OP
Trophies
Website
www.ihavenohomepage.com
XP
Country
India
What you need

First, you'll need a 3DS running 9.2, with themehax and the Homebrew Launcher installed. Then, download the pack I have made from here . This pack contains a few different things. First, it contains Brahma2. This is used to run a program with higher privileges, which is needed for the program Uncart. Uncart is the program that will actually dump your game. Decrypt9 is also included, which we'll be using to generate .xorpad files. You'll also need 3DS Simple CIA Converter which I have mirrored to Mega.

All credit for the software goes to @delebile, @Citra-emu, and @d0k3 on Github, as well as Riku on GBATemp — all I did was compile the ones found on Github.

Dumping a cart to a .3ds file

Start the Homebrew Launcher from SysNAND, then run Brahma2. Hit A on Load ARM9 Payload, then select Uncart.bin. It should say Loaded Successfully. Back at the main menu of Brahma2, hit A on Run ARM9 Payload. Uncart should run. Insert your game cart and hit A. Uncart then gives you the option to swap your SD card, if you want to dump to a different SD card. Swap the SD card if you want, then hit A. It will begin dumping the ROM. The log for Uncart wraps to the top of the screen when it hits the bottom instead of scrolling, so it can be a tad confusing. The current progress is what's right above the X on the right side of the screen. If this doesn't make sense, watch Uncart's log hit the bottom of the screen and wrap back to the top, then maybe hopefully it'll make sense. When it's done, you can press B to restart you 3DS, or you can press any other button to dump another rom. All the dumps will be at the root of your SD card.

Convert .3ds files to .cia files

Place all the .3ds ROM files you want to convert into the roms directory of 3DS Simple CIA Converter. Insert your SD card into your computer/reader. Run 3DS Simple CIA Converter and hit the Create 'ncchinfo.bin' file button, and select the folder your ROMs are in. Another explorer window will pop up, asking to save the ncchinfo.bin file. Save it to the Decrypt9 directory in the root of your SD card. Put the SD card back into your 3DS, run Brahma2, then run Decrypt9.bin just like you ran Uncart.bin in the previous step. Under XOrpad Generator Options, run NCCH Padgen. Hit Select to unmount your SD card, then insert it into your computer and copy all the .xorpad files in the Decrypt9 directory to the xorpads folder in 3DS Simple CIA Converter. Run 3DS Simple CIA Converter, check FW Spoof if you want firmware spoofing, then press Convert 3DS ROM to CIA. Select your roms folder, and 3DS Simple CIA Converter will convert all the .3ds ROM files in your roms folder to .cia files in your cias folder. You can now move the .cia files to your SD card and install them using FBI or BigBlueMenu.

Notes

If you dump a cart and it's split into multiple files, you can use the DOS copy command with the binary flag (/b) to merge them. Example: copy /b rom.3d0 + rom.3d1 final.3ds. For Linux/Mac users, use cat. Example: cat rom.3d0 rom.3d1 > final.3ds.

This tutorial can also be used to convert .3ds ROM files that your friends give youwinkwink to .cia files — just skip the Dumping a cart to a .3ds file step, and instead just place the .3ds files you have acquired in the roms folder of 3DS Simple CIA Converter.

If there are any issues with this tutorial, feel free to comment or message me on here.

FAQ

Why not use rxTools for the .xorpad file generation instead of Decrypt9?

I wrote this guide using Decrypt9 to be independent of the CFW a reader of this guide may be using. I actually had some issues using rxTools when I first tried it, so I switched to Reinand. rxTools didn't properly generate .xorpad files, the documentation on it was complete shit, and as of writing this FAQ doesn't support emuNAND 10.5. rxTools and Decrypt9 do the exact same things for .xorpad files, so use whichever you want. Neither have an advantage over the other.

Why use uncart instead of Gateway Launcher?

uncart seems to be quite a bit faster than Gateway Launcher, but like rxTools and Decrypt9, they both should do the same thing, so use whichever you want. Neither have an advantage over the other.

Updates

1. I merged Generating .xorpad files with Convert .3ds files to .cia files since converting .3ds files to .cia files requires .xorpad files to be generated.
  2. From reading the Decrypt9 docs, I don't believe running SD Padgen is required — I'm unable to confirm at the moment. I've removed it from the tutorial for now. I've also used an old version of the Decrypt9 source code. Once I have time I'll update the pack I made with @d0k3's Decrypt9WIP.
  3. I updated the pack to a modified version of Uncart that should have better compatibility, as well as the ability to restart your 3DS by hitting the B button after dumping a ROM. I also updated Decrypt9 to @d0k3's version. Small changes to the tutorial were made.\

Note:I don't own the guide and am just sharing it cause it helped me a lot. THIS GUIDE WAS WRITTEN BY chncdcksn :)

Last edited by Shaswati,

AyanamiRei

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry to disturb this tutorial, but I thought my question could fit with the theme: Simpe CIA converter works good and fast but is there any similar program who write a "title banner" in this CIA (instead of this big yellow "cartouche") ?
Is the banner logo even included in the 3DS files we "rip"?

The real official banner from the game comes automatically when you convert your .3ds using Simple CIA converter, if that's what you're asking.
Thank you, I must have done something wrong. ^^"

Last edited by AyanamiRei,

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to disturb this tutorial, but I thought my question could fit with the theme: Simpe CIA converter works good and fast but is there any similar program who write a "title banner" in this CIA (instead of this big yellow "cartouche") ?
Is the banner logo even included in the 3DS files we "rip"?
The real official banner from the game comes automatically when you convert your .3ds using Simple CIA converter, if that's what you're asking.

Reactions: AyanamiRei

Giever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I trim my backups before converting them to .cia? And, if so, what's a good program to use to trim them?

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
What's the best way to get Decrypt9 on a new3DS with Reinand? I read Brahma2 is not tested on new 3DS

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyhe5d1WED8