Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 749,821
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 101

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThatGDub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey folks - not sure if this is a known issue or if it’s even caused by TW patcher, but I’m using Twilight Menu ++ with the patcher and for some reason on top screen when using the DS(I) theme, the time and date is really janky in the game selector menu. Any thoughts?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hey folks - not sure if this is a known issue or if it’s even caused by TW patcher, but I’m using Twilight Menu ++ with the patcher and for some reason on top screen when using the DS(I) theme, the time and date is really janky in the game selector menu. Any thoughts?

Please elaborate. How is it janky?

Reactions: ThatGDub

ThatGDub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there, thanks for the response! The text for the time and date in the TWiLight Menu++ DS(i) menu seems to be super blurry/missing pixels to the point of being illegible, while the rest of the menu looks fine.

I suppose that this may be an issue with the theme itself and not the patcher as it seems to occur whether using widescreen or not, as I only noticed after updating to a newer version of Twilight Menu++. Thanks for any help or insight!
Post automatically merged:

Here is an image for context:

IMG_7242.jpeg

Last edited by ThatGDub,

recs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hey there, thanks for the response! The text for the time and date in the TWiLight Menu++ DS(i) menu seems to be super blurry/missing pixels to the point of being illegible, while the rest of the menu looks fine.

I suppose that this may be an issue with the theme itself and not the patcher as it seems to occur whether using widescreen or not, as I only noticed after updating to a newer version of Twilight Menu++. Thanks for any help or insight!

View attachment 421512
I think that's caused by GPU scaling. I only seen it on the Twilight Menu but not on any game so, not really sure what's the cause.

A problem that actually appears while running game is a edge-mixing effect on the first and last horizontal pixels. It is very obvious in scenes with black backgrounds.
I don't know if this bug has been reported before or whether it only occurs to me, but. While using the GPU scaler the left and right edges of both the top and bottom screem seems to... blend? Exchange? I am not sure, but it is more or less noticeable depending on the colors. It's very evident in black backgrounds. Only happens in DS mode though, the bug doesn't appear to happen on GBA mode with the GPU scaling patch.

It is a shame since is the scaling method that produces the best picture considering the resolutions. Using a New 3DS XL with a top IPS and a bottom TN, if that makes any difference.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 421512
The issue is caused by outdated skin files, please delete the dark skin in "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/dsimenu/themes/".

DevinG70

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! I seem to be having some issues with getting the filters to stick? Everything was working fine until I removed the sysmodule file to get rid of widescreen, and now I can't seem to select any filter, like when I hit A on a filter, it won't give a little star next to it showing it's been selected, selecting things in the patch menu seems to work though, any advice? I already tried reinstalling twilight and twpatch

Hey! I seem to be having some issues with getting the filters to stick? Everything was working fine until I removed the sysmodule file to get rid of widescreen, and now I can't seem to select any filter, like when I hit A on a filter, it won't give a little star next to it showing it's been selected, selecting things in the patch menu seems to work though, any advice? I already tried reinstalling twilight and twpatch
Scratch that, should be fine now, I guess can still apply filters hitting start without selecting them? Though I remember being able to select them before 😅

Last edited by DevinG70,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary

Scratch that, should be fine now, I guess can still apply filters hitting start without selecting them? Though I remember being able to select them before 😅

The star only applies in patches (Y+B). For filters there is only the arrow, which instantly works.

You must apply all patches by START in the filter selection screen.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hi everyone
Was wondering if has been any advancements regarding custom matrixes on Twpatch?

Oh... there has been, I just went full goldfish, and completely forgot I did anything...

I figured I can split GBA and DS(i) scale filters instead of trying to combine the two into some janky file format, so if I don't forget again, I'll cobble together a build which can copypaste a raw scale filter into the binary.

As for the website, I keep forgetting "how to understand" scale matrixes, so I've never implemented a scale matrix generator.
But nothing prevents me from making a separate website which can render manually entered scale matrixes, and also export them to files.
And perhaps also a website where you can combine these files into one, like some sort of file manager.

