Uninstalling preinstalled programs

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not that expensive and it's actually useful so I don't see problem dropping few euros in that general direction for easier and legit access to program. It's not like we are talking about hundreds of euros programs here.

This is also why I bought Nexus, for good - vanilla android experience, I really don't like some Yahoo stocks running in background with absolutely no reason.

Because I'm clearly made of money that I can throw around :rolleyes:

Reactions: RevPokemon

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loving the hypocrisy here
Its perfectly to fine to pirate 3ds, wii, xbox, pc, ect... games and pc apps
But god forbid you mention pirating ios and android apps and you are treated like scum :rolleyes:

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, right. Because they are insanely expensive to begin with...

Pleng Try reading my posts next time, before assuming jobless people like me has all the money to freely spend. Maybe you can find out why I can't get the pro versions right now on post 41:rolleyes: . Besides, the free versions of the aforementioned apps suck because they don't do anything unless you pay, in their free forms, they don't do anything useful.:lol: Don't call people out on that, that's not your job.

But god forbid you mention pirating ios and android apps and you are treated like scum :rolleyes:
Joe88 Just ignore him, he just loves calling people out because, reasons. White knights always act like that. Download ROMs and no one bats an eye, download pirated apps and everyone loses their minds. Oh no, not Android and IOS apps!!

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I agree 100% about that, plus if you really were a antipiracy supporter then why are you part of gbatemp?

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I agree 100% about that, plus if you really were a antipiracy supporter then why are you part of gbatemp?

White knights always stick together in hoards, those that are, let themselves be known. What people download, is their own damn business and not sycophants' job to interrogate, and not Pleng's or anyone's. Android is very open and one can do whatever they want with it.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
White knights always stick together in hoards, those that are, let themselves be known. What people download, is their own damn business and not sycophants' job to interrogate, and not Pleng's or anyone's. Android is very open and one can do whatever they want with it.
That's why I love android os as it is very opened up ended and are much more relaxed in their rules (compare app store to play store and see what I mean)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why I love android os as it is very opened up ended and are much more relaxed in their rules (compare app store to play store and see what I mean)

Haters gonna hate I suppose. Not my problem what others like him think lol. All I can ask our fellow members above is, who the hell cares?

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haters gonna hate I suppose. Not my problem what others like him think lol.
To be honest most people who are against the right for file sharing and what not work for the companies and groups like MPAA or Riaa. Most of the general public either doesn't care or is supportive of sharing.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest most people who are against the right for file sharing and what not work for the companies and groups like MPAA or Riaa. Most of the general public either doesn't care or is supportive of sharing.

As long as no links are posted, who the hell cares what these people think? Android programmers don't seem to care much lol, a much better OS than IOS in my opinion, easier to use and install apps on.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as no links are posted, who the hell cares what these people think? Android programmers don't seem to care much lol, a much better OS than IOS in my opinion, easier to use and install apps on.

Plus many good reputable devs release their apps via direct apk download due to reasons such as their content (towelroot or tubemate).

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I don't have any particular position on piracy, but I figure going out of your way to pirate an app that only costs a couple of quid seems like more hassle than it's worth. If you're happy with doing it then fine. But I don't buy the argument "I can't afford it"... if you've got money to spend on phones and video game consoles then I find it hard to believe that you can't spend a few quid on a pro version of an app. To me it just seems like more hassle than it's worth.

Reactions: Mario92

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My God, this thread has devolved to such a point that reading it gave me cancer...

Preinstalled apps you can't remove are "system" apps. Instead of being installed in the usual place, they have .apk (and potentially .odex) files stored in the "/system/app" or "/system/priv-app" directories.

To actually remove the apps to try and gain back some space, you need to delete the .apk files from those directories. Potential issues you will come across are that your system partition is generally mounted as read-only, so you have to do a remount of the partition before you can do anything. By default, I don't think you have the permissions to modify the .apk files as the local user. In either case, you need to root the device to overcome that.

Kicker is, though, is that system apps are stored on your SYSTEM partition (the part that holds the OS), and not your DATA partition (the part that holds all of your personal files, settings, customizations, and apps). So really, deleting the system apps won't actually free up any usable space for you. Unless, of course, you make a habit of saving your files to the system partition.

Further, I believe the free version of Titanium Backup does allow you to backup and uninstall system apps. I used it for a long time before I decided to get the "pro" version. All it does is speed up the operations and allow for "freezing," which as far as I can tell just disables the app (maybe it can do it to ones you wouldn't get the option to normally? IDK).

Finally, those RAM cleaning apps are always going to be able to free a ton of RAM in Android because of how memory allocation and the app lifecycle works. Killing apps in this manner is absolutely the worst thing you could ever do, and will likely just make your device run slower at the end of the day.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have any particular position on piracy, but I figure going out of your way to pirate an app that only costs a couple of quid seems like more hassle than it's worth. If you're happy with doing it then fine. But I don't buy the argument "I can't afford it"... if you've got money to spend on phones and video game consoles then I find it hard to believe that you can't spend a few quid on a pro version of an app. To me it just seems like more hassle than it's worth.

Oh don't give me that. With all due respect, I didn't actually buy the tablet, it was a Christmas gift that I hinted around to having my brother get me, so, that too is an invalid argument. If I don't have the money for a tablet, I don't have money for apps.:P Well, seeing as I a very small amount in my bank account from being jobless, there is no way in hell I could get a Nexus 7 on my own, so naturally it was a gift, and as such, apps are something I cannot afford. Why is that so hard to understand. Only those who have experienced unemployment would ever truly be able to understand that situation.:rolleyes:

And finding the apps isn't really all that hard to find and install.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland

I didn't mean to judge anybody, but again difference is over 40€ game vs 5€ super useful application. Then situation becomes like Pleng also said, pretty much more of an hasshle and there's less excuses to pirating. Also I haven't pirated one single game since I got steady job so I don't know would you call it hypocrisy, but I know that some are in situation they simply can't afford stuff so even that 5€ becomes investment instead of pocket money as that 5€ could be couple days money for food.

My God, this thread has devolved to such a point that reading it gave me cancer...

Preinstalled apps you can't remove are "system" apps. Instead of being installed in the usual place, they have .apk (and potentially .odex) files stored in the "/system/app" or "/system/priv-app" directories.

To actually remove the apps to try and gain back some space, you need to delete the .apk files from those directories. Potential issues you will come across are that your system partition is generally mounted as read-only, so you have to do a remount of the partition before you can do anything. By default, I don't think you have the permissions to modify the .apk files as the local user. In either case, you need to root the device to overcome that.

Finally, those RAM cleaning apps are always going to be able to free a ton of RAM in Android because of how memory allocation and the app lifecycle works. Killing apps in this manner is absolutely the worst thing you could ever do, and will likely just make your device run slower at the end of the day.

Most of those bloatware apps could easily be installed as regular apps. I hate how they force them on people by putting them as system apps.

I remember RAM cleaners being thing in 90's as well. They did indeed free up RAM, but overall performance of machine got way down when it had to put stuff back there and I remember losing one empty CD because that application emtied RAM while burning software was using it. Funny how they have come back when everybody knew that they were trash back then.
Cleaners and antivirus software seem to be mostly placebo bloatware on android. I accidently said I have rooted phone when my carrier called me to make sure I have best contract with them and he wouldn't shut up that I needed that F-secure on my phone to slow it down.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cant you unroot it when you need warranty? i did with my note 3, i guess if it wouldnt boot up that would be a problem though.
Warranty would depend on your company of service and maker but it depends on what they want. But you are theoretically correct however as long as you don't f it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Only 666 dollars for 24TBs lol