Gaming This is what Nintendo needs to do to turn around the Wii U situation.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
lol FF7 remake on wii u? KH3 on wii u? you're dreaming. your plan is basically "nintendo buy every single good developer". not going to happen.

Nintendo need to for this generation really concentrate on their software development and in-house development. Maybe invest in a few new studios. Concentrate on the JRPG genre, platformers and more innovative titles. Contact Indie developers and see if they'd like to port their titles over whilst improving them with the Wii U Gamepad. Vita have basically been relying on this and its worked well. A quick browse of STEAM and Metacritic will unearth gems like the Stanley Parable which if ported over to the Wii U could steady the ship whilst Nintendo get their acts together.

Third party support is not a possibility for this generation. The split screen and Wii U gamepad is too much hassle for most developers who make their titles on PCs. The PS4/XB1 are basically Pcs=Easy ports. Sadly not the same for the Wii u. Also the Wii U is underpowered compared to everything else this generation. losing 3rd party developers doesn't decrease the quality of games.. but it does shorten the spectrum of genres available.. which will upset the casual players. to reitterate, nintendo's only heroes will be themselves. They really need to step it up and start churning out quality title after quality title. Most importantly, they shouldn't sacrifice the 3DS's successes to try and revive the Wii U... as the 3DS's potential is enormous as its already beaten the vita hands down. also i'm sure they know that if they drop a 3D huge RPG pokemon game on the Wii U or ANY console in the future.. they will probably win that generation. but it will also severely impact on their portable sales + respective pokemon titles on those devices so I don't think it will happen anytime soon/ever.

If they get their act together, the wii U's library could be:

Super Mario 3D Land
Rayman Legends
Wind Waker HD
Pikmin 3
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Wonderful 101
SSBB
MK8
Mario Tennis
Bayonetta 2
DK Wii U
Child of Light
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
X
Yoshi U
Hyrule Monsters
Zelda U
Mario Party U

which to me looks EXTREMELY strong in that you can only get those titles from this system. Add another pricedrop on the console and you'll find a lot of people will pick up the system even if its only to play 1-2 exclusives. Its a lot of games to ask get released in the next 18-24 months but if they pull it off, it could end up being a real winner.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
which to me looks EXTREMELY strong in that you can only get those titles from this system.
That's the thing though - it doesn't. It shows no variety, it consists mostly of Nintendo's first-party. Here's what's wrong with it:
  • Mario 3D Land, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Tenis, Mario: Yoshi's Island... This is missing something, how about Mario Takes the Dog for a Walk and Mario Does the Plumbing? I don't think we have enough Mario titles...
  • Wind Waker HD: Can't Wait to be Bored in HD
  • Pikimin 3 appeals to the niche audience who had a Gamecube... so... uhm...
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, as much as I like the game, is a Wii remake. We've already played this game on their previous system. Not only that, the game is niche in the west to begin with. Not only that, it's also out for the 3DS, and everybody and their dog already has a 3DS... so...
  • Wonderful 101 bombed.
  • SSBB... ehh... it's a fighter specifically-crafted for people who love Nintendo characters - it's not going to appeal to anyone beyond that specific audience... moreover, you can get that game on the 3DS, so why bother?
  • Bayonetta 2 could be pretty cool, I'm waiting for that one.
  • DK Wii U looks like more of the same, but then again, I was never a fan of the series.
  • Child of Light and Rayman Legends are multiplatform titles, as such, they're not exactly dragging people to the Wii U - you can get them on anything.
  • Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem... will definitely succeed in Japan. Here's for hoping western gamers will be at least mildly interested in the game, as both franchises are good... I doubt it, but one can hope.
  • Xenoblade Yawnicles was boring as all hell and I'm afraid so will X, but at least it looks spectacular.
  • That new Hyrule game looks cool - shame that Nintendrones are not willing to accept change and don't want to try anything different despite claiming to be the innovative bunch.
  • Zelda U... would be nice, I guess. Of course with that in mind, if Nintendo learned their lesson about HD development, we're more likely to see it within two years... but oh well. :P

Reactions: PityOnU

fossda

Trophies
XP
Country
That's the thing though - it doesn't. It shows no variety, it consists mostly of Nintendo's first-party. Here's what's wrong with it:
  • Mario 3D Land, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Tenis, Mario: Yoshi's Island... This is missing something, how about Mario Takes the Dog for a Walk and Mario Does the Plumbing? I don't think we have enough Mario titles...
  • Wind Waker HD: Can't Wait to be Bored in HD
  • Pikimin 3 appeals to the niche audience who had a Gamecube... so... uhm...
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, as much as I like the game, is a Wii remake. We've already played this game on their previous system. Not only that, the game is niche in the west to begin with. Not only that, it's also out for the 3DS, and everybody and their dog already has a 3DS... so...
  • Wonderful 101 bombed.
  • SSBB... ehh... it's a fighter specifically-crafted for people who love Nintendo characters - it's not going to appeal to anyone beyond that specific audience... moreover, you can get that game on the 3DS, so why bother?
  • Bayonetta 2 could be pretty cool, I'm waiting for that one.
  • DK Wii U looks like more of the same, but then again, I was never a fan of the series.
  • Child of Light and Rayman Legends are multiplatform titles, as such, they're not exactly dragging people to the Wii U - you can get them on anything.
  • Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem... will definitely succeed in Japan. Here's for hoping western gamers will be at least mildly interested in the game, as both franchises are good... I doubt it, but one can hope.
  • Xenoblade Yawnicles was boring as all hell and I'm afraid so will X, but at least it looks spectacular.
  • That new Hyrule game looks cool - shame that Nintendrones are not willing to accept change and don't want to try anything different despite claiming to be the innovative bunch.
  • Zelda U... would be nice, I guess. Of course with that in mind, if Nintendo learned their lesson about HD development, we're more likely to see it within two years... but oh well. :P
There's 18 games in the list. That, with all the other good games for Wii U, is alot of variety.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's 18 games in the list. That, with all the other good games for Wii U, is alot of variety.
You don't seem to understand what "variety" is. In those 18 games I don't see any:
  • FPS'es (Hello? Metroid Prime 4, maybe?)
  • Fighting games (Unless you want to count Bayonetta 2 or Hyrule Warriors as fighting game off-shots... or unless you count SSBB, which is really a brawler more than anything)
  • TPS'es (Something a'la Uncharted would be nice...?)
  • WRPG's (and this is a problem in the age of Mass Effect's and Dragon Ages)
  • Racing games (except Mario Kart, the one kart racer to rule them all, but a standard racing game would've been nice)
What I do see is the typical Nintendo offering - a fistful of Mario titles, some better than others, some reocurring franchises (DK, yawnicles), the mandatory Smash Bros. game, at least one Zelda and a tiny sprinkle of third-party that still cared. It looks bizzarely like the Gamecube offering and the Gamecube failed. ;)

Reactions: gamefan5

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

etc. etc.

I will have to say that you bring up some very good points, sir. But at the same time, you must consider:

Wii U Exclusives

Bayonetta 2
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Game & Wario
Hyrule Warriors
Lego City Undercover
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Mario Kart 8
New Super Luigi U
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3
Rabbids Land
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
SiNG PARTY
Sonic Lost World
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version
Tank! Tank! Tank!
Untitled The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
The Wonderful 101
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
X
Yarn Yoshi
ZombiU

Xbox One Exclusives

Crimson Dragon
D4
Dead Rising 3
Fable Legends
Fighter Within !Fighter Within
Forza Motorsport 5
Halo Xbox One
Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct Classic
Kinect Sports Rivals
Powerstar Golf
Quantum Break
Ryse: Son of Rome
Sunset Overdrive
Xbox Fitness

PlayStation 4 Exclusives

Basement Crawl
Driveclub
Earth Defence Force
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
The Idolmaster (working title)
Infamous: Second Son
Joysound Dive 2
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
Lily Bergamo
Mobile Suit Gundam (working title)
N++
Nikoli no Puzzle 4: Sudoku
The Order: 1886
Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds Overdrive
Pool Nation Extreme/FX
Resogun
Rime
Shadow of the Beast
Uncharted 4
Velocity 2X

Each console has a very clear audience it is aiming for with exclusives.

