Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 751,891
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 101

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Feffe

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sadly it's not possible to change the resolution at which the DS GPU outputs the screen, so what you're seeing is actually always the 256x192 stretched to whatever resolution the stretching is set to. The widescreen patches to my knowledge are only changing the aspect ratio of the 3D rendering, nothing else.
If I'm getting this right, it should thereotically be possible to have games running at 1.5x without losing any part of the screen by "shrinking" the screen, shouldn't it?

Last edited by Feffe,

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If I'm getting this right, it should thereotically be possible to have games running at 1.5x without losing any part of the screen by "shrinking" the screen, shouldn't it?

1.5x does not increase the internal resolution, it only stretches the image, so shrinking it would be doing the the same that the 1.25x scale factor already does.

Last edited by DSoryu,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
That's incredible, @Sono. Isn't input in games generally polled once per frame anyway? Why would it cause latency to send input only once per frame?

I'm pretty sure most games poll it at 60Hz. The problem is that if the ARM11 runs a bit slow then the input can be missed, and thus there will be a single frame delay.

I don't get what you mean by that.

Reactions: Vague Rant

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I find this really interesting, but I just want to be certain how you would go about undoing it before I try anything. From reading this thread and the other thread, I gather that to undo this you would delete the cxi file in luma/sysmodules, and turn off loading extgernal FIRMs and modules in Luma's configuration menu? Is that correct? Thanks!

I looked at the samples in the app and linear sharpen 1 seems best. It provides a sharper image without adding jaggies. The improvement is so nice I got impatient and went ahead with the patching. It took around 2-3 minutes on New 3DSXL.

Last edited by Deaddy,
Reactions: Sono

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I find this really interesting, but I just want to be certain how you would go about undoing it before I try anything. From reading this thread and the other thread, I gather that to undo this you would delete the cxi file in luma/sysmodules, and turn off loading extgernal FIRMs and modules in Luma's configuration menu? Is that correct? Thanks!

I looked at the samples in the app and linear sharpen 1 seems best. It provides a sharper image without adding jaggies. The improvement is so nice I got impatient and went ahead with the patching. It took around 2-3 minutes on New 3DSXL.

Yeah, all you need is to do that. Turning off sysmodule loadin is just only necessary if you have security concerns, but if someone already has access to your 3DS then they can just enable it themselves...

As for patching, it sadly takes ages (measured almost exactly 6mins on old3DS (5m54s afaik)), and I don't know what do do about it. I'm kinda afraid to touch the compressor code, considering that's what was holding me back from releasing the first edition much earlier.

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Yeah, all you need is to do that. Turning off sysmodule loadin is just only necessary if you have security concerns, but if someone already has access to your 3DS then they can just enable it themselves...

As for patching, it sadly takes ages (measured almost exactly 6mins on old3DS (5m54s afaik)), and I don't know what do do about it. I'm kinda afraid to touch the compressor code, considering that's what was holding me back from releasing the first edition much earlier.

How about an optional TWL cxi toggle within the app so that you do the compression once for every matrix and then the app just moves/renames the one you are using to luma/sysmodules? You would have to wait around half an hour the first time, but afterwards is just toggling a button.

With that i mean it outputs to a different folder and just moves the outputted file when selected from that folder to the sysmodules folder. Without having to do the compression all over again

Last edited by Alex658,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
How about an optional TWL cxi toggle within the app so that you do the compression once for every matrix and then the app just moves/renames the one you are using to luma/sysmodules? You would have to wait around half an hour the first time, but afterwards is just toggling a button.

With that i mean it outputs to a different folder and just moves the outputted file when selected from that folder to the sysmodules folder. Without having to do the compression all over again

I'm too lazy to do that, sorry. I'd rather fuck up the compression function again for a slight speedup than to do this (because appearently rewriting the compression function which delayed the release of the first version is appearently somehow less effort.. don't question my logic :wacko:).

Reactions: Nutez

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I thought it was pretty quick on New XL, I was expecting 5 or 6 minutes and it took about 2.

I tested linear sharpen 1 on a few Pokemon games and it's a noticeable improvement in sharpness. I'm really looking forward to the GBA version whenever its ready, GBA games look pretty bad on my 3DS.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'm hoping GBA games can look better with a whole 50% more pixels to work with instead of 25%. I think mGBA does a pretty good job with scaling, so it would be nice to have some options closer to that in VC too.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I'm really looking forward to the GBA version whenever its ready, GBA games look pretty bad on my 3DS.
Yeah I'm hoping GBA games can look better with a whole 50% more pixels to work with instead of 25%. I think mGBA does a pretty good job with scaling, so it would be nice to have some options closer to that in VC too.

I'm sorry to say, but I just can't get GBA games looking good. And when using the widescreen patch, the horizontal matrix unit gets cleared to 1.0 values, meaning that you'll always get sharp pixels. This is a problem, because for GBA mode the scaling is 6/4 for default scaling, and 5/3 for widescreen scaling. As for DS mode, the default scaling is 5/4, and my widescreen patch is 6/4.

If none of you want widescreen scaling then I could try something else, but so far I haven't been so lucky with GBA's 1.5x scaling :/ No pattern looks good. The sharp pattern has duplicate pixels, which is looks horribly bad with text.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If widescreen GBA = filling the entire screen, I don't have much interest in that, aspect ratio suits me fine. To me the VC scaling is overly sharp and I'd be mostly interested in softer options.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't quite follow all of that, but I personally have no interest in playing in an improper aspect ratio if that is what's being discussed.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
If widescreen GBA = filling the entire screen, I don't have much interest in that, aspect ratio suits me fine. To me the VC scaling is overly sharp and I'd be mostly interested in softer options.
I didn't quite follow all of that, but I personally have no interest in playing in an improper aspect ratio if that is what's being discussed.

Linear sharpen 1 for GBA perhaps? I didn't try that one yet for GBA mode, because I'm having "delamination" problems due to being confused about where the current pixel is.

I can write a hardware emulator which produces the exact same results as the real hardware (other than the edges), yet I can't figure out how to get good results without delaminating the whole screen :sleep:

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Linear sharpen 1 for GBA perhaps? I didn't try that one yet for GBA mode, because I'm having "delamination" problems due to being confused about where the current pixel is.

I can write a hardware emulator which produces the exact same results as the real hardware (other than the edges), yet I can't figure out how to get good results without delaminating the whole screen :sleep:
That sounds good to me.

Reactions: ElderC and Sono

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Same here, I don't personally see any point in playing games stretched to fill the screen in the wrong aspect ratio, and GBA widescreen codes probably don't exist due to the difficulty-to-impossibility of making 2D games display in widescreen, so that's all it'd be.

Reactions: Sono

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
@Mikitok You can delete sdmc:/luma/sysmodules/TwlBg.cxi to disable any custom filter patterns you've installed. Or you can disable external firms/sysmodules in Luma3DS itself which will disable your custom TwlBg.cxi from being loaded if you still want to have it around.

Ambidextrose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You said it's possible to remap buttons, right? Have you tried setting GBA buttons to Y and B instead of B and A? That was one of my main gripes for playing GBA games on the 3DS.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
You said it's possible to remap buttons, right? Have you tried setting GBA buttons to Y and B instead of B and A? That was one of my main gripes for playing GBA games on the 3DS.

Ohh, that's the easiest patch possible, I can do that in the patcher without making the button remap trainer first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol