TurboGrafx-16 mini gets release date and full games lineup

body_main.png
Announced back during E3, the TurboGrafx-16 (or PC Engine) is making a comeback in miniature form. During its E3 panel, Konami only made the announcement and named a few games that would come pre-loaded with the console. A month after these news, Konami has now unveiled the release date and the full lineup of the games that will come packed in the TurboGrafx-16 mini.

While the models will vary according to the region you are found in (CoreGrafx for European gamers, PC Engine in Japan and TurboGrafx for US buyers), the games will be the same in all three versions, with 24 games from the original American console version and 26 from the Japanese one. Here's the full games lineup:

TurboGrafx-16 games:
  • Alien Crush
  • Victory Run
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Neutopia
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • R-Type
  • Moto Roader
  • Power Golf
  • Ys book I&II
  • Ninja Spirit
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Space Harrier
  • Military Madness
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Psychosis
  • Bonk's Revenge
  • Parasol Stars
  • Cadash
  • New Adventure Island
  • Air Zonk
  • Neutopia II
  • Solider Blade
  • Lords of Thunder
  • Bomberman '93
PC Engine Games:
  • The Kung Fu
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Nectaris
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Neutopia
  • PC Genjin
  • Ys I・II
  • Super Darius
  • Super Star Solider
  • Daimakaimura
  • Aldynes
  • Neutopia II
  • Gradius
  • Salamander
  • Super Momotaro Dentetsu II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden *Japanese ver. of NINJA GAIDEN
  • Star Parodier
  • Snatcher
  • Gradius II - Gofer no Yabō -
  • Chō Aniki
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi no Rondo
  • Bomberman ’94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire

models.JPG

In addition the console will pack the following new features:
  • Quick Save function to save at any point during a game
  • Different display modes that let you choose how your games look, such as by replicating the scanlines on a CRT TV
  • Simultaneous five-player gaming with a multitap (sold separately)
While the other models have not been priced, the Japanese one will cost 10,500 yen (about $100) and will come bundled with one controller, a USB Cable, an HDMI cable and an instruction manual.

Available exclusively through Amazon, the TurboGrafx-16 mini will be available as from March 19, 2020, with pre-orders starting this July 15. Will you be getting one?

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: Official website

pooh9558

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an original TurboGrafx. I just bought the Everdrive card for it and it's amazing! Of course I'm an older gamer and picked up many rarer consoles at thrift stores during the 1990's, this one among them. I'd suggest finding a good emulator and give it a go, especially those who have based their opinions on "fail" or hearsay, and have never actually played one.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sony has already amply demonstrated that it's very easy to completely botch a unit like this – and likewise the old Sega Atgames consoles. No point in getting excited until it's actually out and people have a chance to see if it actually works.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, I’ll be grabbing the Jap version with the proper controller, not a fan of the Euro 2 button

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes, I’ll be grabbing the Jap version with the proper controller, not a fan of the eaur

I’m seriously considering doing this for both the SNES and N64
shame that n64 looks like ass on hd tvs, im still waiting on an n64 mini just so we get a decent hd picture.

Reactions: andyhappypants

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Whilst I can't comment on that game as I haven't played it I'll stand my point with the Mini as I'm quite finicky when it comes to emulation as its got to feel right and it comes closer than anything else ever has plus you can use a regular modern screen without needing converters, scalers, everdrives, recaps etc...

Amusing that you mention 8bitdo as their controllers are straight up 8bitdoodoo because they control like shit for me, those dpads are atrocious and the buttons tactile response is totally different not to mention the lag that some versions (I believe it was due to the Bluetooth?) have which is terrible and really detracts from the playing experience.

Just goes to show how differently people see things as I've been into emulation since way back when and think the introduction of one size fits all approach of Retro Arch was an immense step backwards compared to what came before when you had individual stand alone emulators that were optimized for the platform they were on. Nowadays you usually get a quick and dirty port to make it run on a toaster with a bit of tweaking later if you're lucky. Compare that to say the OG Xbox scene and its amazing range of emulators that played wonderfully and squeezed every drop of power the machine had and I'd be very surprised if you ever see a scene like that again. Can't comment on the PC version as I've never tried it but its various console implementations have all been lacking.

Like I said, amusing differences in perspective. Not interested in arguing about this as its obvious our interpretations diverge so much so please don't take this as confrontational statement and start unleashing your fury like some other clown on this forum did as he started following me around after getting all up in his feels about one of my posts.

Finishing off with the Switch, I dont have one yet but will probably pick one up eventually but the pinnacle of portable emulation for me had to be the n3DS as it was very impressive in what it did and how well it did it. When Dreamcast is running perfect on the Switch then that alone will make it a must have but until then I bes chilling!
Don't worry buddy. I'm glad for you for whatever you enjoy. And it's not that I consider your point of view "stupid" or anything. It's completely valid. It's just not mine. :)

Without expanding this discussion as well I just want to add my last two cents on what you wrote.
Cent 1: The input lag with my 8Bitdo SN30 (just a wireless SNES pad without analog sticks) is almost not noticable. I hate input lag but I swear I can play with it without having any issues in any retro games. :)
Cent 2: I don't wanna go back to standalone emulators. Of course I used them as well for over two decades now (starting with ZSNES in the late 90's) and while I see the benefits, RetroArch really matured into a good state where many former standalone emulator options are still available under the menu entry "core options".
Having that said, each core still is kind of an emulator. Many famous standalone emulators have a Libretro core (what RetroArch uses) beside their main binary, giving you almost all (needed) options in RetroArch as well.
And I can tell you, at least for the Wii U and the Switch, that RetroArch was running awfully in the beginning and now runs pretty awesome on both systems thanks to some devs work. So that's being worked on. :)

Hielkenator2

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
So it seems most of the cool games... were ports of Neo Geo Arcade games.

Didn't Neo Geo have it's own consoles?

No wonder I never heard of the TurboGrafx-16 before.
So you are the special one? like if you did'nt hear of this console it must be un populair? lol.
And neogeo did not have consoles, SNK did, Neogeo was the name of the console. again, lol.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So you are the special one? like if you did'nt hear of this console it must be un populair? lol.
And neogeo did not have consoles, SNK did, Neogeo was the name of the console. again, lol.
Why did you to pee on that poor soul's parade, yo?

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why did you to pee on that poor soul's parade, yo?

There’s always plenty of that around :P
You just have to ignore it.

BOT, I’ve got my pre-order in for my PC Engine CoreGrafx Mini, it’ll join my growing collection of “Mini” consoles which never leave their boxes :D

Besides, it’ll look good next to my PC Engine CoreGrafx II, which to be fair, is already pretty Mini. It’s one of my all-time favourite console designs.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The use of cards reminds me of the Master System model 1. Heck the thing even had a CD rom reader accessory like the Sega Genesis.

Did people who build the original used to work for Sega or what?

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Anyway, Not that i will put aside my good old trusty PC-Engine Duo RX for the Mini,

It's now just easier to take the mini PC-Eninge with me to other places :)

Is not truly portable, you still need a TV.

Heck the PS1 had a mini Lcd screen thing that most people didn't care to use more than a few times but it still made the console more portable.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Extremely dissappointing line up of titles and implementation of the whole "mini console" concept.
I'm kind of siding with Bithead1000's opinion...

err... none of these games were on Neo Geo hardware (arcade or consoles).

You are right.

https://www.neogeokult.com/articles-us/neo-geo-games-ports-list-us/

Anyone got the Euro list?

And wow, it seems that I can play a lot of those ports on my Playstation 2, since it can also read Playstation games.

Man Did i love my Pc Engine Turbo Graf ... back in the 90's i even had the handheld version but i would not buy this mini ....

Ever had a Game Gear? The battery life sucked but some of the games were quite good.

Last edited by raxadian,

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The use of cards reminds me of the Master System model 1. Heck the thing even had a CD rom reader accessory like the Sega Genesis.

Did people who build the original used to work for Sega or what?

More like the other way around. Sega did do the thin cart style four years before the PC Engine appeared, but the PC Engine had a CD attachment a full three years before Sega did theirs.

In fact the PC Engine was the first console ever to have a CD-ROM.

Last edited by Stwert,

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We have classics like Chew-Man-Fu!
Who could forget Neutopia II?
Double Dungeons and Dragon's Curse!
They sound fun, right? Now grab your purse!

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Don't worry buddy. I'm glad for you for whatever you enjoy. And it's not that I consider your point of view "stupid" or anything. It's completely valid. It's just not mine. :)

Without expanding this discussion as well I just want to add my last two cents on what you wrote.
Cent 1: The input lag with my 8Bitdo SN30 (just a wireless SNES pad without analog sticks) is almost not noticable. I hate input lag but I swear I can play with it without having any issues in any retro games. :)
Cent 2: I don't wanna go back to standalone emulators. Of course I used them as well for over two decades now (starting with ZSNES in the late 90's) and while I see the benefits, RetroArch really matured into a good state where many former standalone emulator options are still available under the menu entry "core options".
Having that said, each core still is kind of an emulator. Many famous standalone emulators have a Libretro core (what RetroArch uses) beside their main binary, giving you almost all (needed) options in RetroArch as well.
And I can tell you, at least for the Wii U and the Switch, that RetroArch was running awfully in the beginning and now runs pretty awesome on both systems thanks to some devs work. So that's being worked on. :)

I've actually bought a PS Classic purely to run RA so I'm going to give it a fair shake as I only ever checked it out sporadically in its earlier stages so lets see if it lives up to the hype. One of the main things that put me off was Raspberry versions that everyone raves about as the platform itself had inherent lag and then the RA lag on top made it atrocious but so many people acted like it wasn't happening...

Reactions: lordelan

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You are right.

https://www.neogeokult.com/articles-us/neo-geo-games-ports-list-us/

Anyone got the Euro list?

And wow, it seems that I can play a lot of those ports on my Playstation 2, since it can also read Playstation games.

Ever had a Game Gear? The battery life sucked but some of the games were quite good.
lol you needed to be rich to have a gamegaer becuase in less than 6 months you spent more on batterys than the console price, that thing drained everything, it was bulky as hell, people still doubt the switch to be portable but back then no one said gamegear wasnt, just a huge brick, but hey it did have collors and such and it was quite powerful compared to the oirignal gb but good god played 3 or 4 hours and there goes 6 AA baterys. so basicaly it was like you smoke a pair of cigars a day you had to buy them everyday lol.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
lol you needed to be rich to have a gamegaer becuase in less than 6 months you spent more on batterys than the console price, that thing drained everything, it was bulky as hell, people still doubt the switch to be portable but back then no one said gamegear wasnt, just a huge brick, but hey it did have collors and such and it was quite powerful compared to the oirignal gb but good god played 3 or 4 hours and there goes 6 AA baterys. so basicaly it was like you smoke a pair of cigars a day you had to buy them everyday lol.

Yeah, it was much cheaper to get a Sega Genesis in the long run. Even if you hard rechargeable batteries.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/eFb28u5GPsU?si=35a7C58FgPbaxIMm