TheFlow has hacked the PlayStation Portal, manages to run PPSSPP natively on the device

pspiortal.png

TheFlow is up to his old tricks, hacking PlayStation hardware once more. After a month of tinkering around, he's managed to get past the security on Sony's PlayStation Portal streaming handheld, and even gotten PSP games to load on it by running the PPSSPP emulator for Android. He credits fellow scene hackers xyz and ZetaTwo for the help in hacking the Portal, and says that he might showcase some videos of PPSSPP running on the device sometime this weekend. For now, there's no plans to release his hack to the public, and TheFlow claims there's still a lot of work to be done in the future.

whitesword7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, he should have done something specifically for you, how selfish of him to do passion projects like that.
I mean if he didn’t plan to release it at all then its more harm for the hacking community, since by the time other people found the exploit, Sony will already patched it because of his post

imagine if during this whole psp/psvita era he only post the exploit but never released a single thing. There’s nothing wrong with wanting him to release it

Last edited by whitesword7,

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean if he didn’t plan to release it at all then its more harm for the hacking community, since by the time other people found the exploit, Sony will already patched it because of his post

i think that the flow will soon realize that the community has lost all respect for him and he can have his sony money. he wont be considered a real hacker if he just talks and doesnt release stuff.

these look at me situations now are just bad karma on the people doing thems part. id rather there be no hack that to know that some dude thats being a douche is saying he hacked it but not sharing the hack.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's just one small problem which is for just a bit more price you can buy a Snapdragon 8 Gen2 with 8000mah battery + 8GB of memory (RAM) with the AYN Odyn 2.

It really doesn't get much better in those kinds of hardware other than jumping to PC handheld cause it really only lacks OLED to be the complete anihilation in terms of smartphone/tablet SOC device for the price...

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have to ask, does the Portal use Android as its OS?
It doesn't have OS per se, one that you can use anyway. When you boot it up it'll go right into the ps remote play app, similar to the app on OSX, Android etc. Out of the box, it's VERY limited in term of what it can do. It's basically a PS5 companion only, without the actual console, it's useless. I mean it doesn't even have bluetooth.

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
The entitledness of some people are reaching new heights. TheFl0w is a security engineer, his job is to discover exploits. He made significant advances in the Vita scene and brought the jailbreak to higher firmwares, also made it possible for lower firmwares to play newer games. He also discovered the ps5 jailbreak.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Such a half done device in so many ways. Missing bluetooth for the sake of it. Neither a full portable or cloud device.

Even if they made a portable that couldn't play every game, it would still have still been nice for indie games. It could have had other apps, like their own cloud service. A reason to buy it, outside of a remote play device and you could still use it for that.

Last edited by KingVamp,

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS hacking scene would literally be dead without this guy so lmao to all the people angry at TheFlow over not releasing a hack for a crappy Android tablet
I don't think people are mad about it just that an s3 could probably run psp.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Honesty not even this hack makes me wanna get the darn thing. Just like not even the thing being hackable made me get a PlayStation Classic.

I don't want to encourage Sony crap ideas.

Modder_Boi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve been looking into getting one of these for a while now, and now I actually have a good reason to. Does anyone know if it’s still maintains the original streaming functionality on top of PPSSPP (or if this will even be available to the public)?

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
What else can it run, from a technical standpoint?

It is and Android-based device running on a Snapdragon 662. Looking at similar devices, I'd say it'll emulate mostly fine up to Dreamcast on the home console side and some light GameCube games with compromises (like frame skip). On the handheld side, like you see, fine until the PSP, and you'll probably be able to squeeze some light 3DS games as well.
Post automatically merged:

I wonder what type of OS this thing runs
Android.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay... Now what? It's cool, but I hope this doesn't entice people to buy this product cuz "muh piracy"...
Wouldn't worry too much about that given how saturated the market for emulation portables currently is, not to mention the market for portable PCs. Even most smartphones can emulate PSP just fine. Portal is both overpriced and redundant, hacked or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1