insidexdeath

OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People, I'm trying to suggest a way to ensure this site does not become the next 4chan... Ok that might be an exaggeration, but this site's goals seems to me have diverted into something completely different to what it was before, because of immature members.

Last edited by insidexdeath,

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've got a few bits and pieces to say on the matter. On things being a mess, freaking report them. And don't just report a message with the reason "spam" or "retarded" because you don't agree with it, give me a reason why it shouldn't be there and I'll humor you. If you don't give me a reason I don't remove the message. And on more technical things, understand we don't know everything about everything. I'm JUST finally starting to catch up on the 3DS scene, the WiiU one though don't even get me started. So, if you don't give me some details to work with, the longer I have to spend researching something to know whether it should be removed or not is longer that it's sitting there, not removed, if I do anything to it at all. If you see a lot of posts that break the rules, report all of them. But give a legitimate reason as to why. If you're not maliciously abusing the report system you will never get in trouble for reporting too many things. Help us help you.

On the topic of devs leaving because they're in the kitchen but can't handle the heat, we're not here to police the forums and make them an internet safe space for everyone. We're here to make way for (usually) constructive discussions, facilitated by you, the members, and your reports. If something is blatantly hate speech or just straight up shitposting, I will remove it. If someone actually has a negative but valid argument, I will very likely leave it. WHy? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and when we start nuking threads of this and that, we start walking a fine line between "garbage cleaning" and "censorship". I can't tell you how many times people have screamed "OMG CENSORSHIP" at me. My suggestion to devs is to get used to people not liking how you do things. From there, deal with it. I've seen countless devs not able to take the heat, and I've seen countless more who take it all in stride and don't let it get them down. Take a pick on which group wind up being successful.

We're not currently looking for more moderators, we're fairly well staffed as it is. And even if we were, people of moderator quality stature are not a dime a dozen. And to top that off, they still need time to "train" and get acclimated to how everything is supposed to go. Your biggest tool to cleaning up the forum is the report button. Every single report gets read by us. We do not necessarily delete everything that gets reported, but we do make a conscious decision to take no action in that case. So like I said, if you have a problem with something, report it, and give me an actual reason of why you don't think it should be seen on this forum. Do that and you're on the way to making this a better community than it already is, the one you guys love and the one you guys want to keep coming back to.

Sticklyboy the mods issue warnings based on general concensus. If someone reports a post for being trolly a mod should be able to see the post and deduct that the person is being a an asshole. 50% of the 3ds threads of people asking for help have smart ass remarks or straight up cocks talking down on the OP that asked the question. We have mods that won't ban people unless it is a clear cut easy to see,when a normally adjusted people can read between the lines and realize that the poster is being an asshole. Until the culture changes here and suspensions get issued,aswell as a sticky with expected behavior people are going to continue to talk down on people or patronize others.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The pot calling the kettle black.

363557.jpg

You are too old for this.....

Reactions: cvskid

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The way i see it, everyone on this site is technically a mod. Want a post removed? Click the report button and say why. Simple.
We're all part of the community, so we're all resposnible for maintaining it.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way i see it, everyone on this site is technically a mod. Want a post removed? Click the report button and say why. Simple.
We're all part of the community, so we're all resposnible for maintaining it.

You aren't a mod though.That is the problem with the community,everyone THINKS they are mods :rofl2: . As a result the 3ds section is LITTERED with smart asses that feel that they are above others,it is a disgrace. People brick their 3ds because they do NOT want to get chewed out for asking a "dumb" question. What other community tolerates this?

If you're not reporting, you're actively harming the site, so I would start doing that if I were you. It helps out.

There should not be a NEED to report. People should understand what expected behavior is,talking down to members asking a question should be a PERMAban or at the least a suspension. I guarantee the troll attitude would subdue within 2 months,I promise it actually.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You aren't a mod though.That is the problem with the community,everyone THINKS they are mods :rofl2: . As a result the 3ds section is LITTERED with smart asses that feel that they are above others,it is a disgrace. People brick their 3ds because they do NOT want to get chewed out for asking a "dumb" question. What other community tolerates this?
th

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're a pro at being hypocritical.

k3rizz3k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've reported a few things here and there.. I remember going on a bender a few days ago because of flat out rude posts and posts that add nothing but negativity to the forums.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

There should not be a NEED to report. People should understand what expected behavior is,talking down to members asking a question should be a PERMAban or at the least a suspension. I guarantee the troll attitude would subdue within 2 months,I promise it actually.
Think what you say; your words contain so much irony, haha.

Reactions: nxwing

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're a pro at being hypocritical.

Notice how everyone that liked your post has a bunny on their avatar. I am not being hypocritical. You would never have caught me at 15 years old with a bunny as my avatar,again you are too old for this. You literally have people commenting on this thread just to attack me yet I am the troll? SMH :rofl2:

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sticklyboy the mods issue warnings based on general concensus. If someone reports a post for being trolly a mod should be able to see the post and deduct that the person is being a an asshole. 50% of the 3ds threads of people asking for help have smart ass remarks or straight up cocks talking down on the OP that asked the question. We have mods that won't ban people unless it is a clear cut easy to see,when a normally adjusted people can read between the lines and realize that the poster is being an asshole. Until the culture changes here and suspensions get issued,aswell as a sticky with expected behavior people are going to continue to talk down on people or patronize others.

