• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trump's latest speech about Antifa taking down/vandalizing statues

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 10,253
  • Replies 176
  • Likes 3

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lets burn all the history books too since someone might find it offensive

ZjfBqz2.png

Seriously though all these groups need to be classified as domestic terrorist organizations, which includes the KKK, Antifa, Black Lives Matter, and various other offshoots of these main groups.

Last edited by Joe88,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ZjfBqz2.png

Seriously though all these groups need to be classified as domestic terrorist organizations, which includes the KKK, Antifa, Black Lives Matter, and various other offshoots of these main groups.

I blame that George Soros bastard for BLM and AntiFA or whatever it is, may his shriveled up corpse of a body burn in hell. People like him are utterly evil and way too powerful for their own good. I'm sorry, but anyone who funds these groups are just...evil >.>

Last edited by the_randomizer,

ShonenJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I actually lived there for a while back in 2007, some of my best friends live there; it's mostly the WWII generation/old farts who are bitter :P
yep back in 2011 i went there on summer vacation. Met a old friend who lived in my country for a while. The elders always complain there. Even in cafe's talking about how coffees actually should be made :/

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep back in 2011 i went there on summer vacation. Met a old friend who lived in my country for a while. The elders always complain there. Even in cafe's talking about how coffees actually should be made :/

Never had much of a problem, short of two people, one in the Hiroshima Holocaust museum (don't go there), a photographer from New Zealand started bashing us, and another old fart bashing us, aside from that, never had a problem. Most of the people there are nice.

Reactions: ShonenJump

ShonenJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Never had much of a problem, short of two people, one in the Hiroshima Holocaust museum (don't go there), a photographer from New Zealand started bashing us, and another old fart bashing us, aside from that, never had a problem. Most of the people there are nice.
yeah it was mainly in the cafe where is was going since it was close from my apartment. But yeah decent people.

on topic: I remember a interview with trump where he said something like : I can shoot someone and people are still are gonna stand by my side or something like that. quite a weird comment

Last edited by ShonenJump,
D

Deleted User

OP
there's a space for historical figures, and that's in school books and museums, not in public parks.
refine your statement. That is like saying a statue of George Washington doesn't deserve to be anywhere in America except for museums and textbooks, unless that statement is for all historical figures, then carry on.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea. It's just like how in Germany where they have all those Hitler statues. Because, you know, statues are all about history and not all about praising a person and their actions. As even keeled as I can be, Robert E Lee, if he cared about his state, should have worked towards the ending of slavery so all the people in his state could experience have freedom. Fighting in the name of your state with the end result of victory being to enshrine slavery is horribly immoral. As the say goes, "I was just following orders" is no defense and certainly those at the highest ranks are least capable of such a claim.

PS - I tend to believe there's too much aggrandizing of the military in general in the US. And to arguments about "remembering history", perhaps they should put up a statue of a slave driver whipping to death a black slave with the caption "Southern Civility". There's certainly a lot of things we do not put into statue form. This self-selection inherently is not being done to accurately represent history. It's about trying to put a footprint into the future of a certain mindset of what the past was, no matter how far off from the truth it is.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
refine your statement. That is like saying a statue of George Washington doesn't deserve to be anywhere in America except for museums and textbooks, unless that statement is for all historical figures, then carry on.
what I'm trying to say is that you act like removing a statue from a public place is the same as erasing that figure from history, there's no need to make a big fuzz about removing a statue.

Last edited by lordkaos,
D

Deleted User

OP
horribly immoral
I'm sorry, but (even though I agree with you) you can't say this. This is your opinion, and people who lived in the times of slavery might have different opinions. They might actually believe in white supremacy, because it was taught to be right.

We are all born as blank slates. If we were given nothing when we were born, up until the day we were eighteen, and then released to the world, we would be confused. We wouldn't know right from wrong aside from that instinct we feel. That instinct was taught to be ignored back then.

Sorry, TL;DR: you can't say that because beliefs were different then.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

what I'm trying to say is that you act like removing a statue from a public place is the same as erasing that figure from history, there's no need to make a big fuzz about removing a statue.
Oh ok. I wasn't trying to be offensive if you took it that way, just trying to point out where a counter argument would stem from.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, TL;DR: you can't say that because beliefs were different then.

Sure I can. People are wrong about their morality from ignorance? Yea, well, it sucks for everyone else the were horrible to because of that. You see, that's the core point of it: it's not merely that it's my opinion but that in fact horrible things were done to other human beings and directly or indirectly Robert E Lee supported it. Does this mean I have an absolute knowledge of morality? No. Does that mean that there's one true morality? Probably not. Do I care that in 100 years, presuming anyone even knows who I am, they think I was an immoral monster? Nope, I'll be dead.

Hell, most the US claimed to be Christian, and it's not a new idea that one should love thy neighbor as thyself. No, there was a convenient economic and social reason to view one group as inferior and to twist whatever language out of one's holy text to make it fit. This is not a thing limited to religion of course, and I honestly don't think morality stems from religion per se. In the end, I don't think it's an opinion that the morality of others in the past are somehow sacrosanct or one cannot speak ill of the dead. The point, after all, is not to belittle Robert E Lee but to learn why such a moral code is unacceptable and not to repeat history.

Last edited by kuwanger,

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ZjfBqz2.png

you forgot this one:

also this one:

liberuls, amirite?

Last edited by lordkaos,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Anyone has a link to the original speech? I've seen the riots and criticism to Trump's late/lame reaction to that, but not the actual speech.

Also: while I understand this matters to US citizens... Shouldn't the Korean situation be considered more important?
Along those lines, though, I'm irritated that we have a President that's essentially trolling over half the population just to keep a firm grip on his target supporters
Don't forget the trolling of pretty much the entire rest of the world.

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone has a link to the original speech? I've seen the riots and criticism to Trump's late/lame reaction to that, but not the actual speech.

Also: while I understand this matters to US citizens... Shouldn't the Korean situation be considered more important?

Don't forget the trolling of pretty much the entire rest of the world.
the vague one from Saturday:

the script from the teleprompter, monday morning:

what he really meant to say, Tuesday afternoon:

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I wouldn't go to Japan.
Xenophobic arseholes.
It is because of their xenophobia that they're not a fucking shit hole like Germany or Sweden currently are.
I blame that George Soros bastard for BLM and AntiFA or whatever it is, may his shriveled up corpse of a body burn in hell. People like him are utterly evil and way too powerful for their own good. I'm sorry, but anyone who funds these groups are just...evil >.>
Don't forget the Arab Spring!

Reactions: Chary

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Confederate material belongs in the same place NAZI materials, in museums. They should be protected as reminders of this country's past mistakes and the war we had to fight to right the wrongs of our past. There really shouldn't be Confederate material in public areas, we need to move past that stain on our history.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Castlevania uhh... whatever rhymes with Castlevania...