Hardware Thermal paste for computer noob

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I finally was able to obtain an Optiplex PC to turn it into a budget gaming PC. Now I was thinking about getting the thermal paste replaced once I receive it, and I would like to know which brand you would recommend the most nowadays. I've been seeing videos about best thermal paste for this year, but I would like to also know what you would recommend from your experience, especially one that I can also apply to the GPU. Thanks in advance.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I generally prefer "silver" to silicon grease, but note that all the car peeps I deal with where heat coupling matters and you experience big boy temperatures have silicon grease packets, and certainly those thermal pads that might come as stock and rip if you so much as look at them and are thick enough to matter (they are however easy to apply in the factory and just about work so they get used). I certainly don't pay up for anything here beyond the £10/$15 syringe you might find in a half decent computer/electronics shop, and such things last me (theoreticaly a computer fixing type) years where I service several laptops and computers a year.

Beyond that if you are asking this question then the type does not really matter -- the differences between them at anything you are likely to be doing are negligible and offset considerably if you move from a hot attic to a cool basement/open a window/turn air conditioning on/crank the fan speed one more notch, or indeed blow out the dust and make sure air flow within the case.

Clean it properly and apply it properly (not too much, whether you spread it or allow the pressure to do it for you is even a debate) and you are good. None are going to last ridiculously longer than the other (timeline wise the device will probably need to be replaced/considered second rate long before then/need a general dedusting and cap replacement which means an extra 5 minutes to do paste is meaningless), be that much easier to apply (give or take the fondness for the almost liquid stuff that is going to be harder for no real gain and probably more expense because fashion) or give you particularly notable results. Some people however seem to enjoy getting lost in the weeds of such things, I treat them similar to how I treat those people that spend thousands on audio gear that makes bugger all difference that anybody outside a lab (and possibly not even then) will be able to measure.
If you fancy a minor science lesson. Properly flat things are hard to make (really hard, beyond what your $400 chip will cost) and as air pockets don't conduct as well as metal-metal contact then the super thin layer of paste is there to fill in said gaps and take it from a convection and radiation (which barely applies) model of heat transfer into a primarily conduction one in those local zones of air pockets. It is so thin that the thermal conductivity of the coupling medium in question, which either way is going to be reasonable, pales in comparison to its length ( https://www.toppr.com/guides/physics-formulas/thermal-conductivity-formula/ is a bit basic but serves as a reasonable intro). The people that sell it will have also checked it is not going to thermally decompose under expected temperatures (and given semiconductors fail to be semiconductors are comparatively low temperatures compared to things where heat transfer/heat engines is a concept you care about that means you will be under them) in any kind of notable timeline for these purposes.

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I generally prefer "silver" to silicon grease, but note that all the car peeps I deal with where heat coupling matters and you experience big boy temperatures have silicon grease packets, and certainly those thermal pads that might come as stock and rip if you so much as look at them and are thick enough to matter (they are however easy to apply in the factory and just about work so they get used). I certainly don't pay up for anything here beyond the £10/$15 syringe you might find in a half decent computer/electronics shop, and such things last me (theoreticaly a computer fixing type) years where I service several laptops and computers a year.

Beyond that if you are asking this question then the type does not really matter -- the differences between them at anything you are likely to be doing are negligible and offset considerably if you move from a hot attic to a cool basement/open a window/turn air conditioning on/crank the fan speed one more notch, or indeed blow out the dust and make sure air flow within the case.

Clean it properly and apply it properly (not too much, whether you spread it or allow the pressure to do it for you is even a debate) and you are good. None are going to last ridiculously longer than the other (timeline wise the device will probably need to be replaced/considered second rate long before then/need a general dedusting and cap replacement which means an extra 5 minutes to do paste is meaningless), be that much easier to apply (give or take the fondness for the almost liquid stuff that is going to be harder for no real gain and probably more expense because fashion) or give you particularly notable results. Some people however seem to enjoy getting lost in the weeds of such things, I treat them similar to how I treat those people that spend thousands on audio gear that makes bugger all difference that anybody outside a lab (and possibly not even then) will be able to measure.
If you fancy a minor science lesson. Properly flat things are hard to make (really hard, beyond what your $400 chip will cost) and as air pockets don't conduct as well as metal-metal contact then the super thin layer of paste is there to fill in said gaps and take it from a convection and radiation (which barely applies) model of heat transfer into a primarily conduction one in those local zones of air pockets. It is so thin that the thermal conductivity of the coupling medium in question, which either way is going to be reasonable, pales in comparison to its length ( https://www.toppr.com/guides/physics-formulas/thermal-conductivity-formula/ is a bit basic but serves as a reasonable intro). The people that sell it will have also checked it is not going to thermally decompose under expected temperatures (and given semiconductors fail to be semiconductors are comparatively low temperatures compared to things where heat transfer/heat engines is a concept you care about that means you will be under them) in any kind of notable timeline for these purposes.
Wrong thread, buddy.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All thermal paste pretty much work the same (aside from being conductive and non-conductive).

I prefer to use Thermal Grizzly (Kryonaut). It's expensive, but a whole tube should last a couple of builds.

Reactions: rantex92

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh? You were asking about thermal paste, that was my general approach to such things.
Oh, my bad. When I read the first sentences I was very confused, but then I read the comment properly, and I understood better. It's an interesting and informative post and I'll keep that in mind when I buy my new thermal paste. Thanks!👍B-)

Last edited by MushGuy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1