We issue warnings when based on merit, when someone starts to overstep their bounds or really become an issue.

50% of the threads... do the posts get reported? If someone is being a dick, and it winds up being a repeat issue, they will get properly reprimanded for it.

We don't like to ban unless it's absolutely necessary. We try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and a second, sometimes third and fourth chance. Maybe we're too kind in that regard but would you rather it the other way, where one fuckup and you're gone? Also moderators can't ban, FWIW. Only SUpervisors and admins can. Of which there are far fewer, because the moderators handle the brunt of the workload. That's what we do.

Suspensions, not as helpful as you might think. You ever put a kid in time out? Does he go to being a perfect child after that or does he usually go back to being a little shit a few hours later? That's what suspensions tend to do. I can probably count on one hand the amount of people that a suspension has actually made do a complete 180 and they recognized the error of their ways. Majority of the time it's just another way to make sure that someone really wants to get banned (pro tip, tell us and make our lives easier pls thnx)

Stickies? If stickies got read we wouldn't have people asking what the best R4 to buy is the past four years. They're not going to read them to guide their hand in online discussion etiquette. Just the hard truth.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
aswell as a sticky with expected behavior
I was going to reply with just this link, since expected behavior is on there:
https://gbatemp.net/help/terms

But then I realized that, knowing the page existed, I could not find how to get to it without a search engine. I finally found it's the teeny tiny "Terms and Rules" link at the bottom of the page, where most websites hide their fine print. Maybe there's a better place to put it?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I was planning on it. I just always associated reporting as "Tattling" and such. I've rarely ever seen the need to report something other than stupid posts, as that doesn't really happen much here.

The only person who sees who reported something is us. If you report a post that goes to moderator's eyes ONLY. If we think you're getting out of hand with reporting for some reason we will PM you and ask what's going on, unless it's blatantly obvious you're just reporting a bunch of stuff to cause problems. This is why I say if you have a problem with something report it. If you're doing it with good intentions it will only ever help.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We issue warnings when based on merit, when someone starts to overstep their bounds or really become an issue.

50% of the threads... do the posts get reported? If someone is being a dick, and it winds up being a repeat issue, they will get properly reprimanded for it.

We don't like to ban unless it's absolutely necessary. We try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and a second, sometimes third and fourth chance. Maybe we're too kind in that regard but would you rather it the other way, where one fuckup and you're gone? Also moderators can't ban, FWIW. Only SUpervisors and admins can. Of which there are far fewer, because the moderators handle the brunt of the workload. That's what we do.

Suspensions, not as helpful as you might think. You ever put a kid in time out? Does he go to being a perfect child after that or does he usually go back to being a little shit a few hours later? That's what suspensions tend to do. I can probably count on one hand the amount of people that a suspension has actually made do a complete 180 and they recognized the error of their ways. Majority of the time it's just another way to make sure that someone really wants to get banned (pro tip, tell us and make our lives easier pls thnx)

Stickies? If stickies got read we wouldn't have people asking what the best R4 to buy is the past four years. They're not going to read them to guide their hand in online discussion etiquette. Just the hard truth.

Go on ixtreme.net and se7ensins and look at how people talk to each other. After you read a few threads,compare it to people here. It is a disgrace what we have going on here,the forum was not like this when I was here in 2008. I started modding my xbox when I was 10 years old and no one cared that I was a kid,they still expected me to follow the rules. Was always treated with the utmost respect.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to reply with just this link, since expected behavior is on there:
https://gbatemp.net/help/terms

But then I realized that, knowing the page existed, I could not find how to get to it without a search engine. I finally found it's the teeny tiny "Terms and Rules" link at the bottom of the page, where most websites hide their fine print. Maybe there's a better place to put it?

Same here actually,I read through the rules and it was an ancient thread with barely any updates. No one even cares about the rules,it is completely symbolic. Part of the problem is that the latest generation of kids has absolutely no rules and calls their mom "You fucking BITCH I SAID I AM HUNGRY" and they bring that attitude over here and expect us to put up with it. They see they don't get banned so more of their little "buddies" join up and before you know it the situation is COMPLETELY out of the hands of the 5 moderators we have for the 2 million members.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go on ixtreme.net and se7ensins and look at how people talk to each other. After you read a few threads,compare it to people here. It is a disgrace what we have going on here,the forum was not like this when I was here in 2008. I started modding my xbox when I was 10 years old and no one cared that I was a kid,they still expected me to follow the rules. Was always treated with the utmost respect.

I've been on both of those sites within the past few years. If you don't go into a thread ready to kiss the feet of whoever helps you and armed with enough knowledge to already get yourself by anyway you're gonna have a really rough time there. I've seen a much more elitist attitude from them towards noobs than I have here, not to say that we are a stunning example of civility either.

k3rizz3k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@funnystory I actually remember you helping me when I was new.
Your attitude seems to have changed over the years though, not that I hate or dislike you, just seem different.

Last edited by k3rizz3k,
Reactions: funnystory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious