Question To beat a dead horse or to bring back the dead?

Aether Lion

GBATemp's Pet Lion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, now that I have your attention with the coolest thread name ever, I have a question that's bothered me forever.
So, people on here will complain that others are making a thread that's already been done before...a lot.
However, there are also people that complain about necro-posting.
So, I'm going to make a totally fake situation with totally fake information, just to give an example. The overall premise is an actual issue I've run into multiple times within the past week alone.​

FAKE SITUATION: So, I am wondering what 3DS emulation is currently like today. I use a New 3DS. There are updates often being made to 3DS emulation, y'know? So, I go to type in "N3DS Emulation" (and also attempt some variants, but not with much success) and I check "Thread titles only" so I don't get 10292043084 results. So, I've found 18 threads of the same stuff, right? Now, the problem is that the last thread was commented on 8 and a half months ago. A lot can happen in 8 and a half months, right?
So, should I comment on that (necro-post) and start a new conversation on that thread to get the latest info? Or should I start a new thread pretty much asking the same question (And deal with the 200 Keyboard Warriors that remind me that there are 18 threads already on it, even though they don't know they are all outdated asf)?​

It's a debate that bothers me.
Which is considered worse?
Necro-posting VS Creating a thread that's already been done a lot but is outdated?
Which is the better course of action? Is there some 3rd "God-Option" that I can't think of?​

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So? Im 15 too and I follow the rules (most of the time that is :rofl2:)

I thought he was calling me out becuase I was younger than most of the portion of community members here lol.

No hard feelings. Just been getting my head wrapped in flame wars lately with people "mentioning" me in posts "unintentionally" and "indirectly". You can probably see how wrapped up my head is right now.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This guy again, stop posting stupid things please
I think everyone should be able to post anything, but its pretty annoying to me too. Every Thread with a wierd Title now comes from him. It feels like GBATemp has become a Victim of Clickbait threads. He should use Titles that are a little bit more precise like "What is your Opinion on bumping old Threads?" But many people don't click on it if the Title isn't interesting I suppose

My only problem is with these wierd Threads is that you loose sight of interesting and important Threads.

I thought he was calling me out becuase I was younger than most of the portion of community members here lol.

No hard feelings. Just been getting my head wrapped in flame wars lately with people "mentioning" me in posts "unintentionally" and "indirectly". You can probably see how wrapped up my head is right now.
Quite alot of people here are around 15-20 years old.

Last edited by Justinde75,
Reactions: GalladeGuy

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is Ameruica. You should have the right to post what you want as long as it's not agasint the forum rules.

Plus it's in the off topic section. I could literally talk about trolls if I wanted to in that section. Or coffee.
I'm not from America so I dont really care. It would be ok if it happened only like a couple times, but he got like 300 messages in more then a week. That's extreme spamming.

Aether Lion

GBATemp's Pet Lion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not from America so I dont really care. It would be ok if it happened only like a couple times, but he got like 300 messages in more then a week. That's extreme spamming.

Justinde75, let me stop you right there.
You're 15, which is fine, because this forum is open to users of all ages.
However, you obviously don't know the word spam. I looked it up to make sure:

spam
VERB
"to send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet."
So, me posting many threads that are all varied may be seen as an abuse of free speech. It is by no means under the definition of "spam". However, a repeated similar message that YOU have been posting to a large number of recipients on the internet is "this guy is spamming", "that's extreme spamming", etc. I'm not here to cause bad blood between you, nor anyone else here. It seems as if I have. Now, I messaged GalladeGuy who was the first to comment on this thread, and I talked things out with him, and we are okay now. However, for a 15 year old to follow me around and SPAM that I am (not actually) spamming, is a little crazy. Your rudeness towards me came out of nowhere. Actually, if I recall, the first thing I did towards you was be kind and compliment you on our shared liking for Kingdom Hearts. Also, within the LAST 24 HOURS, you've made 30 (exactly 30) posts/comments/messages (within the last 30 hours, that number is bumped up to 43) , none of which were in the EoF, I checked. Within the past week your post count has gone up by at least a hundred and fifty. I guess you're an awful spammer? No. You are a human being. So I'm just going to remind you that you should do your research on whoever you go to war against.

I don't want there to be bad blood, and I don't want there to be a war between us, quite the opposite actually. I just wanted to point out that while I may be annoying at times, I'm not the only one.
I've made more threads than you, yes, but I don't often reach 30 comments/posts/threads/etc (excluding EoF content) in 24 hours, unlike you have. I'm using you as an example of the hypocrisy of the people on here.
So let's just relax and enjoy conversation rather than hating on one another for saying anything. :wub:

A moderator answered this thread and I appreciate the answer.
Can we have this thread locked, please?​

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@petethepug I was primarily pointing at new members with that statement. Yeah, "May 1st" is pretty new too but you likely already know the ebb and flow of the forum by now, which falls under my "if you didn't know, you'll learn".

