The Xbox 360 is 18 years old

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
What's up with there still being no software exploit? Consoles as new as the PS5 have software homebrew exploits, yet the 360 is still completely secure. Did Microsoft really take its time with hack-proofing its firmware?

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The King Kong Shader exploit is technically a software exploit - but it requires/d are hardware mod to trigger.
But you are comparing apples and pears tbh, because even the latest revision of the Xbox 360 is still not hacked.
Microsoft does know how to make their boxes secure.
But they also know how to draw away the attention from the hackers that might become dangerous to them.
The skilled people only want to run homebrew, which they can do in dev mode.
And the pirates seem to be fine with game pass, since it gives you most of the latest games for a small fee without any cat and mouse game.

Two points where Nintendo and Sony fail - that's why I think they are interesting targets to hack (apart from the larger user count).

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never heard anyone refer to Xbox 360 as The Xbox 360, but you're right it'd be nice to have an easy hack for it.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
For all of this time, I didn't know that the Xobx 360 to this day is still hard to crazk open. yeah there's the Hong Kong exploit, but it's much harder to do that than to do something like the WiiU or the PS3.

Speaking of the PS3, has that system have been hacked yet? And if so, what is the potential that it has compared to something like the original Xbox with it's extensive library of games that it can enjoy?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For all of this time, I didn't know that the Xobx 360 to this day is still hard to crazk open. yeah there's the Hong Kong exploit, but it's much harder to do that than to do something like the WiiU or the PS3.

Speaking of the PS3, has that system have been hacked yet? And if so, what is the potential that it has compared to something like the original Xbox with it's extensive library of games that it can enjoy?
Yep.

PS3 can be hacked in like 5mins or less, no joke.

• Love
Reactions: DragonMals

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"On the other side, if you have a 4552 or later kernel version, you can not use this exploit. The exploit was fixed in 4552 and onwards."

Is there a way to flash an older kernel?
Not since it has e-fuses that burn out with updates.

That being said, it might be possible to modify an old kernel with newer kernel numbers, but then it wouldn't work because of needing to be properly signed.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh damn, really? Incredible! What does the PS3 have for potential? What can it play?
PS1, PS2 (ISOs and Emulated versions from the PSN), PS3 (of course), and other retro consoles. It's fantastic really and you can customize the boot up screen and sound of the system if you don't want the standard.

Mine has the PS buttons as the boot up screen with the PS1 boot up sound.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
PS1, PS2 (ISOs and Emulated versions from the PSN), PS3 (of course), and other retro consoles. It's fantastic really and you can customize the boot up screen and sound of the system if you don't want the standard.

Mine has the PS buttons as the boot up screen with the PS1 boot up sound.

Okay, that sounds more promising than the original Xbox. Does modding allow non-ps2 compatible ps3s to play ps2 games? Although it sounds obvious, I'm asking cause I'm still learning things.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Not since it has e-fuses that burn out with updates.

That being said, it might be possible to modify an old kernel with newer kernel numbers, but then it wouldn't work because of needing to be properly signed.
Of fucking course there are the fuses. The units with the proper kernel flashed probably sell for quite a lot.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, that sounds more promising than the original Xbox. Does modding allow non-ps2 compatible ps3s to play ps2 games? Although it sounds obvious, I'm asking cause I'm still learning things.
Via ISO you'll find out if it works.

Dead or Alive 2 on PS3 is just playable at best, while the Dreamcast and Xbox (remake) are the best ones.

On PS3, the best DoA is the 5th one.

Reactions: DragonMals

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
Via ISO you'll find out if it works.

Dead or Alive 2 on PS3 is just playable at best, while the Dreamcast and Xbox (remake) are the best ones.

On PS3, the best DoA is the 5th one.

Where is the best place that I can get a PS3 Slim/SuperSlim? We bought 3 og ones and they all died on us

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Of fucking course there are the fuses. The units with the proper kernel flashed probably sell for quite a lot.

Nah, no one gives a shit about King Kong exploit anymore.

No one wants to buy an old unreliable Xenon console, to run an exploit, that does nothing other than load linux (that's as far as the King Kong exploit went iirc, and you're also stuck on that Xbox kernal, so no newer xbox games), when you can buy a nice reliable late Falcon/Jasper/any slim except winchester, RGH it and do so much more.

As for no new software exploit, Microsoft locked it down, simple as that. Not like no one was looking, just nothing there. Same as there is nothing for Winchester since MS fixed RGH.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay