Understanding eSIM

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I watched this video:

So an eSIM is either a cellular app you download or buy a wireless (WiFi?) plan from a provider, is that right? Physical Sim cards have become an inconvenience now somehow?

Apple got rid of the headphone jack, and now the Sim card, I wonder what they'll remove next... Internal storage (except for the system & updates) and force users to use cloud storage only??

I feel like an old timer feeling lost.

Reactions: ov3rkill

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a Attempt to have fully sealed Devices. Notice that Headphone Jacks and now MicroSD Card Storage are going away. Next will be SIM Cards, and Charging Ports. That way People can be Idiots and drop their Phones into Sand and Water like Idiots.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don’t care about actual SIMs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I use them so it matters to me.
I think its just a way to push locking into carriers.
It is. They just keep on removing options/features and dictate how we use the phone.
Apple wasn't even the first to use eSIM and first used it in the Apple Watch a year prior to introducing it into iPhone in 2018 and only now with iPhone 14 are they getting rid of the SIM all together. eSIM is not new, it's a 6 year old technology at this point
Fair enough, but Apple is well known for removing features or not even adding them (SD card support).

I use a classic-style Nokia cell phone and an Android (Samsung) so certainly have no plans of using/forcing myself to change to this "option."

Reactions: ZipMartin

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I read the U.K. has banned locked phone providers so it's a good thing countries are slowly breaking away from being chained up.

eSIM sounds a very bad idea, imo
Yep the U.K has banned locked phones. Phones also phones must have a sim card that is why Apple is having to sell the new IPhone's with a sim tray here.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I use them so it matters to me.
That's fair. I've always found them to be annoying when I was in the business of selling smartphones. eSIMs seem like they could be easier to work with. I honestly doubt most end users will even notice the change or even care that it did change. From what's being described, they actually look easier to work with when setting up for a carrier.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Kind of a tech guy here. Never had a eSIM phone before, but afaik it's just a built-in SIM card that, in some phones, can probably just be "downloaded" to replace it and switch carriers. It can also be used with a regular "real" SIM card for two phone numbers if the phone has a SIM slot.

Reactions: ZipMartin

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly doubt most end users will even notice the change or even care that it did change. From what's being described, they actually look easier to work with when setting up for a carrier.
With smartphones it may eventually be convenient and easy to use, but brick phones, this isn't a thing.

Locking customers to how they want us to use it, it's giving up freedom of choice and options.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: