Hardware The "what computer should I buy/build" thread?

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend asked me to help him pick a new laptop. His requests were:
1. Under $600
2. 4GB RAM, minimum
3. i3 or better processor.

Anything like that exist?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that I've already asked this question in an old thread, but I didn't really like the price of my choice. In this case, the laptop that I want to buy cannot exceed over at most $800~$900.

I've been searching on NewEgg for a laptop and came upon this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834115987.

It seems like a pretty sweet deal to me, given that I'm not a hardcore gamer that needs a laptop to run games on high graphics. I don't really bother playing games like CoD and all of those other big games.

I've been wanting to get off of this integrated graphics card for quite some time now.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
We receive a lot of reports when people make their own threads for computer builds etc outside of this thread. The general staff consensus is that people can make their own dedicated thread on this subject if they wish. To that end I have edited this threads subtitle to make that clear. Posting questions about computer builds and the purchasing of laptops and so on outside of this thread as far as we are concerned is perfectly fine, so no more reports please.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
p1ngpong said:
We receive a lot of reports when people make their own threads for computer builds etc outside of this thread. The general staff consensus is that people can make their own dedicated thread on this subject if they wish. To that end I have edited this threads subtitle to make that clear. Posting questions about computer builds and the purchasing of laptops and so on outside of this thread as far as we are concerned is perfectly fine, so no more reports please.

thanks for the heads up.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
p1ngpong said:

Good to know. I actually agree with that, but just reported the threads to help wherever I can.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Its ok, lots of people have reported these threads, and we know you are all trying to help and that is greatly appreciated. Im just clarifying our stance for everyone to avoid confusion and unnecessary reports.
smile.gif

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
Looks good to me too. Be aware that people have had problems with nVidia Optimus. With a lil work, all those issues can be resolved, since they mainly fall down to how the drivers work.

I just hope I get to buy the laptop before it runs out of stock.

And is that NVIDIA Optimus thing optional to use?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Optimus is the technology behind switchable graphics. That means it'll switch between the Intel GMA HD graphics built into the Core i5 for power saving (battery life) and the discreet GT 540M graphics for performance. This switch should happen automatically when you load up any demanding task (games, video) and you wont really notice the shift.

As for being able to disable it... I've no idea, since I've never gotten my hands on a laptop that uses it.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It depends on the budget and needs. For someone who wants a computer cheap as chips for office use, the priority would be on finding a motherboard with integrated graphics, and building from there. For someone who wants to play games at high settings and is willing to stretch to higher budgets, the graphics card is most important, followed by the CPU. Then you need a power supply that's strong enough and a motherboard to put them all together. The rest is just filling in the gaps: case, DVD drive, HDD, cooling, operating system, and peripherals.

weiHe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone is willing to help me out, this is my first time building a computer. Anyone see any issues with it? Also i will mostly be using this for lots of gaming/movies.
(MIR=Mail-in-rebate)

Samsung SATA CD/DVD burner = $20

Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX mid tower case = $55

Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD = $40

Galaxy GTX 460 Fermi GC 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCIE 2.0x16 = $145, $50 MIR

OCZ 600W ATX12V PSU = $80, $25 MIR

Patriot 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 1333 RAM = $45, $10 MIR

MSI B3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 SATA 6Gb/s ATX MOBO = $85

i5 2400 LGA 1155 CPU = $160

Total = $630-$8 (Promo) = $622 and $85 MIR
If anyone has any suggestions/criticism i will greatly appreciate the help!!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I have three comments regarding it. Firstly, don't get a Seagate HDD, get WD or Samsung. Secondly, if you're getting a Sandy Bridge CPU, you might aswell get the Core i5-2500K. Finally, you should probably get the GTX 560 instead of the GTX 460 - the 560 has better power management and cooling, so heat won't be as much of an issue.

weiHe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick reply!
1. Alright i will go WD. [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136769]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136769[/url]
2. If i get the i5-2500k, wouldnt i have to replace my mobo to fully utilize it, such as a P67? I might be wrong, let me know!
3. The cheapest GTX 560 goes for about $235, i am paying $145 w/ possibly a $50 MIR for the GTX 460, i believe it might save me some money.
[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;PageSize=20]http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;PageSize=20[/url]
I'm not entirely going for an expensive build, but thanks alot for the advice!

Posts merged

Joe88 said:

Ahh i see so i should replace my H67 mobo with a P67?

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
My mum is going to get me some computer parts.. Like a good mobo good hdd and good ram and everything else is cheap so I can upgrade it myself.. My question is what are those good options for those parts?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM