Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 770,791
  • Replies 2,438
  • Likes 102

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
This is the first I've heard of this issue.
On O2DS consoles, the bottom screen is dim when using widescreen.

Someone on Discord is having this issue.

4:3
IMG_20220301_025456.jpg

16:10
IMG_20220301_025341.jpg

I know this is no longer being worked on, but is this a known issue, or is this a user-specific issue?

It is not no longer being worked on, I simply just removed the downloads.

I have never heard of this issue before. What patch combination did they apply? Also what scale filter did they select?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not no longer being worked on, I simply just removed the downloads.

I have never heard of this issue before. What patch combination did they apply? Also what scale filter did they select?
It seems this issue only occurs if GPU scaling is disabled. Turning it on fixed it.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It seems this issue only occurs if GPU scaling is disabled. Turning it on fixed it.

Sounds like they are choosing a darkening scaler filter, which doesn't get applied to the top screen, causing this weird difference.

It would be good to know the *exact* steps they use to create the patched version.
Also the version of the patcher. The latest version contains lots of bugfixes.

ROMANREIGNS599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey. I have a question. If I play some DS games through TWILIGHT MENU ++, will there be a blurry or some bad visual quality kind of problem? So that I know if I need to do all this, it’d get confusing

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Hey. I have a question. If I play some DS games through TWILIGHT MENU ++, will there be a blurry or some bad visual quality kind of problem? So that I know if I need to do all this, it’d get confusing
TWiLight Menu++ won't be any different visually from playing DS games from the real carts or such. On 3DS DS games will always either be blurry or tiny though simply due to the fact that the 3DS is higher resolution than the DS, this can be used to improve the scaling though.

ROMANREIGNS599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TWiLight Menu++ won't be any different visually from playing DS games from the real carts or such. On 3DS DS games will always either be blurry or tiny though simply due to the fact that the 3DS is higher resolution than the DS, this can be used to improve the scaling though.
Awh man, I need to do all this then I guess.

ROMANREIGNS599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, there’s no known fix for how the gba games look less vibrant and blurry on any 3DS, right?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Also, there’s no known fix for how the gba games look less vibrant and blurry on any 3DS, right?
It's the same problem as with DS games, the 3DS is simply not a resolution that scales well for them. The 3DS is 400*x240 on the top screen and 320x240 on the bottom, the DS is 256x192, and the GBA is 240x160. So that's a 1.25x scale for DS games and a 1.5x scale for GBA games, neither of which are great.

As far is "less vibrant" goes there may be some way to tweak that depending on how you're running the games. open_agb_firm has some gamma options and mGBA might have something, with VC injects or GBARunner2 you're just stuck with how it is though.

*everything except the o2DS (even the n2DS) is actually 800x240 with non-square pixels for 3D, this is rarely made use of though.

Reactions: ROMANREIGNS599

ROMANREIGNS599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the same problem as with DS games, the 3DS is simply not a resolution that scales well for them. The 3DS is 400*x240 on the top screen and 320x240 on the bottom, the DS is 256x192, and the GBA is 240x160. So that's a 1.25x scale for DS games and a 1.5x scale for GBA games, neither of which are great.

As far is "less vibrant" goes there may be some way to tweak that depending on how you're running the games. open_agb_firm has some gamma options and mGBA might have something, with VC injects or GBARunner2 you're just stuck with how it is though.

*everything except the o2DS (even the n2DS) is actually 800x240 with non-square pixels for 3D, this is rarely made use of though.
So I’m a bit confused, does tw patch fix the blur issue AND the color saturation(if there is this issue for DS games too) when playing a ds game through TWILIGHT MENU++

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
So I’m a bit confused, does tw patch fix the blur issue AND the color saturation(if there is this issue for DS games too) when playing a ds game through TWILIGHT MENU++
It doesn't necessarily fix the blur, but it does make it better and it does work with TWiLight Menu++. It might have some impact on colors, but I'm honestly not sure. The best thing to do is probably just try it out yourself, it's got a preview so you can easily try out its various filter options.

