Tutorial TN and IPS Displays - Which does my 3DS have?

Which model do you have?

• 2DS + TN

Votes: 33 3.4%
  • 2DS + IPS

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • O3DS + TN

Votes: 92 9.6%
  • O3DS + IPS

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • O3DSXL + TN

Votes: 67 7.0%
  • O3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 17 1.8%
  • N3DS + TN

Votes: 106 11.1%
  • N3DS + IPS

Votes: 22 2.3%
  • N3DSXL + TN

Votes: 144 15.0%
  • N3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 270 28.2%
  • 2DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS XL + Dual IPS

• N3DS + Dual IPS

Votes: 31 3.2%
  • N3DSXL + Dual IPS

Votes: 151 15.8%
  • N2DSXL + TN

Votes: 40 4.2%
  • N2DSXL + IPS

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

H0thTr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last weekend I ended an 18 year streak from my first and last Gameboy usage way back in 1998 to play my only Pokémon game ever, Blue.

I've been more a console and heavy PC gamer for 2 decades but lately I've been sick of sitting on my PC after doing IT work all day. Then the hype surrounded Pokémon Sun and Moon got me intrigued and before I knew it, I ended up with this last weekend.

Kpk62Cw.jpg

I've been amazed at how much I really enjoy this low resolution handheld system and playing Pokémon sitting in my chair all comfy with my headphones and my cat, it's more relaxing and enjoyable then I thought!

Then I found out about the TN vs IPS panel and my OCD has been going crazy trying to get a dual IPS screen. I've only found older used 3ds xl with them at Gamestop

Then I tried Fire Emblem demo and I was shocked at how much I liked! Then I saw the sexy white FE editon that went on sale earlier this year and I just had to have one!

Well, I got it yesterday and I got a lower IPS panel only and wiggly and loud hinges on FE vs my Pokémon.

GOD THIS SUCKS SO DAMN MUCH!!!
I HATE YOUR PENNY PINCHING Nintendo!

http://imgur.com/a/y846w

Real_Redwolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Does anybody know what screen type you usually get with the Pokemon 20th Anniversary New 3DS? I've looked it up but have gotten a few mixed answers.

H0thTr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woooo!! I'm so so freaking happy!! I got my second Fire Emblem 3ds awhile ago from Amazon 1 day shipping for free! Opened it up, crossed my fingers and toes, thought good thoughts and powered it on....

Wooooot!! I got dual IPS screens on this beautiful thing at long freaking last! After trying around 12 3ds at Gamestop and 6 local and online exchanges, I finally got a perfect one! Sadly, it does have the clicky hinges and wobble, but I guess that's the trade off for a much much more important IPS screens!

I can't believe the color difference! They are so rich and deep compared to the TN panels! I can definitely tell the screen is much darker but now blacks look great!

Now I'm playing my games all over and I'm really enjoying the Fire Zambezi Emblem Awakening demo, I've played it almost 6 times so far and I'm starting to see why people like it so much and it looks sooooo beautiful on these IPS screens and the 3D effect is just freaking beautiful with this game, especially the anime parts!

So glad and grateful this time, money and patience finally paid off cause I was at my last point of trying anymore if this second FE wasn't good

Left: Pokémon Lunara 3ds with dual TN panels

Middle: 1st FE with upper TN, lower IPS panel

Right: 2nd FE with dual IPS panels

54uwTLE.jpg

fxOpgwC.jpg

udEwPmY.jpg

R8QMHXh.jpg

tbF4KND.jpg

IdOYVvn.jpg

wYZkeAa.jpg

FZOFYBJ.jpg

4CfRIcg.jpg

Reactions: NekoMichi

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Woooo!! I'm so so freaking happy!! I got my second Fire Emblem 3ds awhile ago from Amazon 1 day shipping for free! Opened it up, crossed my fingers and toes, thought good thoughts and powered it on....

Wooooot!! I got dual IPS screens on this beautiful thing at long freaking last! After trying around 12 3ds at Gamestop and 6 local and online exchanges, I finally got a perfect one! Sadly, it does have the clicky hinges and wobble, but I guess that's the trade off for a much much more important IPS screens!

I can't believe the color difference! They are so rich and deep compared to the TN panels! I can definitely tell the screen is much darker but now blacks look great!

Now I'm playing my games all over and I'm really enjoying the Fire Zambezi Emblem Awakening demo, I've played it almost 6 times so far and I'm starting to see why people like it so much and it looks sooooo beautiful on these IPS screens and the 3D effect is just freaking beautiful with this game, especially the anime parts!

So glad and grateful this time, money and patience finally paid off cause I was at my last point of trying anymore if this second FE wasn't good

4CfRIcg.jpg
Interesting fluffy 3DS holder in the background of the last photo :)

Reactions: OrGoN3

joshuaacuna77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello guys can you please help identify whether this has DUAL IPS or TN thank you.
received_120300000942442814.jpeg
received_120300000944286535.jpeg
received_120300000943969048.jpeg

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

54uwTLE.jpg

fxOpgwC.jpg

udEwPmY.jpg

R8QMHXh.jpg

tbF4KND.jpg

IdOYVvn.jpg

wYZkeAa.jpg

FZOFYBJ.jpg

4CfRIcg.jpg
Hello sir can you help me identify whether I have dual IPS or TN screen?
received_120300000944190713.jpeg
received_120300000931396214.jpeg
received_120300000941531897.jpeg

DevilzCY

Trophies
XP
Country

joshuaacuna77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hyrule has a very high chance of getting dual ips. Congrat
DevilzCY
Hello sir you said you have Mario N3DS, FE N3DSXL and Hyrule N3ds XL all with DUAL IPS
I just want to ask if you compare these 3 units side by side. By any chance, is there a unit with a better quality Dual IPS screen? or maybe the bottom IPS screen seems to be better quality than the TOP IPS screen?

Last edited by joshuaacuna77,

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My release-day N3DSXL (Majora's Mask edition) has dual TN, though I have honestly never noticed any shifting or washed-out colours. But maybe now I'll be hyper-aware of them.

Last edited by Xiphiidae,
Reactions: DevilzCY

DevilzCY

Trophies
XP
Country
My release-day N3DSXL (Majora's Mask edition) has dual TN, though I have honestly never noticed any shifting or washed-out colours. But maybe now I'll be hyper-aware of them.
yea I got a majora mask edition with top ips bot tn and trade it for a fate dual ips. I don't think it make a big dif either. Just the hype thats all

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yea I got a majora mask edition with top ips bot tn and trade it for a fate dual ips. I don't think it make a big dif either. Just the hype thats all
I'm sure I'd be able to tell the difference side-by-side, but at the end of the day longer battery life is possibly more useful for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, my sister likes to watch me play over my shoulder (or vice versa). In that case, a dual IPS (which I have) is better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Yawn