would have qualified for "based on his long-time abuse of alcohol."

A judge will soon make a decision regarding Bowser's sentencing.

:arrow: Source (Application for Commissioner Order)
:arrow: Source (Defendant's Motion)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess character statements are expected, even if they ultimately amount to little, but still amusing to see. Do we get to see Nintendo's victim statement as well?

5 years... so what with good behaviour?

Reactions: Kioku

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if they'll allow a suspended sentence and/or probation? Sometimes you get charged with heavy time but they call it an open felony or deferred adjudication and if you complete it, no time in jail. You screw up, you serve the full sentence.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Going to jail, paying fines and getting a criminal record just for getting paid $320,000 over the course of 7 years is not worth it at all.
It's safe to assume that the defence is wildly under-exaggerating the extent of his pay and his culpability, just as the prosecution is wildly over-exaggerating. Would be interesting to know the truth.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if i recall the 5 years is maximum at least nintendo or the US gpvernment didn't seize sale records and are going after SXOS users who bought the product THAT would be overkill amd a wast of governmemt funding

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if they'll allow a suspended sentence and/or probation? Sometimes you get charged with heavy time but they call it an open felony or deferred adjudication and if you complete it, no time in jail. You screw up, you serve the full sentence.
After they did the "he has no family, no ties to the country, is disabled, has no resources and ..." bit? As he would be unlikely to be able to leave the country during this then most likely end up a burden on the taxpayer (I know) so would be tricky.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I see this just as an example (i.e. a precedent) for other possible devs of devices that could be in development for the same purposes.

What the U.S. government is seeking is to reduce the procedure of indicting and sentencing people related with devices that have the sole purpose of facilitating piracy. It's not just that Bowser played a very "important" role on all the process, but he's the only one that has accepted the charges and is willing to pay a misserable part of all the money he made promoting and selling a circumventing device for the protection of a gaming console.

BTW, can someone elaborate about SX device using openly (as in open source) know techniques for their own benefit?

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After they did the "he has no family, no ties to the country, is disabled, has no resources and ..." bit? As he would be unlikely to be able to leave the country during this then most likely end up a burden on the taxpayer (I know) so would be tricky.
You typically start off wearing a tracking device and weekly visits to or from the probation officer, and if they drug test you they like to pop up with a cup and test strip randomly for a little while. After about 3-6 months they'll ease up and lower your risk factor rating and take the tracker off but you have to report once a week or once a month and turn in schedules so they can check on you randomly. This is usually when you start any community service sentencing also. As the process moves on it gets less and less restrictive and invasive.

These were state level process for probation so IDK if the Feds could go the same way, but I can't see why not unless he has a bunch of previous cases.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Japanese corps at that. My tools got a mention in this on page 12. Correct me if I'm wrong but I am 99% sure that providing a save manager isn't illegal.
if you live in Japan yes it actually is (even cheating in games can land you in prison) other sane countries would never write such a stupid law as jailing cheaters in games would overcrowd prisons and be a waste of taxpaying dollars

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
if you live in Japan yes it actually is (even cheating in games can land you in prison) other sane countries would never write such a stupid law as jailing cheaters in games would overcrowd prisons and be a waste of taxpaying dollars
I know, but I don't live in Japan. No TX affiliated people do afaik. On top of that this is an American court case so it would have to be illegal in America.

Edit: Also I think it's only illegal in Japan if you edit the saves? SXSM does not do that.

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Piracy is ... something dont get me wrong, but a 5 year jail sentence is over doing it.
Fine the people involved to an extreme extent and the like. Which they have done.
Make him do community work for an x amount of time. That will help someone at least, and still take away time in some way or fashion. But jail time is not a 'solution' for every sort of offense...
american prison systems man...for profit and private...theylobby the greatest judges to "send em in"

totally Fed

Reactions: Sheimi

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The current administration is a disaster and this is more proof.

This too was pathetic. They expect us to take their word as "evidence" or "facts."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol