Hacking Discussion this is why nintendo will not issue massive bans

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From a purely legal standpoint, whilst the end-user has the right to repair and tinker with the hardware, it's also considered a breach of their Terms of Service, which gives them the legal entitlement to immediately restrict your access to any and all of their online services, as well as declare the hardware's warranty as voided in cases where the damage was provably caused by the user, as exemplified by the FTC's warnings to Nintendo and Sony.
Honestly, be right glad that an online ban is the worst they're legally allowed to do.

PuNKeMoN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From a purely legal standpoint, whilst the end-user has the right to repair and tinker with the hardware, it's also considered a breach of their Terms of Service, which gives them the legal entitlement to immediately restrict your access to any and all of their online services, as well as declare the hardware's warranty as voided in cases where the damage was provably caused by the user, as exemplified by the FTC's warnings to Nintendo and Sony.
Honestly, be right glad that an online ban is the worst they're legally allowed to do.

FTC notice was a bout warranties which protect the consumer. Banning from additional services has nothing to do with the warranty.

It is true that the end user repairing the console is no longer a breach of ToS. However, any damages caused by unofficial modifications or unauthorized repair persons still void a warranty.

It is illegal for Nintendo to void warranties when a 3rd party accessory is used. This creates a grey area for SX since it is an accessory but it also installs unauthorized modifications.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's actually complete crap, Nintendo is not obligated to refund your payment for online services just because you got banned. Microsoft also has a paid online service and they have also done mass bans on their systems for users who hacked their systems, they also didn't issue a refund for users who they banned. You are deluding yourself if you think paid online services are going to prevent mass bans and even more deluding if you think Nintendo will issue refunds for banned users.

Last edited by The Catboy,

coppertj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its called data mining they did it with 3ds(pokemon) they're going to do it with switch, the goal is to figure out how to outsmart them and stay quiet on the radar.

Reactions: Don Jon
D

Deleted-351540

. You are diluting yourself
Lilith, it's spelled "deluding" lol.

To dilute something means you add something to a liquid, such as water or a solvent, to make it thinner or weaker. For example, you add Coca-Cola to whiskey to dilute it to be more palatable.

I don't know why I had to explain that. It just felt necessary. No disrespect intended.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Lilith, it's spelled "deluding" lol.

To dilute something means you add something to a liquid, such as water or a solvent, to make it thinner or weaker. For example, you add Coca-Cola to whiskey to dilute it to be more palatable.

I don't know why I had to explain that. It just felt necessary. No disrespect intended.
Autocorrect is a monster

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
the only reason Nintendo wouldn't want to go all ban happy except for online cheaters is the bad PR, currently the switch is doing well, I think stories of sloughs of consoles being banned actually turns a lot of normies paranoid about being caught up in the ban spree especially when it comes to pre-owned consoles etc, the amount of people who used to come in the shop and were so paranoid about bans on the xbox 360 and ended up buying PS3's back when all the 360 ban waves were happening

banning cheaters is generally good press, I'm just hoping they have really good anti cheating tools so they can issue direct instant bans to cheaters and not have to worry about people using mods and stuff as long as it doesn't effect others

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Don Jon

Revard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
no you cant cause you need to be on nintendo's servers to deauth the console and unlink your account but you cant because your account is banned so your stuck with it, easy thing you can do buy a 2nd switch tablet (I saw one for $180 on ebay (tablet only)

Couldn't you simply factory reset your switch? That should clear the account data?
Or there will be a homebrew function in the future to remove your account if it really leads to a problem that could stuck your switch :D

Batpeter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're not going online while on CFW, how will Nintendo know which account to ban? Are they going to ban all accounts that have registered on a device? What about Nintendo Online family memberships? I think they need proof that a specific account has been doing illegal activity, they aren't going to ban multiple accounts. If that's the case you can just keep creating new accounts.

Last edited by Batpeter,

Skeagle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh I think since most people are paying for online now, they would be smart and think twice about going online or cheating before ultimately wasting their money by getting banned.

Last edited by Skeagle,

reinaldox_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is making profit out of the online service fee.
They are smart enough to not have to deal with the refund process of users who get banned.
they may jack up the price for online plans at a certain point.
even though the modding community is just a small percent of the whole switch consumers, per console multiplied by 20$ a year adds up.

just my 2 cents.

read the terms and condiitions. it can be modified to not refund in case of ban for hacking. lol

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't you simply factory reset your switch? That should clear the account data?
Or there will be a homebrew function in the future to remove your account if it really leads to a problem that could stuck your switch :D
Factory resetting won't remove the linked account (if it was that easy, I'm sure Scires and Shiny would have done that by now). Theoretically, someone could whip up a homebrew function to remove it on the other hand.

Revard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Factory resetting won't remove the linked account (if it was that easy, I'm sure Scires and Shiny would have done that by now). Theoretically, someone could whip up a homebrew function to remove it on the other hand.
But that would be a silly concept from nintendo if a factory reset doesn't reset your personal data...
I mean, if I ever want to sell my switch I would need to unlink my account (needs wifi?), then do a factory reset to clear game and save data?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But that would be a silly concept from nintendo if a factory reset doesn't reset your personal data...
I mean, if I ever want to sell my switch I would need to unlink my account (needs wifi?), then do a factory reset to clear game and save data?
Not everything Nintendo does is necessarily geared towards the average consumer. For example, the amount of extra unnecessary system updates are only geared towards those who hack their consoles. Also, while Nintendo already makes the profit after you bought the Switch, I don't think they would want you to sell it off especially since most of their money is made from the games that they sell you.

Revard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
banned user forking over 300 bucks for a new switch is better profit than a measly 20 bucks/year
Maybe that's the plan :D

If you really get your console stuck with a ban, then that's a big reason to use emunand (of course with an other account).
Maybe a nand backup without an account to restore it if the ban hammer hits would be useful.

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You can't have a refund of digital media such as subscriptions, you "can" cancel it (some types of subscriptions) but those like Xbox Live Gold and PS Plus, and in a future, Switch Online, cannot be refunded or even canceled.
:unsure:

Cartman401

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo is making profit out of the online service fee.
They are smart enough to not have to deal with the refund process of users who get banned.
they may jack up the price for online plans at a certain point.
even though the modding community is just a small percent of the whole switch consumers, per console multiplied by 20$ a year adds up.

just my 2 cents.

Refund process?

If they ban you for breaching Ts&Cs that you’ve accepted, there is no refund process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    +1
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same. +1