Wii U is aiming at people who like Nintendo and/or nice bright colors (kids).

Xbox One is very clearly poised to dominate Western markets in the young adult age group.

PlayStation 4 seems to be aiming at an audience that enjoys AAA titles and graphics but are bored of the mainstream titles (in the West, at least).

Personally, I like Nintendo and am a young adult from the West. Different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: fdias

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Personally, I like Nintendo and am a young adult from the West. Different strokes for different folks.
The problem that arises here is content beyond the level of exclusives - the Wii U offers its exclusives and very little beyond that. As far as the big name companies are concerned, only Ubisoft stuck with the U-Boot, wheras the PS4 and the XBox One will offer tons of multiplatform titles which is an advantage for the Average Joe.

Don't get me wrong, as I've said in this thread before, multiplatform titles on an individual basis don't sway the consumer either way - support on the other hand does. Two of those systems have it and one doesn't, and that alone is a rather poor prospect for the future.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem that arises here is content beyond the level of exclusives - the Wii U offers its exclusives and very little beyond that. As far as the big name companies are concerned, only Ubisoft stuck with the U-Boot, wheras the PS4 and the XBox One will offer tons of multiplatform titles.

Don't get me wrong, as I've said in this thread before, multiplatform titles on an individual basis don't sway the consumer either way - support on the other hand does. Two of those systems have it and one doesn't, and that alone is a rather poor prospect for the future.

I will admit, this is true.

Personally, though, I have a gaming PC so I don't really care about any games on console short of exclusives. Perhaps that's the reason my opinion is the way it is. :unsure:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I will admit, this is true.

Personally, though, I have a gaming PC so I don't really care about any games on console short of exclusives. Perhaps that's the reason my opinion is the way it is. :unsure:
Alas, we end up at the point at which we usually end up in these debates - if you like Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, God of War, KillZone or other PlayStation exclusives, stick with PlayStation. If you like Mario, Metroid, Zelda or Donkey Kong, go for Nintendo. If you like Forza, Gears of War, Halo or Fable, Microsoft will be to your liking.

Each and every system has something to offer which is why each and every one has some merit to it - the key is to pick the one that gives you what you want. :)

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alas, we end up at the point at which we usually end up in these debates - if you like Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, God of War, KillZone or other PlayStation exclusives, stick with PlayStation. If you like Mario, Metroid, Zelda or Donkey Kong, go for Nintendo. If you like Forza, Gears of War, Halo or Fable, Microsoft will be to your liking.

Each and every system has something to offer which is why each and every one has some merit to it - the key is to pick the one that gives you what you want. :)

Well said, sir.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
You don't seem to understand what "variety" is. In those 18 games I don't see any:
  • FPS'es (Hello? Metroid Prime 4, maybe?)
  • Fighting games (Unless you want to count Bayonetta 2 or Hyrule Warriors as fighting game off-shots... or unless you count SSBB, which is really a brawler more than anything)
  • TPS'es (Something a'la Uncharted would be nice...?)
  • WRPG's (and this is a problem in the age of Mass Effect's and Dragon Ages)
  • Racing games (except Mario Kart, the one kart racer to rule them all, but a standard racing game would've been nice)
What I do see is the typical Nintendo offering - a fistful of Mario titles, some better than others, some reocurring franchises (DK, yawnicles), the mandatory Smash Bros. game, at least one Zelda and a tiny sprinkle of third-party that still cared. It looks bizzarely like the Gamecube offering and the Gamecube failed. ;)

in this post you've just discarded SSBB and MK8 which are both probably going to end up as the best fighting and racing games of this generation if sales pick up for the Wii U. nintendo making a half arsed racing game just because "a standard racing game would've been nice" would be retarded. it would not be able to compete with the forza's of the world, it would bomb and people who have wii-u's would pick up MK8 instead.
also lol@ how you discarded xenoblade chronicles with a metacritic score of 92. honestly.. lol.

theres no doubt that nintendo losing third party support is a big loss and mistake on their part but all they can do now is put faith in what they do best and invest for the future. if i were to place a bet, i'd wager the wii U coming in last place this generation BUT there is hope they can have a successful year in 2014 with some big titles seeing play.

