Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 761,104
  • Replies 2,430
  • Likes 102

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Legitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the ability to lower the colour temperature of the screen while playing DS games. Caveats:
  • The d-pad LR patch seems to be applied by default even when the box is not checked. I had to check the “disable defaults” box to make it stop applying the d-pad LR patch.
  • The CIA uses the official Nintendo 3DS boot animation, instead of the homebrew boot animation.
  • Why shouldn’t you disable RTCOM?

Last edited by Legitendo,
Reactions: Sono

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ouch, it seems like I either messed something up, or I accidentally deleted all my GBA upscale test matrixes. There is supposed to be like two extra test matrixes, each with different subpixel interpolation values.

The reason the test image looks so messed up is because the test images are 256x192 (DS), while GBA test images are 240x160, and I don't have any test images for GBA.

I am too sick to work on the new release, but rest assured, there is still releases to do for TWPatch, like allowing user-defined upscale matrixes from SDCard, and a few more patches which have been requested during this thread's lifetime.

I don't have a timeframe for when any of these will be fixed/implemented, as none of the curing methods tried on me so far seem to work for my illness.

As someone with disabilities and a chronic, incurable illness I can relate a bit... I hope you eventually find a way to recover :( All my best wishes!

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Thanks for the ability to lower the colour temperature of the screen while playing DS games. Caveats:
  • The d-pad LR patch seems to be applied by default even when the box is not checked. I had to check the “disable defaults” box to make it stop applying the d-pad LR patch.
  • The CIA uses the official Nintendo 3DS boot animation, instead of the homebrew boot animation.
  • Why shouldn’t you disable RTCOM?

- I'll look into the DPAD patch, as it shouldn't be enabled by default.

- Ah, fair enough, thanks for pointing it out! I'll try to remember to replace it... I hope

- The entire patching code is absolute madness, and due to weird bugs in the patching code, disabling rtcom would create an improperly patched binary, which would crash on launch. This is also why rtcom is also enabled in GBA mode, despite being absolutely and utterly pointless, as we didn't even yet find a reliable way to communicate between the GBA ARM7 and the 3DS ARM9/ARM11. So yeah, in short rtcom is needed because some patches rely on how I integrate rtcom into the runtime.

At this point, the only reason I'm not releasing TWPatcher source code is because it's an absolute utter turdfest, and I'm just absolutely ashamed of the code "quality" it has.

I need to rewrite parts of it anyway for the custom scale matrix builder, widescreen scale matrix support, and in general better UI and stuff.

88cmflak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Need help. I have tried every single filter and I can confirm it doesn't make a slight difference on ds games (I'm using twilight menu++) even with darken and debug patches. Also I have enabled enabled game patching and modules on luma settings. Any ideas?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need help. I have tried every single filter and I can confirm it doesn't make a slight difference on ds games (I'm using twilight menu++) even with darken and debug patches. Also I have enabled enabled game patching and modules on luma settings. Any ideas?
Make sure Luma is being run from the SD card instead of CTRNAND.

88cmflak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Make sure Luma is being run from the SD card instead of CTRNAND.
Thanks for the reply :D. Checked my bootfirm and It is indeed in CTRNAND instead of root sdcard. How do I change it or Is there an updated guide somewhere to move bootfirm from ctrnand to my sdcard? I don't wanna break my device just so I can play mario kart DS without the annoying blur.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply :D. Checked my bootfirm and It is indeed in CTRNAND instead of root sdcard. How do I change it or Is there an updated guide somewhere to move bootfirm from ctrnand to my sdcard? I don't wanna break my device just so I can play mario kart DS without the annoying blur.
You can just add the "boot.firm" to the SD root without moving it.

88cmflak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Thanks now It's working and DS games looks crisp and nice, though the downside is some text and character art looks too pixelated at some point especially on 3ds xl, but it's a fair trade for more clarity.

Question though, is there anyway to only apply this patch for DS games? It seems that the patches also apply to GBA as well and it looks too pixelated for GBA.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Thanks now It's working and DS games looks crisp and nice, though the downside is some text and character art looks too pixelated at some point especially on 3ds xl, but it's a fair trade for more clarity.

Question though, is there anyway to only apply this patch for DS games? It seems that the patches also apply to GBA as well and it looks too pixelated for GBA.

You have to go out of your way to patch GBA (hidden option hold Y at startup), so it most likely has been always that way without you noticing. GBA is exactly an 1.5x upscale, and Nintendo is not applying any interpolation to it, making it look pixelated.

The exact default upscaling algo is previous*1.0, previous*0.5 + current*0.5, current*1.0.

ROMANREIGNS599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If youre using new super ultimate injector, there is an option when making gba cias to add a dark filter that makes them look natural and less saturated. Its not as effective as a color correction filter, but the games look alot better.
Will that make the gba games look like how they look thru open agb firm? I personally found aria to look very ugly thru open agb firm

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
@ROMANREIGNS599
That's the scaling. Unfortunately there is not much that can be done about it. It's either x1.5 or x1.0 the later of which doesn't fill the screen completely but has no scaling artifacts. VC injects have the same restrictions.

maxolina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can this affect GBA games played through VC injects installed as .cia files?

Or is this only for games played through TwilightMenu++ (emulated, in the case of GBA, correct?)

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Can this affect GBA games played through VC injects installed as .cia files?

Or is this only for games played through TwilightMenu++ (emulated, in the case of GBA, correct?)
Press Y while booting the CIA, and you'll see a different set of features for GBA VC games (though it's incomplete in currently available builds).

Reactions: Nutez

maxolina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Press Y while booting the CIA, and you'll see a different set of features for GBA VC games (though it's incomplete in currently available builds).
I'm only interested in the red filter (blue light reduction) while playing GBA games, is that complete / does that work just fine and hassle-free, or am I looking for trouble and complications?

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm only interested in the red filter (blue light reduction) while playing GBA games, is that complete / does that work just fine and hassle-free, or am I looking for trouble and complications?
Everything that's currently available on TWPatch's menu works correctly, don't be afraid to make your own setups 😄 Redshift (blue light filter) works as intended.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: These videos are soooo dry