EmperorOfCanada

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There have been a surge in the number of tutorials released in the past few weeks. I myself have posted one, in an attempt to noobify the downgrade / backup loader process. Yet they keep coming and coming and are about easier and easier topics. I will try not to single out any threads as I wouldnt necessarily want this done to me, and ultimately I think these tutorials are being posted by well intentioned people who are just trying to help. Ask yourself before you post, has this been answered before? If so, am I adding anything new? If not, perhaps choose another topic! My intent is not to ridicule the posters of these inane guides, but to plead to them and all future guide writers to stop the madness!

There is a natural progression, or evolutionary process to learning most of the things here. One does not sit sown in front of the computer for the first time, press the power button, then jump straight into a seemingly complicated process like downgrading a wii and installing homebrew onto it. As the guides get easier and easier and cover more and more topics, we are putting powerful tools into the hands of people who do not have the capacity or at least the understanding to wield these tools responsibly. I don't care if an 8 year old CAN hack a wii, I dont really think they should (unless it was purchased with their own money, then have at er)

As I said, I myself am responsible for the noobifying of one of the popular guides on this forum, and in my defense I at least did so with the intent of A) helping people who were going to be doing it anyways, and to do it as safe as possible and B) I tried to inject a small amount of teaching into the guide as well so that it was not only as easy as possible but tried to explain WHAT some of the steps did.

I, to be quite honest, have only a very basic understanding of coding and what makes these hacks work. I was not spoon-fed the information that I try to now teach to others. I will not preach about learning for learning sake.. you shouldn't have to learn the in's and out's if they bore you, but you should feel the obligation to teach yourself to understand what you are doing. Understand the steps you are taking before you take them and not just blindly accept the words of some guy on the internet. Understand WHY you are doing what you are doing.

I see some pretty ridiculous things posted and I want to make sure people know the reason it upsets some of us that are more knowledgeable. If, just as an example, someone does not know how to decompress files, burn CD's or DVD's, use google, explain the problems they are having as clearly as possible (details details details!) then they probably should not be playing with files that could potentially damage their expensive console. The details one irritates me more than anything, because people are asking me and others to solve their problems, with as little to go on as 'X game isnt working! help!'

I want to be clear that most of us do not think that these questions themselves are necessarily stupid, as we have all been there, we have all been using something for the first time and felt stupid as hell compared to some of our peers. The problem is when someone creates an account here, posts 3 of 4 posts, all of which are questions that have been answered before, or would take a few minutes on google, and then is never to be seen from again.. Helping people like these is NOT helping our community, it is nothing more than wasting our time, and cluttering up an already busy forum.

I have no problems at all spending a half hour, an hour, or two hours, helping someone help themselves.

I don't have 5 minutes to spare for someone who wants me to do it for them.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

EoC

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
That's not a rant mate, that's common sense in text! There's some stuff that people should go out and learn for themselves, ie the basics. I've seen a few people asking for help on how to unarchive rar files. If they don't know that then like you say they most definitely should not be attempting any hardware trickery on their Wii. Also if stuff is too spelled out for people then it's no longer them hacking the Wii, it's them making it play free games.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
That's not a rant mate, that's common sense in text! There's some stuff that people should go out and learn for themselves, ie the basics. I've seen a few people asking for help on how to unarchive rar files. If they don't know that then like you say they most definitely should not be attempting any hardware trickery on their Wii. Also if stuff is too spelled out for people then it's no longer them hacking the Wii, it's them making it play free games.
Very true!

Hey, EmperorOfCanada you are exactly right, it's getting beyond a joke, not only does it make people /the forum like stupid, but it "Actually" makes these complete Noobs to "never ever" do anything for themselves, i mean how did they get to this site? if they didn't search! so why cant they do it for the simplelest of things, Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.
wink2.gif

QUOTE said:
I, to be quite honest, have only a very basic understanding of coding and what makes these hacks work. I was not spoon-fed the information that I try to now teach to others. I will not preach about learning for learning sake.. you shouldn't have to learn the in's and out's if they bore you, but you should feel the obligation to teach yourself to understand what you are doing. Understand the steps you are taking before you take them and not just blindly accept the words of some guy on the internet. Understand WHY you are doing what you are doing.
110% matey

Exactly check my signature....

Please Read The Readme, if you can't do that FORGET about using any apps etc!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...