Hardware The "what computer should I buy/build" thread?

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alphenor said:
D34DL1N3R said:
Keep saving and get something better, otherwise you'll be disappointed with it in 6 months time and want/need to dish out more $$$ for upgrades.

and what, you'll be doing it until the computer reached its maximum possible capacity?

sorry for that statement...it's just that thinking is a repetitive thinking that'll last for several years or so..

And that's why it didn't last me more than 3 months before I decided on my purchases? But I guess, if a person really wants a budget system that they won't be happy with in the end. May as well just get something pre-built from BestBuy then.

QUOTE(Originality @ Mar 29 2011, 06:11 AM)
There's a trend for computer ranges. Budget systems generally need to be replaced every year, mid-ranged systems last 2-4 years before feeling the need to upgrade, and high end computers can last as much as 8 years before being unable to play newer games.

Thank you. Go ahead and go with a cheaper system, if you want to upgrade again in another year. My suggestion is to up your cost by at least another $200, that way you can get something that will be better in the long run and at the same time won't take months on end to save the extra cash. Selling your current PC could make for a portion of that $200. When I built mine I was short cashed for the final part which was the GTX 570 - sold my old system for $150 (minus the monitor and power supply) and got the card three days later. Sure I didn't have a PC for a few days but who cares?

If you have to go the pre-built way (which it looks like you want), I would stay away from Dell. You can get a much nicer system here:
http://www.ibuypower.com/ or http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@Aijelsop's

If you really want to buy this Dell PC, buy it and buy a decent graphics card. I recommend,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036ORMY...E2YYPSFGN6Z387Z

Put Radeon HD5570 into this new PC and hook your monitor to this new GFX card. This graphics card is still on the low side, but about 20 times better than Intel 945G on that Dell PC. I would not recommend anything higher than HD5570 since CPU will bottleneck it and you most likely will need to replace PSU for it.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
JohnLoco said:
There are no such thing as super fast DDR2 memory or Super fast HDD (if it's not a SSD, which it is not).
Eh... pretty much completely wrong.

RAM is, by it's nature, extremely fast especially when compared to other types of storage, it just lacks retention which is why we don't use RAM harddrives and is expensive (imagine paying ~$15 per GB of a 1TB drive today).
The only thing better than DDR2 at the moment is DDR3, and unless you're dealing with a super high end "ub3r l33t gaming rig" or in an environment where highspeed RAM is essential, then you're not going to see much of an improvement, if any, with DDR3.

As for HDDs, what can I say... it's most likely an eye-catching word. They COULD be saying it's super fast and comparing a 7200RPM drive to 5400RPM drive, but again SSD isn't really all that much of an improvement for the average user. It's more for those who want the best or spend lots of times reading/writing data to drives, it's not even for those who have to make large backups since they'd most likely be backing it up to a tape drive or at the very least a 'traditional' harddrive due to SSDs not being ideal for archival purposes.

As for the TigerDirect/BestBuy dell, that's not the same one Aijelsop linked to (currently at least). The one from TD is a 3.0GHz, the one from Aijelsop/BB is 2.0GHz.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
http://configure.us.dell.com/Dellstore/con...6449f9fp0c0s558

450USD. Comes with some 24" TN panel, which you could sell and put the money towards a respectable GPU.

Thanks Urza. If I decided to build my own what's the best specs I could get out of the same price range? Mainly for gaming, of course.

And D34DL1N3R, the point of the thread is to provide people with the best options they have for a computer for their given requirements. Saying "Well, just have like $800 more and buy this stuff" is stupid. Some people have a limited budget and some people aren't willing to wait years gathering all that cash. For someone like me who gets money on a not-so-frequent basis, saying "Save up an extra couple hundred dollars" is not an option. I would like a gaming computer sometime in the near future, and that's my limitations.

I decided to just make a template if anyone wants to use it:

CODEType: Basically what computer type you want. General computing, gaming, etc
Budget: Amount of cash you're willing to spend on it.
DIY or Prebuilt: Whether you want to build the computer yourself or buy one already made.
Other Notes{/b]: Just other important facts. Like if it needs to support this or that or if you already have some parts you're thinking about using.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The RAM should match the motherboard (and subsequently CPU). This basically means that if you've got a LGA 1156, 1366 or 1155 motherboard, you should be getting 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, or 1600Mhz if you're overclocking. It's not about having uberfast 2400Mhz DDR3 super-RAM, it's about providing RAM at the speed your CPU bus can handle. If a motherboard only supports DDR2 RAM, then you know it's designed for weaker CPUs with less bandwidth between the CPU and RAM (via the Northbridge IIRC, although Core i doesn't need a Northbridge anymore).

I don't know where to begin with HDDs, so I'll just leave it be. SSDs can benefit average users, since anybody would be happier if their computer booted up much faster and the programs loaded quicker. The tradeoff for the extra speed is the price (and smaller capacity), so it's only recommended for those with high-end/enthusiast grade computers and a budget to match.

QUOTE said:
The one from TD is a 3.0GHz, the one from Aijelsop/BB is 2.0GHz.
QUOTEProcessor Class: Athlon II

Processor Number: 170u

Processor Speed: 2.00GHz
That quote is from tigerdirect. I can't resist saying this: You phail at spot the difference.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
QUOTE said:
The one from TD is a 3.0GHz, the one from Aijelsop/BB is 2.0GHz.
QUOTEProcessor Class: Athlon II

Processor Number: 170u

Processor Speed: 2.00GHz
That quote is from tigerdirect. I can't resist saying this: You phail at spot the difference.
Sorry, I mistyped.
I meant the one from Aijelsop's link is 3.0GHz, the TD/BB is 2.0GHz.

Also, you have a real douchy attitude... constantly.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
This is making me crack up.
QUOTE said:
#
Processor
AMD Athlon™ II
#
Processor Speed
2.0GHz
That's quoted from the Specifications tab in Aij's link.

QUOTEAlso, you have a real douchy attitude... constantly.
It's not constantly, it just comes and goes in waves, depending on the type of people I'm talking to. I'm normally patient and helpful first, then increasingly cynical/sardonic when my efforts get wasted.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
And D34DL1N3R, the point of the thread is to provide people with the best options they have for a computer for their given requirements. Saying "Well, just have like $800 more and buy this stuff" is stupid. Some people have a limited budget and some people aren't willing to wait years gathering all that cash. For someone like me who gets money on a not-so-frequent basis, saying "Save up an extra couple hundred dollars" is not an option. I would like a gaming computer sometime in the near future, and that's my limitations.

Exactly! The thing is, you can't get a gaming computer that will run "most relatively recent games on medium" for $450. There are plenty of ways to come up with an additional $200 quickly and easily - it just sounds like you are unwilling to do so.

I'd like to know the specs on the suggested Dell because the link says no longer available. If you aren't willing to take my advise, then at least I can provide you with far better options than a Dell. Did you even look at the links I gave? They have systems in your price range that will crap on a Dell at the same price but I can promise you that at $450 you won't be playing recent games on medium at a decent frame rate. Well possibly some of them, if you want to play in 800x600.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
This is making me crack up.
QUOTE said:
#
Processor
AMD Athlon™ II
#
Processor Speed
2.0GHz
That's quoted from the Specifications tab in Aij's link.You must be reading a different users post then.....

QUOTE said:
Powerful Intel 3.0GHz LGA 775 CPU (800FSB 1MB CPU Cache),
Super Fast and Powerful Intel 3.0GHz LGA775 CPU, Multifuntion between many Programs simultaneously without Problem
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-GX620-Interlace...d=137RI4M68Q1L0

You attribute a BestBuy link to Aijelsop, but I don't see a post of his with a BestBuy in it.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
D34DL1N3R said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Exactly! The thing is, you can't get a gaming computer that will run "most relatively recent games on medium" for $450. There are plenty of ways to come up with an additional $200 quickly and easily - it just sounds like you are unwilling to do so.

I'd like to know the specs on the suggested Dell because the link says no longer available. If you aren't willing to take my advise, then at least I can provide you with far better options than a Dell. Did you even look at the links I gave? They have systems in your price range that will crap on a Dell at the same price but I can promise you that at $450 you won't be playing recent games on medium at a decent frame rate. Well possibly some of them, if you want to play in 800x600.
A 5750 GPU with a Atlon II X4 630 and 4gb of RAM can run Crysis at 30FPS on 1280x1024. And it costs 450$.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pyrmon24 said:
To show it could run a very demanding game, although not necessarily nicely.
there was really no point in bringing up Crysis 2 .
simply "running" a game doesn't give the system value . what's the point of being able to run a game when it isn't even playable ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :cry: You arent'? :cry:
    [tells my mom not to send you anymore Christmas presents] :evil: :rofl2: :tpi:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im a minor
    So. I'm a Major
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im under 18
    I'm waaaaaaaaaay over 18. lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that makes you a pedo
    Pedo = 1. child 2. boy 3. ? I forgot. But I wish I were still a "Boy" :sad::cry::cry::cry:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant simping over someone under 18 while you are over 18 makes you a pedophile
    And when did I "simp" you?
    Just go make me the darn coffee :angry:
    Tea?
    LoL lmao
    L8er dude. going to watch YT's on the Ukraine/ruskie war.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi,tbh i think im
    not interested in whats going on irl
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    tomorrow's memorial day, so i've been looking for a playlist, but it's all just country and alternative rock
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, memorial day for who?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why the hell can't i find one with a song about the soldiers who died in battle, the very reason we celebrate
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Bake them a cake :ninja:
    +1
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    I can change my name back tomorrow
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, what will your new username be?
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    My original one
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Stayin inside for memorial day. Just like other holidays, most people dont care or think about the actual reasons behind it. For most it's just another reason to get shit faced drunk and spout off hyper-patriotic nonsense. The Trumpers around here going to be out in full force with their trucks and guns and flags making noise all over town. Hard pass.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Stayin inside for memorial day. Just like other holidays, most people dont care or think about...