TBH I don't really care how old you (or anyone) are or aren't. If you don't make it a problem, then it usually isn't a problem.

D

Deleted User

this forum is open to users of all ages.
The minimum age to sign up on the 'Temp, IIRC, is 13.
(yes, I know you can fake your age, but if you're 12 and then disclose you are 12 later on in the week, there's a high chance you could be banned until you turn 13.)

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Justinde75, let me stop you right there.
You're 15, which is fine, because this forum is open to users of all ages.
However, you obviously don't know the word spam. I looked it up to make sure:

spam
VERB
"to send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet."
So, me posting many threads that are all varied may be seen as an abuse of free speech. It is by no means under the definition of "spam". However, a repeated similar message that YOU have been posting to a large number of recipients on the internet is "this guy is spamming", "that's extreme spamming", etc. I'm not here to cause bad blood between you, nor anyone else here. It seems as if I have. Now, I messaged GalladeGuy who was the first to comment on this thread, and I talked things out with him, and we are okay now. However, for a 15 year old to follow me around and SPAM that I am (not actually) spamming, is a little crazy. Your rudeness towards me came out of nowhere. Actually, if I recall, the first thing I did towards you was be kind and compliment you on our shared liking for Kingdom Hearts. Also, within the LAST 24 HOURS, you've made 30 (exactly 30) posts/comments/messages (within the last 30 hours, that number is bumped up to 43) , none of which were in the EoF, I checked. Within the past week your post count has gone up by at least a hundred and fifty. I guess you're an awful spammer? No. You are a human being. So I'm just going to remind you that you should do your research on whoever you go to war against.

I don't want there to be bad blood, and I don't want there to be a war between us, quite the opposite actually. I just wanted to point out that while I may be annoying at times, I'm not the only one.
I've made more threads than you, yes, but I don't often reach 30 comments/posts/threads/etc (excluding EoF content) in 24 hours, unlike you have. I'm using you as an example of the hypocrisy of the people on here.
So let's just relax and enjoy conversation rather than hating on one another for saying anything. :wub:

A moderator answered this thread and I appreciate the answer.
Can we have this thread locked, please?​
Ok let me correct myself : You just post unneeded trash :/ I dont "hate" I just say what I think. (And its my Opinion) And I don't "hate" out of the blue

Last edited by Justinde75,

Aether Lion

GBATemp's Pet Lion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok let me correct myself : You just post unneeded trash :/ I dont "hate" I just say what I think. (And its my Opinion) And I don't "hate" out of the blue
I looked through many of your comments earlier. Let me tell you, they are your opinions but some of them seem like you're replying just for the sake of replying and not because you have any content to share towards the topic, like you are now.
Again, I don't want a war. I'm trying to make that overly clear. To be honest, we're both posting our own opinions, and it shouldn't bother one another. I'm using you as an example for all of the people who are posting hypocritical statements towards ANY other user.

The moral of the story: Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to talk about this anymore. This won't bring us anywhere.

Did I miss something in the comments? Why are you guys fighting :wacko:

@Aether Lion He was just suggesting you should change the title from --> let's say for example "OMG HATERS VIEW POINT", to "WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON HATERS [discussion thread]

And maybe try not going to in detail? Just say "Hey what's your view point on some haters on the forums." Instead of a huge paragraph...

Alright let's go on topic now.

Last edited by petethepug,

Aether Lion

GBATemp's Pet Lion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did I miss something in the comments?

He was just suggesting you should change the title from --> let's say for example "OMG HATERS VIEW POINT", to "WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON HATERS [discussion thread]

And maybe try not going to in detail? Just say "Hey what's your view point on some haters on the forums." Instead of a huge paragraph...

Alright let's go on topic now.
Maybe I'm reading this too fast or something but I'm not sure what you're getting at, haha, no offense. :P

Regardless, Justin and I are messaging each other and I hope to come to some agreeable resolution. :)

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I'm reading this too fast or something but I'm not sure what you're getting at, haha, no offense. :I

Regardless, Justin and I are messaging each other and I hope to come to some agreeable resolution. :)

No it's cool. I was just wondering.

Just don't go taking the fight in the back of the club if you get what I mean :wink:.

Reactions: Aether Lion

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways.