Tutorial TN and IPS Displays - Which does my 3DS have?

Which model do you have?

• 2DS + TN

Votes: 33 3.4%
  • 2DS + IPS

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • O3DS + TN

Votes: 92 9.6%
  • O3DS + IPS

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • O3DSXL + TN

Votes: 67 7.0%
  • O3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 17 1.8%
  • N3DS + TN

Votes: 106 11.1%
  • N3DS + IPS

Votes: 22 2.3%
  • N3DSXL + TN

Votes: 144 15.0%
  • N3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 270 28.2%
  • 2DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS XL + Dual IPS

• N3DS + Dual IPS

Votes: 31 3.2%
  • N3DSXL + Dual IPS

Votes: 151 15.8%
  • N2DSXL + TN

Votes: 40 4.2%
  • N2DSXL + IPS

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

anonynom

Punchyleaf
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My N3DSXL had an IPS top screen and TN bottom. When I sent it in to get fixed, it was TN top and bottom screen

My Pokemon N3DS is both top and bottom IPS screen, while my HHD 3DS is both top and bottom TN screen.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    947.2 KB · Views: 4,599
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 1,871
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    947.2 KB · Views: 1,309

DevilzCY

Trophies
XP
Country
ips top screen definitely
Thank you so much anonynom, how about bottom screen? When you look at the 1st picture, picture number 1, with that angle, taking the bottom two button "Manual" and "Open" as a starting point to compare. Would you say that it's an ips as well?

anonynom

Punchyleaf
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much anonynom, how about bottom screen? When you look at the 1st picture, picture number 1, with that angle, taking the bottom two button "Manual" and "Open" as a starting point to compare. Would you say that it's an ips as well?
See how the last picture at the really extreme angle the bottom screen washes out and looks white while the top looks clear? That means TN. I say yours is toP IPS and lower TN, mostly because I took a photo at the same angle of my dual IPS Pokemon N3DS and you can see both colors clearly and no "white washing"

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    755.4 KB · Views: 841
Reactions: DevilzCY

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

when you have to ask to tell the difference then it does not bother you at all.

to be honest (and I have the direct comparison) the difference is very humble. unlike on a big TV screen you do not look on the 3DS from a wide angle. either you look directly into it (and then TN or IPS does not really matter) or the screen is closed. it is too small to invite all your friends and play together, right? it is not a home console, so the screen being TN or IPS does not really make a difference when gaming.

Reactions: DevilzCY

DevilzCY

Trophies
XP
Country
when you have to ask to tell the difference then it does not bother you at all.

to be honest (and I have the direct comparison) the difference is very humble. unlike on a big TV screen you do not look on the 3DS from a wide angle. either you look directly into it (and then TN or IPS does not really matter) or the screen is closed. it is too small to invite all your friends and play together, right? it is not a home console, so the screen being TN or IPS does not really make a difference when gaming.

Thank you so much for sharing your opinion. I know some doesn't care much about the screen type, but I actually care at some point and wanna know the answer. At least to make sure that the seller is not lying to me.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

See how the last picture at the really extreme angle the bottom screen washes out and looks white while the top looks clear? That means TN. I say yours is toP IPS and lower TN, mostly because I took a photo at the same angle of my dual IPS Pokemon N3DS and you can see both colors clearly and no "white washing"
Thank you for your picture. It helps a lot.

Reactions: anonynom
D

Deleted User

I remember when I got the n3ds xl. i immediately noticed the difference between the o3ds xl screen and the n3ds xl screen (i have two 3dses). and I didn't like it. Maybe because I was used to the old screen. but i think the main reason i didn't like it is becuse the pixels was more visible. does this mean that my n3ds xl has ips screen??
if it wasn't i couldn't see the difference right?
i also remember the shock i was gettin when i replaced my psp 1000 with psp 3000 (brand new). the scan lines on the psp 3000 was killing me. it was so bad that i returned it to the store right away. the new 3ds screen is much much better than that garbage psp. but the psp always going to be my number one handheld console because it was my very first and most memorable console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu