Gaming Tricks to running Win 95/ Win 98 games on Windows 10?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Bizarre that it's not working. I've tried most everything in regards to the built-in compatibility options.

The weird thing is my machine runs Skateboard Tycoon, which came out around the same time and didn't require me to jump through any hoops but *sigh* I guess I'll keep working on it.

I just enabled Legacy Components and re-installed DirectX. Do you think I would need to install an older version?

I also downloaded the game from an alternate source. The files were identical and the problem is unchanged.

I appreciate the help. Thanks everyone :)
Try running the game in DXwnd with Windowed mode enable, see if the game shows up that way.

In case you've never used DXwnd:
  1. Download using the link above and extract wherever.
  2. Open dxwnd.exe
  3. Go to Edit->Add
  4. In the Name textbox, enter whatever you want.
  5. In path, hit the ... and navigate to the game's exe file.
  6. Under the Generic options, ensure "Run in Window" is checked.
  7. Hit Try, to see if it shows up that way.

Wii_Shaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try running the game in DXwnd with Windowed mode enable, see if the game shows up that way.

In case you've never used DXwnd:
  1. Download using the link above and extract wherever.
  2. Open dxwnd.exe
  3. Go to Edit->Add
  4. In the Name textbox, enter whatever you want.
  5. In path, hit the ... and navigate to the game's exe file.
  6. Under the Generic options, ensure "Run in Window" is checked.
  7. Hit Try, to see if it shows up that way.

The closest I've gotten to actually running this game is by following the suggestions and installing the wineD3D.dll files. the game actually loaded to a solid black window but crashed shortly after.
-I've ran in boxedWine. Nothing
-WineD3D. No dice.
-DXwnd. Zilch.
- I even found an .ISO of the game and reinstalled. Still no luck.

I think @Mythical may be onto something with the DPI issue. I have had problems running other programs on my machine due to this.

It's literally going to drive me crazy until I finally get it to work. Seriously considering just installing this on an older machine at this point though :/

Again, I appreciate all the help here. It's really opened me up to some pretty crafty alternatives to opening stubborn programs in Windows 10.

Reactions: Mythical

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try going to .exe properties -> compatibility -> change high dpi settings -> here tick off program dpi then set it to "I open this program", then below tick "override high DPI scaling behavior." Then for the scaling choose Application.
I'd try running your game again after this, and if it doesn't work try changing these settings around a bit.
The closest I've gotten to actually running this game is by following the suggestions and installing the wineD3D.dll files. the game actually loaded to a solid black window but crashed shortly after.
-I've ran in boxedWine. Nothing
-WineD3D. No dice.
-DXwnd. Zilch.
- I even found an .ISO of the game and reinstalled. Still no luck.

I think @Mythical may be onto something with the DPI issue. I have had problems running other programs on my machine due to this.

It's literally going to drive me crazy until I finally get it to work. Seriously considering just installing this on an older machine at this point though :/

Again, I appreciate all the help here. It's really opened me up to some pretty crafty alternatives to opening stubborn programs in Windows 10.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH