Top 10 worst moments in games

Balee56

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
1.You haven't saved once for like 4-5 hours and you JUST reach a difficulty spike of the game and you die, obviously.
2.The game crashes when you reach the save point AFTER not saving in your 5-6 hours of gaming session.
3.Lag in online play.
4.All of my pokémanz are half dead,and GARY Motherf OAK appears.
5.You have to do something to make the game go on,that the game forbid you before this ONLY one occasion.
6.Crappy endings.
7.You accidentally overwrite your only save file when you stepped over the NO MORE RETURN point,which is not all the time obvious.
8.SNK bosses,mainly Magaki.
9.Yun in Street Fighter...I hope Yun falls off his skateboard and cracks his skull on a pavement.
10.Playing an overhyped game which is a total letdown for you.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hole I burnt in my hand trying to do tug-o-war on Mario Party 1 on the hardest difficulty against computers...

The other hole I burnt in my hand trying to do the clockwork race in Banjo Tooie

Reactions: 1 person

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The hole I burnt in my hand trying to do tug-o-war on Mario Party 1 on the hardest difficulty against computers...

I lol'd hard thinking back to the exact same situation. Me and a friend both had deep burns/cuts/whatever in the palm of our hands from trying to do tug-o-war.
Then I get my sister to try, more out of cruelty than anything, and she freakin' aces it with no effort, first try. I died a little inside that day.

Reactions: 2 people

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
When you go too fast on the title menu of a game and it causes the game to glitch out.

I was playing Metroid: Zero Mission a few hours ago and I pressed A so fast so many times that the images/text for the file select menu never showed up. When the game loaded up, I was at my last save point but there was no floor and the game was otherwise acting in a similar fashion to the "ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER" password for the original game.

I thought I had screwed up my save file or somehow corrupted the ROM. Thankfully, it was okay.

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Not knowing which of the many paths in a dungeon is the "right" path so I can avoid it (because I always have to go EVERYWHERE ELSE to get ALL the treasure before continuing the story, oldschool games taught me that).

Undistinguishable points of no return. These are a dick-move anyway, so if you put them in your game at least make them obvious.

Accidently answering something wrong in an answer-box because you were skipping through dialogue too fast.

Getting stuck somewhere in FF8 not knowing where the fuck to go next, and half a year later when I feel like trying again the savegame is gone.

Finding the game laughably easy on one difficulty and balls-to-the-walls hard on the one right above that and having to argue with yourself which one to take (because both are quite frustrating).

Getting owned in a game once, then leveling up for a short time and suddenly nothing is able to provide a challenge anymore.

Crisis Core, Dissidia and one Kingdom Hearts game being PSP exclusive.
Couldn't have been that difficult to just make a PS2 version. Now I borrowed a PSP and the games and SquareEnix made no money from me, their loss.

Comparing the games on my "to do list" (most of them 60-120 hour monsters) with how little free time I have nowadays.

Buying a game for 40-50€ and finding out that the only thing it has going for it is fancy graphics and that the gameplay isn't fun at all, it has no depth and story is non-existant. A single indie game provides ten times more enjoyment for a fraction of the cost.

Finding out that there is DRM on a singleplayer game that makes it require an internet connection to start (or sometimes even constantly while playing).
I just can't understand why companies think it is a good idea to spend millions on intrusive DRM that will not prevent, but encourage piracy and will piss off their customers and give them tons of bad publicity.
If those millions were spent actually making the game better, they'd sell a ton more copies (because people would actually want to reward/support them), but they're apparently not smart enough to think of that.

Not necessarily in order, but if I had to appoint a nr.1 worst it'd be intrusive DRM.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States

The other hole I burnt in my hand trying to do the clockwork race in Banjo Tooie
Wow, you brought back a lot of memories! Me, my friend, my brother, and my uncle ALL got damaged palms from that mini-game.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Finding out that there is DRM on a singleplayer game that makes it require an internet connection to start (or sometimes even constantly while playing).
I just can't understand why companies think it is a good idea to spend millions on intrusive DRM that will not prevent, but encourage piracy and will piss off their customers and give them tons of bad publicity.
If those millions were spent actually making the game better, they'd sell a ton more copies (because people would actually want to reward/support them), but they're apparently not smart enough to think of that.
Boy...some flawed logic you've got there.
* it doesn't cost a lot of money (let alone "millions") to implement an online check. Also, when a company has a DRM, they'll more or less copy-paste it to all their games, so the cost can be close to zero.
* companies do what they can to sell the most games. And since "better" is an arbitrary term, it's easier to release it and fix things the major complaints with patches rather than guess what the general audience would think is "better".
* show me any source where a game sold MORE copies by not implementing DRM. Yes, people complain about it. But the majority buys the game nonetheless.
* as for your last comment: yeah...sure. Large gaming companies are dumb as shit. Fuck the fact that they manage to make large profits in economical difficult times. Fuck the fact that they make more money than indy developers (who often forego DRM). They have their priorities on money, and since that conflicts with why their customers buy games, the customers tend to get the short stick in this situation. Boy, is that stupid. I can already see major boycotts on Bethesda's next games. It won't be long 'till EA directors will be fired for not listening to their customers who want easy-to-pirate games. Valve's steam is doomed to FAIL and Blizzard employees are probably crossing their fingers someone will actually BUY diablo 3 rather than cracking it because they don't want to create an account. :rolleyes:

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
-puzzle games where you think of a perfectly working solution but the game won't let you execute it because the developers haven't thought of it (it usually involves me having to cut a rope or having to open something, but it has to be with that AND ONLY THAT knife or crowbar)
Oh god yes, these types of things drive me crazy. "Oh come on! I could do that in real life and we'd both be moving on!"

I thought of another one: packrat syndrome in rpgs. "Damn this big boss battle is hard. I sure could use those items I've been hoarding, but I better not, just in case..." This is a case where I'm mad at my own damn self because I can't help it.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The worst moment for me was either ending in GTA IV. :(

Well, for me...

It was getting Roman killed. While he spent the beginning of the game as the annoying comic relief, he started to grow on me. As he was more and more developed by the game's end, I was really attached to him.

So, when I finally found that "special someone", I sided with Roman. With the penultimate mission, I also decided to take his advice. Seeing him die for that was like a huge punch in the gut; I don't think any other game has managed to get that kind of an emotional reaction from me.

Later on, though, I discovered that I could have had just Kate (who was kind of just dropped into the story as "Niko's for real love interest" at the 75% point) and I was furious. Are you telling me that I could have saved Roman in exchange for this boring non-character? Why, Rockstar, why?

So yeah, that definitely counts.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-puzzle games where you think of a perfectly working solution but the game won't let you execute it because the developers haven't thought of it (it usually involves me having to cut a rope or having to open something, but it has to be with that AND ONLY THAT knife or crowbar)
Oh god yes, these types of things drive me crazy. "Oh come on! I could do that in real life and we'd both be moving on!"

That's one of the biggest reasons I can't stand Ace Attorney. I'll have reasonable threads of logic to follow for the court scenes and they just get shot down with the only reason being "the developers didn't like it". That paired with the mediocre humor really killed the franchise for me. Also the rabid and obsessive fanbase and the infinitely unfunny "picture posts" where people do nothing but post Ace Attorney gifs to rebuke someone else's post. Seriously, just type out your fucking post instead of wasting time on finding gifs for something no one will laugh at and instead just be annoyed that they the page takes twice as long to scroll.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
10. When it's a Nintendo game and the credits can't be skipped.
How about when the credits are unusually long and it's only until the end of them that you notice that 75% of the credits were joke names and joke titles.

Or when it's Minecraft and you try to leave the End.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ugh, I hate credits. I mean they're necessary and understandable but I still just would rather skip them. Only ones I enjoy sitting through are BioWare ones. When Mass Effect ended and this song starts playing, you cry manly tears.

Oh and the MadWorld credits are actually worth watching multiple times because they're so fucking funny.

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
1.When You shout Fus DO Rah in Skyrim and accidentally hit someone.
2. The noises kikwis make in Zelda:Skyward Sword
3.Not Saving then dieing and having to do everything over again
4.Having to climb the steps to High Hrothgar
5.Having to hit women in gerudo valley
6.When a server goes offline in minecraft
7.*FUTURE*When pandaren are added to WoW
8.When your girlfriend plays alliancend you play horde
9. Battlefield 3's capaign, being a complete rip-off off CoD:Black Ops that sucked to begin with
10.Losing online in Mario Kart7

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9. Battlefield 3's capaign, being a complete rip-off off CoD:Black Ops that sucked to begin with

I think it's "Fus Ro Dah", not "Fus Do Dah".

And don't mess with BlOps campaign. It's certainly not masterful but its serviceable, action packed, and the story it tells isn't half bad either in a generic action flick sense. Certainly one of the better CoD campaigns.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ugh, I hate credits. I mean they're necessary and understandable but I still just would rather skip them. Only ones I enjoy sitting through are BioWare ones. When Mass Effect ended and this song starts playing, you cry manly tears.

Oh and the MadWorld credits are actually worth watching multiple times because they're so fucking funny.

I basically agree (Except for Mad World; I haven't played that one). The people behind the games deserve all the recognition they can get, sure. Still, if you're going to have credits, make them worth sitting through (Let me play through the credits, play the credits over the final scene, make the credits funny, etc.).

There is absolutely nothing worse than sitting through 10 minutes of nothing but scrolling white text on a black background.

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country

I think it's "Fus Ro Dah", not "Fus Do Dah".

And don't mess with BlOps campaign. It's certainly not masterful but its serviceable, action packed, and the story it tells isn't half bad either in a generic action flick sense. Certainly one of the better CoD campaigns.
Black Ops had nothing on MW2, but I respect your opinion, but Battlefield 3 is a complete rip almost word for word.
LoL sorry I'm going off like 3 hours of sleep cause I partied hard for new years. Happy 2012 for people in my timezone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, burp +1