Hacking Thinking of using my DS Lite as a serious movie player - what are my o

ceanth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so i cant get movies working on my Nokia phone (no divx support plus small-ish screen).

So i wanted to know what my options were with the DS. Is moonshell the only movie player i can use? I tried it once and i had an annoying purple screen on the touch screen.

I would like to be able to watch movies on the top screen so i can rest the DS on my table or on my bed or on the train.

Thanks,

C.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your serious about watching movie on the go then get something else
like one the many mp3 players that can play video also, or a PSP

mhkwong

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Joe88 said:
if your serious about watching movie on the go then get something else
like one the many mp3 players that can play video also, or a PSP

I have to agree you there... if you are serious, use a PSP or an Ipod classic/video to watch movies.
when video is encoded for the DS. the quality is really poor. PSP is better. and it also takes a long time to encode the videos you want into the right format. Personally, I use my Ipod, to watch movies and tv series on the move.

Ipod classic supports the following formats:

H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

plus... nowadays... a lot of sites offer downloads that is already encoded for the ipod.

mhkwong

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

NeoGunKuruma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiidslover said:
Or you can Buy a Card, Called DS Games and Music, it has a movie player in it, and its not to bad and you can convert the video with a program, its really EZ.
Dear lord, that card is the worst noob bait ever.
The media player on it sucks beyond belief, I mean YouTube compresses videos, but the GnM, well it eats video data and spews up a very bad mess of horrible image conversion.

If you are really serious about portable media, get a PSP.
Used ones are about $100 nowadays. (PSP 1000's)

mhkwong

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lol, im trying to sell both my psp's. got a black one and a white PSP 1000. the white one is boxed and is in mint condition as well.... pm me if you are near london and maybe interested in buying one. let me know ur budget range, if its a fair offer... i might throw in a couple memory cards to go with it.

mbs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i agree the psp has a nice picture. My daughter tries to steal mine for videos but she likes the DS games. You can get rid of the purple screen on the builtin player (for M3 Real) by touching the bottom screen then using the touch menu that will appear on the bottom screen to reselect the top (and voila purple gone).

It's not the PSP but it's not bad either.

mbs

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Moonshell, I believe is often heralded as the best, but there are other players out there. I'm not going to recommend you get another device for video playback, but I suggest you get a nice big memory card for videos. Try Newegg.com for goof prices on memory cards
smile.gif

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
ceanth said:
Ok so i cant get movies working on my Nokia phone (no divx support plus small-ish screen).

Thanks,

C.

May I ask what Nokia phone you have? I use mine to watch movies, anime and tv shows, the screen is smaller than the DS', but the resolution is higher, try converting your videos to mp4 or 3gp.

acky

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lagman said:
ceanth said:

Thanks,

C.

May I ask what Nokia phone you have? I use mine to watch movies, anime and tv shows, the screen is smaller than the DS', but the resolution is higher, try converting your videos to mp4 or 3gp.
I would have to agree. DPG encoded videos were large, had artefacts and went out of sync with the audio. I use my phone to watch videos. There's divx support for s60 but it's better to convert it to mp4.

ceanth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
If your phone is Symbian, there's an official port of DivX player.

I have a Nokia E90 but last time i tried converting a movie it didnt work too well (core player). Had codec issues

BinarySoup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
kingof4j said:
lol, im trying to sell both my psp's. got a black one and a white PSP 1000. the white one is boxed and is in mint condition as well.... pm me if you are near london and maybe interested in buying one. let me know ur budget range, if its a fair offer... i might throw in a couple memory cards to go with it.

what formats can the PSP play? doesn't everything still have to be converted to the right size for PSP or will it downscale the image?

also why's selling PSPs funny? :?

crazyshiza

Trophies
XP
Country
ceanth said:
arctic_flame said:
If your phone is Symbian, there's an official port of DivX player.

I have a Nokia E90 but last time i tried converting a movie it didnt work too well (core player). Had codec issues

The E90 is much better than the DS for watching videos based on my experience from when I carried one.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Ipod classic supports the following formats:

H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
On a 2-inch screen? Are you joking?

The DS would be my last choice for a serious video watching device. It has unneeded bulk, crappy quality, and a tiny screen. Get something else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa https://youtu.be/BKLXOGhXrj4?si=4kXpeyCfxwL_k3qC