Hardware Thermal Pad on Memory Modules and on top of the Shim?

aranorde

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2.png
1.png

Pictures from @Rain82 's post

I would also like to do something like this to improve the Switch's thermal performance. I just want to know if its actually effective or maybe not all that required. Also would like to know the preferred thermal pad thickness for this.
I like to juice every bit of performance out of this and I have some 16W/mk .5mm thermal pads laying around that I can use - hope it fits.

Any help is appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

Medel87

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
First image 0.5mm, second image 1.5mm, you can put 0.5mm at pipe and nand, pipe only the part near the shim, or in the metal case like second image

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unneeded. The memory chips don't get hot enough to need it and the shield won't dissipate any more heat than the heat pipe. Don't overthink it, just replace the thermal compound between the CPU and the heat pipe.

aranorde

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First image 0.5mm, second image 1.5mm, you can put 0.5mm at pipe and nand, pipe only the part near the shim, or in the metal case like second image
Thanks, are you sure its 1.5mm outside? I've been searching around and found that 1.0mm is enough. Thicker pads can bend the shield plate apparently.

Edit :

You can see that there is quite a bit of indent in the plate, so once flipped the gap is much closer to the shim. (Area marked in 3).
IMG_20190516_210731.jpg

Last edited by aranorde,

Medel87

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thanks, are you sure its 1.5mm outside? I've been searching around and found that 1.0mm is enough. Thicker pads can bend the shield plate apparently.

Edit :

You can see that there is quite a bit of indent in the plate, so once flipped the gap is much closer to the shim. (Area marked in 3).
View attachment 378039
Yes, only yellow is 1.5mm, the other three are 0.5mm

Attachments

• MOD-2.jpg
    MOD-2.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 58
  • MOD-1.jpg
    MOD-1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 55

aranorde

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, only yellow is 1.5mm, the other three are 0.5mm

So 0.5mm on NAND, 0.5mm on the heat-pipe and 1.5mm on the shim?

Also I have some Thermal Putty (Zezzio ZT-PY6 13W/mk same as my 0.5mm pads), I think replacing the pad with the putty on the heat-pipe will be a better solution here. What do you think?

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unneeded. The memory chips don't get hot enough to need it and the shield won't dissipate any more heat than the heat pipe. Don't overthink it, just replace the thermal compound between the CPU and the heat pipe.
Let the kids play, lol.

Medel87

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So 0.5mm on NAND, 0.5mm on the heat-pipe and 1.5mm on the shim?

Also I have some Thermal Putty (Zezzio ZT-PY6 13W/mk same as my 0.5mm pads), I think replacing the pad with the putty on the heat-pipe will be a better solution here. What do you think?
Yes, and 0.5mm at rams too.

About thermal putty, I don't know if it will be better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one