THQ Nordic and Nickelodeon to team up in order to "bring back" classic games

THQ-Nordic-556x340-555x339.jpg

Those who grew up with the kid's cartoon channel Nickelodeon in the 1990s and early 2000s might be excited to know that publisher THQ Nordic has teamed up with Nick in order to revive some older games that the original THQ company had published with them back in the day. Nostalgic video game adaptations of series like SpongeBob Squarepants, Rugrats, Fairly Odd Parents, Danny Phantom, and more were all listed as franchises that THQ Nordic has an interest in bringing back to consumers. Details about which games exactly, what platform, and the availability of this revival will be announced in the "coming months", according to the company.

The full list of planned game titles are:
  • Back At The Barnyard
  • Catscratch
  • Danny Phantom
  • El Tigre
  • Invader Zim
  • Jimmy Neutron
  • My Life As A Teenage Robot
  • Rocket Power
  • Rocko's Modern Life
  • Rugrats
  • SpongeBob SquarePants
  • Tak And The Power Of JUJU
  • The Fairly OddParents (US only)
  • The Ren & Stimpy Show
  • The Wild Thornberrys

This one hits close to home! We are very proud of signing this agreement, which was originally executed by the “former” THQ Inc,” comments Adrienne Lauer, VP Digital Sales & Business Development Americas at THQ Nordic. “We believe the combination of strong licenses and solid, crisp gameplay was one of THQ Inc’s trademark strategies, and we intend to continue this tradition. I am confident we chose one of the strongest partners for doing just that. It is a perfect fit for our “asset care” strategy: bringing back fan-favorites, continuing to support legacy games and make them available on current and even next-gen platforms.

:arrow: Source

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Hopefully we'll get another Nicktoons Unite!
I loved that game to death, and also every Nickelodeon crossover game for the GBA.

Hyborix3

Gabi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I love those Avatar games on the GBA. I'd really hope the cast of the characters are Aang and Co and not Korra's team, but maybe that's just me

Reactions: DarthDub

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I will admit that some of these games were crap, a select few of the nick licensed games from this time period were far better than they had any right to be. Battle for bikini bottom actually helped introduce me to gaming back in the day. It took my love of SpongeBob as a child and turned into a game that was halfway decent and pretty fun to play. So the chance that I could get a battle of bikini bottom remaster has me really excited. It would be even more amazing if it came to the switch, but I'm just happy we might be getting a remaster of the game in the first place.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tie in games made for Disney properties in the 8 and 16 bit era (megadrive/genesis Aladdin is best Aladdin). Absolutely see why they are bringing them back in various forms -- loads of top notch stuff from there.

Almost anything newer, in fact maybe anything newer -- some of the PS1 stuff was playable enough I guess (see something like PS1 Toy Story) but never really better than the other offerings and certainly not the reference point for those styles of games. Why? Even the GBA and DS efforts were weak, certainly all those I ever saw from Nickelodeon (and I was manning the ROM release watcher for a while there). A few of the Disney ones were again kind of playable, especially from the GBA offerings after the DS had launched, but where something like Chip and Dale on the NES is unquestioned greatness to most they were all again just kind of playable.

That said apparently there is a market for second hand N64 games so maybe I should not underestimate nostalgia for an age I never knew existed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone