Hacking Unhack my wii

MaGosT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, i been searching around the forums to find a virgin guide but without success..

So i started hacking my wii way back when we had x3 cd-backup speed and applied cioscorp then. I cant remember wether bootmii came before this or after but i made a nand backup with its release. So i might have a nand with just bootmii and the homebrew channel, in that case i could revert to that and simply erase the homebrew channel...

Atm im on 4.2 with alot of wads on the sd-card which i would have to xfer to the and remove via wad-manager to get rid of the tickets aswell.. or can i just remove the sdcard and clear the tickets?

Basicly, i want a "clean" wii and i doubt ill get that by simply updating to 4.3, this due to me quitting piracy completly but dont want to lose my savefiles...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Absolutely "clean" is pretty hard to get. I've heard a story of someone getting rid of just about everything before sending it to nintendo for repairs, but they still charged him for having homebrew installed. Suffice to say there will always be traces*.

Still...the best way to undo wad installations is to use wad manager, select the previously installed wad and then choose uninstall. This'll get rid of the tickets as well (to my knowledge, an update won't delete tickets. I don't think the "format wii memory" does that either, but this is a wild guess).

Restoring the previous nand is probably the best bet to remove as much as possible. And yes, as bazamuffin says: you can use a savegame manager to back up your savegames.

Lemme think...

1. use savegame manager gx to back up your savegames (and miis?) to your SD card.
2. use bootmii to roll back to your oldest nand backup
3. use savegame manager gx to restore your savegames (and miis). You might need to have to install a recent cIOS for that to work.
4. use syscheck to see if you have cIOScorped IOS'es on your system.
5. if you do, either use a program like modmii to get the clean versions of those IOS, or just update to the latest version.
6. if you used modmii and had to install a cIOS at this point, remove that cIOS now.
7. if you still have the HBC (the latest version doesn't get deleted with a 4.3 update), remove that now like any other channel.

Keep in mind that this is needlessly complicated for everyday use. Just updating to 4.3 will remove pretty much everything (except a recent HBC). I doubt a few tickets will make that much of a deal.

*okay, "always" may be a big word...but it'll take more than just erasing things

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Recommending Bootmii IOS to write a NAND dump instead of Bootmii Boot2?
Does the "Profit!" part happen when something goes wrong and people have to pay you to fix it?

MaGosT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
DeadlyFoez said:
http://gbatemp.net/t279750-ohneswanzenegger

^^ that is the best way to remove ALL traces of homebrew. You must have ONLY Bootmii IOS installed, no bootmii boot2. Have punes app build you a nand dump and then flash it to your wii with bootmii IOS.

Profit!

Sounds quite scary, and i dont know any measures of removing the boot2 apart from 4.1-4.2 update..

so by providing a nand of my wii for that program and typing 4.3E ill get a "stock" 4.3E wii with my bad blocks in mind and all custom created stuff removed? Just leaving the modified boot2?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DeadlyFoez said:
I must admit I have thought about this as well (more precisely I was thinking of "that one program I can't remember the name of"). However, as this is not the sort of program you often use, you can only go by the reputation of the author as to whether it actually does what it's supposed to.

For the record: you can go by the reputation of the author. Easily.
smile.gif

What I do not understand is why you recommend doing any cleaning up before using the program. It strikes to me about equally important as emptying your recycle bin before reformatting your hard disk.
But like I said...I haven't used the program myself, so I can't really comment (and I do know that "just" reformatting your PC doesn't mean your data is gone forever).

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bazamuffin said:
@tueidj, why does your Avatar look like the lovechild of Xflak and DeadlyFoez?
I'm trying to make it breed with giantpune's sexy avatar and produce twins that I will name XDeadlyPune and GiantFloez.

kamala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why same people fighting each other all brutes!

Ask question Star Wars guy with wii in hand. He Most intelligent man on World

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
Recommending Bootmii IOS to write a NAND dump instead of Bootmii Boot2?
Does the "Profit!" part happen when something goes wrong and people have to pay you to fix it?
For someone to remove ALL traces of homebrew, that is what someone would need to do.

If you were to try to remove all traces and use punes app to make a virgin nand for you, but then you have bootmii boot2 installed... Bootmii boot2 is STILL a trace of homebrew. You can't just go and run an exploit to run the hackmii installer to uninstall bootmii boot2, because the hackmii installer will also leave traces. So the only way to flash on a homebrew free nand image (like what punes app makes) and to make sure that there are no traces afterwards of ANY HOMEBREW AT ALL is to flash it with bootmii IOS.

I have flashed a nand literally hundreds of times with bootmii IOS and have NEVER EVER had it fail or mess up on me.

Now, this is not saying that this is all that the OP wanted to do, but I was more like responding to Wever's post.

QUOTEWhat I do not understand is why you recommend doing any cleaning up before using the program. It strikes to me about equally important as emptying your recycle bin before reformatting your hard disk.
But like I said...I haven't used the program myself, so I can't really comment (and I do know that "just" reformatting your PC doesn't mean your data is gone forever).
The only reason why I would even recommend this is for someone who wants to remove all traces. For whatever their reason may be (ie. sending to N for repair, selling to someone, or they just want to be legit), before all traces can be gone completely, you have to remove bootmii from boot2 before flashing the nand image.

The nand does not work in the same sense as formatting the hard drive, but even with comex's nand formatter it does not touch boot1 or the boot2 section of the nand, so bootmii boot2 would still be installed.... and to remove it afterwards you'd need to run and exploit -> hackmii installer -> blah blah blah..... I already explained it up above.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've flashed my NAND using Bootmii Boot2 probably about 20 times... and it's failed about 4 of those, mostly just by locking up during the restore process. Other times the verification has failed. Using various Sandisk cards each time, not some el cheapo rubbish.

Let's think this through properly... The best way to do it would be for Bootmii Boot2 to flash the nand dump, verify that it's OK and then remove itself. It used to be impossible to make MINI overwrite boot2, but this restriction was lifted. Somebody just needs to write an app to do it.

MaGosT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I pm:ed giantpune,
"Hey!
I saw ur nand tools and they seem outright perfect.. what im wondering is however if i could use the nand extract to get my savefiles, and then the ohneswanzenegger to create a stock nand and in a 2nd step add my savefiles again.

Also, i bought 2 VC titles back when the wii released and i guess my ownership would perish unless i do some tinkering with that aswell?

Basicly i want to go back to stock wii without losing my legit content.. would that be possible with ur tools? "

See if i can achieve that
tongue.gif

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I did not insult you at all. Sorry, but you misread things. I actually even gave you props for something funny you said.

Well, from my experience, I've only had bootmii mess up on me 1 time, and it was from the bootmii included with hackmii v0.7, even that was just a graphical error.

Whatever, your entitled to your opinion with your experiences.

QUOTE said:
The best way to do it would be for Bootmii Boot2 to flash the nand dump, verify that it's OK and then remove itself. It used to be impossible to make MINI overwrite boot2, but this restriction was lifted (I'm sure you knew that, being such an expert and all). Somebody just needs to write an app to do it.
Funny, I did know that. Marcan or bushing had said that to me a while ago when I had asked them some questions about some things.

But bootmii's restore mii does not touch blocks 0-7, so how does it remove itself? Sure, a mini app to clean out bootmii from boot2 would be a smarter solution, but until someone makes that app then the way I suggested is the way to go.

The whole point of this is not to talk about what an app could do if someone created it, but instead lets talk about what is currently available.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
I've flashed my NAND using Bootmii Boot2 probably about 20 times... and it's failed about 4 of those, mostly just by locking up during the restore process. Other times the verification has failed. Using various Sandisk cards each time, not some el cheapo rubbish.

Let's think this through properly... The best way to do it would be for Bootmii Boot2 to flash the nand dump, verify that it's OK and then remove itself. It used to be impossible to make MINI overwrite boot2, but this restriction was lifted. Somebody just needs to write an app to do it.
Hey man. I sent you a PM asking about what you know. You have not answered my PM or in this thread. So what do you REALLY know. Obviously bootmii is not programmed to ever remove itself.

I'd like to find a safe way for ppl to virginize their wii without the possibility of bricking their wii. Before punes app, the only way was comex's nand formatter, and that was VERY buggy. So please speak up if you know something that is CURRENTLY available. Like I said, lets not talk about hypothetical apps that do not exist, but instead lets talk about what is currently available.

If you know a better way for end users then please let us know. There are many people who want to send their wii's to N but are afraid to because they got homebrew on their nand.

I know that I have given directions for 20+ people to run comex's nand formatter on their wii and it has never failed, albeit it is very sketchy to do and there is soooo many chances for failure, but doing punes process is most likely the safest way AT THE MOMENT!!!

I have done endless nand formats and restores using bootmii, using an infectus, and every other trick in the book and I have ALWAYS been successful.

Please explain the situations where bootmii has failed on you. You are obviously one of the few to actually complain about it while everyone else in the world has not had any big problems. There has been a few small bugs with bootmii, but everyone (even noobs) have been able to work around and make happen what they desire to make happen.

As we all know TT is not known for having buggy releases. They may have a small bug every once in a while, but they are on top of their shit and they know things more than ANYONE else...even N.

Funny, I asked you in this thread, I sent you a PM, but still you did not answer in a reasonable amount of time. Please don't try to start trouble just bc you can. You are better than that.

Whats even more funny is that I have repaired well over 200 wii's. All of them are different for what I have to do for the repair. Not ONCE have I had an issue with bootmii besides graphical glitches. And this is not me with just my wii alone, but so many other peoples wii's. I have used the same SD card every time.

If you are having prominent issues then it is most likely your SD card bc I have tested everything else out in every other manner.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly making you system a virgin is useless. just full bick the system making sure you've removed bootmii or preloader and I'm betting nintendo will never know. If not for the fact my other one isn't under warranty I'd have it sent in.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeadlyTwitter said:
Ok folks. I am offering a 100 Grand to anyone who gives me Tuiedj's, megazig's, and omega191's addresses. I will put it in escrow.
Even better, I offer 2x 100 Grand for anyone who hunts these fuckers down themselves and delivers me their heads.
And you're wondering why I don't waste my time answering you?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
DeadlyTwitter said:
Ok folks. I am offering a 100 Grand to anyone who gives me Tuiedj's, megazig's, and omega191's addresses. I will put it in escrow.
Even better, I offer 2x 100 Grand for anyone who hunts these fuckers down themselves and delivers me their heads.
And you're wondering why I don't waste my time answering you?
LMFAO.

So any takers? Like I said, I will give a 100 grand and that can do a lot of good for ppl in need.
biggrin.gif

I'm glad to see that you can read, but can I remove my drunken tweets now?

Oh yeah, this is your excuse for not having a good answer. LMFAO.

Funny, you don't 'waste' your time because you don't have a good answer, even to a reasonable question, you still don't have a good answer besides some hypothetical app that you will not 'waste' your time to make. Hilarious. Any more excuses?

Seriously, even before my 'drunken tweets', I asked you some questions and you did not answer them. Me an many others would like to know how virginizing a wii without traces of homebrew can be easily accomplished besides doing like I had said. You seem to know more than me, so please speak up. There are many people interested... not just me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3