I'd also think if someone wants to play uncharted... get a PS4... or a Mass Effect/Dragon Age.. definitley a PC because it is by far the superior version. Nintendo will stand no chance grabbing those fans away from their respective allegienaces with what they have in-house ATM. it does come down to get the system with the games you want. the ps4 and xbox1 will cater to the mainstream and grab most casuals this gen because the wii u has lost third party support. nintendo needs to concentrate now on quality titles to get the core gamers who can appreciate a xenoblade chronicles, zelda ocarina of time etc. on board. idiots who can't appreciate the gameplay mechanics, differences and evolution from mario game to mario game but instead need a new IP/character to make them realise OMG THIS IS A NEW GAME.. will not be nintendo's target audience this gen sadly.

then again.. you are right. i have a gaming PC. i want to get a wii U. but if i had to pick between a wii U and a PS4.. i'd pick the PS4 because I really want KH4/FF15 and whatever Naughty Dog offers. also their PS+ service near the end of the generation was OUTSTANDING. the 3DS gives me enough Nintendo goodness for now. however, if the wii U were to get a nice pricedrop... then i'd be enticed.
i think nintendo dropped the ball on just how underpowered they made the wii U. they should have competed from a hardware perspective this gen to show third party studios they aren't going to keep riding on gimicks.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think nintendo dropped the ball on just how underpowered they made the wii U. they should have competed from a hardware perspective this gen to show third party studios they aren't going to keep riding on gimicks.

Eh. I like the gimmicks. They keep it fresh and new, as opposed to just prettier.

That being said, more power would have been nice. Did anyone else notice the pop in on SM3DW? Ouch. :( I wonder if the download version had that as well?

Reactions: T Link7

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
in this post you've just discarded SSBB and MK8 which are both probably going to end up as the best fighting and racing games of this generation (...)
I thought that the sides would be one of the toughest spots on the human body, considering all the ribs... but no - my sides have ruptured, and it's all because of you. If my insurance company doesn't cover this, you'll be hearing from my hospital - I'll send you the bill by-post. :rofl2:

The rest of your post is more-or-less sensical and I won't add anything to it. I still think Xenoblade Yawnicles is absolutely terrible though, and I still think that it's getting high scores because it was a dying yelp of a console which didn't have a whole lot of triple-A titles, so every little bit counted.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The rest of your post is more-or-less sensical and I won't add anything to it. I still think Xenoblade Yawnicles is absolutely terrible though, and I still think that it's getting high scores because it was a dying yelp of a console which didn't have a whole lot of triple-A titles, so every little bit counted.

THIS THIS THIS. Xenoblade bored the fuck out of me and I'm a fucking weeaboo.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
THIS THIS THIS. Xenoblade bored the fuck out of me and I'm a fucking weeaboo.
If people want to play a good JRPG from that particular generation, they just have to pick up Radiant Historia. I played that game holding my breath wheras Xenoblade Yawnicles literally put my girlfriend to sleep... and she's into JRPG's big time. I would love to finish Yawnicles someday, but I would have to force myself, and where's the fun in that? :P

Reactions: gamefan5

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So two people don't like Xenoblade. Hardly makes the masses. I came into the game expecting to not care for it, but I absolutely loved it. All of that is anecdotal, though, and the aggregates show it getting consistently high ratings.

Yumi

With Love<3
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mexico
So two people don't like Xenoblade. Hardly makes the masses. I came into the game expecting to not care for it, but I absolutely loved it. All of that is anecdotal, though, and the aggregates show it getting consistently high ratings.

Make that 3 people.
It was interesting for awhile...then I just got bored of it quickly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5 +1