Can't promise any website, but the custom matrix loading code is basically "complete", I just didn't document the file format yet, and didn't enable it either, as having to swap between a single file is tedious.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might be blind, but is there any readme or documentation somewhere?
I used TWPatcher for the first time today and it seems to me that all information is scattered in this thread across the 120+ pages?
If not for this post, I would have never figured out how to actually enable the patch(es) :D

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I might be blind, but is there any readme or documentation somewhere?
I used TWPatcher for the first time today and it seems to me that all information is scattered in this thread across the 120+ pages?
If not for this post, I would have never figured out how to actually enable the patch(es) :D

Well, that's embarrassing... you're right, I think I have once erased the *old* instructions, and never made new ones.

I have subconsciously replied the same to people asking how to use TWPatch, but I was never called out for not including them in the first post, so thank you!

There was one reply I think I worded really well, I'll have to dig that up from the page history... Hopefully I won't forget...

Reactions: FR0ZN

rick_ff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Caledonia
Enabling widescreen patch does stretch 320 to 400 without any scaling afterwards?
As in, internal prescale (all these filters, incl. orig nintendo one) does 256x192 to 320x240 but it seems like after enabling widescreen it does additional very pixely 320 to 400 scaling? Is it possible to have smooth scaling in widescreen?

Seems like only gpu scaling helps with this.

EDIT: Another question - is there way fowarder to respect TWiLight Menu++ settings for aspect ratio or is there two forwarders that I can use separately? atm I'm using the one with "sd:/_nds/ntr-forwarder/" path

Last edited by rick_ff,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Enabling widescreen patch does stretch 320 to 400 without any scaling afterwards?
As in, internal prescale (all these filters, incl. orig nintendo one) does 256x192 to 320x240 but it seems like after enabling widescreen it does additional very pixely 320 to 400 scaling? Is it possible to have smooth scaling in widescreen?

Seems like only gpu scaling helps with this.

EDIT: Another question - is there way fowarder to respect TWiLight Menu++ settings for aspect ratio or is there two forwarders that I can use separately? atm I'm using the one with "sd:/_nds/ntr-forwarder/" path

DS(i) games always render at 256x192, and GBA games always render at 240x160 with no way to change that, so scaling artifacts will always happen due to missing pixels.

For widescreen (non-GPU) upscaling, the X scaler is changed to "identity" due to not enough code space to include a widescreen matrix, so that's why it looks so pixelated.
As for GPU widescreen, there should be no artifacts, as it takes the original non-scaled image, and upscales it with only the GPU, nothing else.

I can't answer the TWiLightMenu++ question, someone else will have to.

Reactions: rick_ff

Vorty11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, Sono. After posting that I read through the entire thread and now have a better understanding of how TWPatch works. Those newb questions were answered earlier in the thread.

Also had a chance to try mGBA in 800x240 mode and was very impressed by the quality of the upscaling in Binlinear (pixelated) mode. I compared it with your AGB_FIRM and open_agb_firm, and the difference in image quality was obvious. So, I'm now sold on 800px mode for the best possible upscaling quality. The higher resolution might offer a subtle improvement to some, but to my eyes it strikes perhaps the ideal balance between smoothness and detail preservation. Haven't seen anything better than Linear sharpen 1 for DS games yet, however... and it is great that it works with VC titles.
Sorry for my newb question! Are you saying that 800x240 mode in mGBA is just as good as AGB_FIRm and open_agb rendering? Also, I still don't quite understand how to use the filters for gba. Like, I know you can start TWPatch holding Y to get to the GBA filters settings. But how do you enable the filters and which program uses them, open_agb_firm?

I don't know if this bug has been reported before or whether it only occurs to me, but. While using the GPU scaler the left and right edges of both the top and bottom screem seems to... blend? Exchange? I am not sure, but it is more or less noticeable depending on the colors. It's very evident in black backgrounds. Only happens in DS mode though, the bug doesn't appear to happen on GBA mode with the GPU scaling patch.

It is a shame since is the scaling method that produces the best picture considering the resolutions. Using a New 3DS XL with a top IPS and a bottom TN, if that makes any difference.
When you say GBA mode, how are you running gba games specifcially?

I'm surprised that people aren't finding the image quality impressive with this app. To me it looks stunning with the config I'm using and is almost as crisp as a DSL.

Miles better than the standard Nintendo offering which was borderline unplayable. With this and the custom Gamma config on OAF you can get some amazing BC and image quality on 3DS.
Just curious, what config are you using?

Last edited by Vorty11,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4