Reactions: ROMANREIGNS599

ROMANREIGNS599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't necessarily fix the blur, but it does make it better and it does work with TWiLight Menu++. It might have some impact on colors, but I'm honestly not sure. The best thing to do is probably just try it out yourself, it's got a preview so you can easily try out its various filter options.
Alright bro, thanks for all the info

ROMANREIGNS599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bro, if you don’t mind me asking, have you seen anyone done accurate color settings for gba in settings for open agb firm? I couldn’t find anything when I searched. I’d really love to know this because gba games on 3DS are ideal except for the colors and a little blurring. Ido what gamma and all the settings are

susu333

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Bro, if you don’t mind me asking, have you seen anyone done accurate color settings for gba in settings for open agb firm? I couldn’t find anything when I searched. I’d really love to know this because gba games on 3DS are ideal except for the colors and a little blurring. Ido what gamma and all the settings are
hi,Press and hold the start button and do not let go, open the game, it will enter the point-to-point mode

Atomic_Jay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hacked my 3ds just to use twpatch, my ds games look so much better i dont even use my ds lite now. Is there a patch similar to twpatch that works for gba injected games? The blurriness is less than desirable on those games

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I hacked my 3ds just to use twpatch, my ds games look so much better i dont even use my ds lite now. Is there a patch similar to twpatch that works for gba injected games? The blurriness is less than desirable on those games

TWPatch actually includes some, though all of them look awful.

Hold Y (or X, I forgot which) while TWPatch loads to switch to GBA mode patching.

Reactions: Atomic_Jay

Atomic_Jay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TWPatch actually includes some, though all of them look awful.

Hold Y (or X, I forgot which) while TWPatch loads to switch to GBA mode patching.
Does it look like this? The only one was linear interpolation test but ill be honest it looked exactly the same

Attachments

• 20220324_215859.jpg
    20220324_215859.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 183

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Does it look like this? The only one was linear interpolation test but ill be honest it looked exactly the same

Ouch, it seems like I either messed something up, or I accidentally deleted all my GBA upscale test matrixes. There is supposed to be like two extra test matrixes, each with different subpixel interpolation values.

The reason the test image looks so messed up is because the test images are 256x192 (DS), while GBA test images are 240x160, and I don't have any test images for GBA.

New version soon?

I am too sick to work on the new release, but rest assured, there is still releases to do for TWPatch, like allowing user-defined upscale matrixes from SDCard, and a few more patches which have been requested during this thread's lifetime.

I don't have a timeframe for when any of these will be fixed/implemented, as none of the curing methods tried on me so far seem to work for my illness.

Atomic_Jay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ouch, it seems like I either messed something up, or I accidentally deleted all my GBA upscale test matrixes. There is supposed to be like two extra test matrixes, each with different subpixel interpolation values.

The reason the test image looks so messed up is because the test images are 256x192 (DS), while GBA test images are 240x160, and I don't have any test images for GBA.

I am too sick to work on the new release, but rest assured, there is still releases to do for TWPatch, like allowing user-defined upscale matrixes from SDCard, and a few more patches which have been requested during this thread's lifetime.

I don't have a timeframe for when any of these will be fixed/implemented, as none of the curing methods tried on me so far seem to work for my illness.
While the filters are gone, i messed around and found that using the widescreen mode actually makes the games alot sharper, and since gba games are already mostly widescreen the stretching is barely noticeable. Theres some pixel distortion sadly, but it is an alternative, and the gpu mode also works. Its still really blurry, but the games dont look as smudgey with that ugly bilinear filtering, so theres still some use for gba games with twpatch as it is.

Atomic_Jay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If youre using new super ultimate injector, there is an option when making gba cias to add a dark filter that makes them look natural and less saturated. Its not as effective as a color correction filter, but the games look alot better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLD1yhxNik