Homebrew addicted
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi.

I decided to open this thread so rookie's skinners got a base to start their very first skin.
In this thread i will provide already made ez skin project (.ess) so you will only have to load your top and bottom background picture in bmp format (256x192).
For now i have made a system pack icon in 2 colors : black and white.

Are you ready for your first skin ?

Well, time to start !
smile.gif

First you need to download the zip file attached to this post and unzip it in your Ez Skin Forger folder.
That done, you have to find 2 pictures for the top screen and bottom screen background. I'm sure you have already an idea about your futur skin.
Let say you wish to make one based on the movie Wall-e. Use google image to find some good pictures. Keep in mind that the bottom screen will display system icons and some useful information like the game's name, so be sure to choose a picture that have enough space to display this, without be too much overwritten by them.

Ok, i have found 2 pictures and i copy them in ezskin forger's (let me call it ESF, to be more simple) folder. Mainly it's JPEG files that we found, so as ESF require BMP format you need to convert them with your favorite painting software (i use one of those 2 freeware : Paint.net or gimp for that). Also, the DS screen resolution is 256x192, mean that you have to resize both pictures to this size.

Once done, i write bmp files in ESF folder and name them top_wall-e.bmp and bottom_wall-e.bmp.

topbottom.png

Here is the result of both files converted and resized (left to right : top and bottom picture)

Well, it's almost finished now. Time to launch ESF.
As you can see, the bottom picture is quite dark. So here i will use white icon pack.
Let's go !
Menu File -> Open. I browse to the folder named icon_pack_white, and i load icon_pack_2.ess.
Now all i have to do is load my top and bottom bmp pictures.
On the right side of ESF you will see Items displayed (FileList Background, Desktop Background, Light Control ...)
I select FileList Background and load my picture from Item Properties. Here it's the file top_wall-e.bmp.
I do the same for Desktop Background but with the file bottom_wall-e.bmp of course.
The job is done ! you have finished your skin. 8)

esfpreview.png

To keep it for further modifications, it's time to save it on your hard drive.
Menu File -> Save As and give a name to your .ess file name. I will call it Wall-e and i click save. A file Wall-e.ess is created in current folder (icon_pack_white).

Now, i'm sure you are wondering something.
But how the hell i will use my new skin on my ezv ?

Well the last step is not done ... time to do it !

Menu Compile -> Make Full Pack. Enter a name, but be very careful here : The kernel requires skin file names to be a maximum of 8 letters in length, excluding the extension.
So here i will type wall-e and save. A window will pop-up and your skin will be recorded in ESF folder (Wall-e.dat).
Now you can copy the freshly created .dat file on your microSD in /EZ5shell/skin folder and try it on your DS.
That's it !

Ez Skin Forger icon pack black and white

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch