Unity is merging with a company that has a history of including malware in their software

Unity_2021.svg.png

Given that a game engine is the basis--the foundation--of a video game, it's something that both developers and players should find reliable and trustworthy; which is why many are concerned over Unity Software's new merger, with a company that has a track record of bundling malware and adware into their software installations. IronSource has been acquired by Unity for $4.4 billion, which further adds to the company's repertoire, after having bought visual effects studio Weta Digital late last year for $1.6 billion.

IronSource specializes in app monetization, usually advertisements, but they're also known throughout the tech world for having bundled sketchy downloads within their software. They were responsible for creating InstallCore, an open source SDK that served as a "cross-platform installer creation tool and ad-delivery platform" that packaged additional installers for software like RegClean Pro, DriverSupport and other toolbars, to the point that it was classified by a potentially unwanted application by antivirus software like Windows Defender and MalwareBytes, and was even referred to as full-on malware or a trojan. InstallCore was discontinued following the classification and controversy.

That isn't the only controversy that IronSource is behind, either; in 2015, Ben Edelman, an economist for web experiences, documented the insidious nature of InstallCore's programs, detailing another one of their releases, a fake Windows Snapchat client that installed five different adware programs and Android emulator Bluestacks. Unity's reasoning for the acquisition is to assist game developers with monetization, marketing, analytics, and discovery.

Our vision is to provide creators with a powerful, flexible engine that they can realize their visions through - quickly and beautifully - while introducing the tools that help them learn and better understand their audiences, helping them to more quickly iterate and improve to build a robust and scalable business from. As we move closer to this vision today, we couldn’t be more excited about bringing ironSource into the Unity family.

:arrow: Source

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
People in the comments acting like Unity is going to start bundling malware with any game built in their engine. Sure they could do that, but why would they spend $1.6 billion to do that? It's not like they'd want to tarnish the Unity brand either by trying to make a quick buck with malware. They aren't the dominant engine but their market share is nothing to scoff at either, they wouldn't just throw all that away. The acquisition is most likely to obtain technology that will benefit their Unity Ads division, which is something that has existed for years and is mostly used in mobile games.
https://unity.com/solutions/unity-ads

Advertising is a very lucrative industry. In 2021 alone mobile game ads generated more than $100 billion. It is also a very complex industry however, Google and Facebook hire thousands of data scientists to fine tune their algorithms and a lot of those data scientists are earning well over $1 million a year. It is unsurprising that Unity would choose to acquire a big adware company rather than try to use homegrown tech which takes time to develop.
I highly doubt they'll add outright malware to the engine, but I believe they're definitely going to add in tools for developers to bundle other software with their games. Maybe not a dozen browser toolbars but I'm confident some devs using the unity engine will want to try generating revenue by offering to bundle some crapware (epic games launcher, advertising browser add-ons, MacAffee/Norton) into their games.
To say nothing of potentially more in-game ads, whether it'll be on mobile or consoles/PC.

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Welp, time to go to Blender for video game making.
blender is just 3d software, you can't make an full on game with it.

People in the comments acting like Unity is going to start bundling malware with any game built in their engine. Sure they could do that, but why would they spend $1.6 billion to do that? It's not like they'd want to tarnish the Unity brand either by trying to make a quick buck with malware. They aren't the dominant engine but their market share is nothing to scoff at either, they wouldn't just throw all that away. The acquisition is most likely to obtain technology that will benefit their Unity Ads division, which is something that has existed for years and is mostly used in mobile games.

Advertising is a very lucrative industry. In 2021 alone mobile game ads generated more than $100 billion. It is also a very complex industry however, Google and Facebook hire thousands of data scientists to fine tune their algorithms and a lot of those data scientists are earning well over $1 million a year. It is unsurprising that Unity would choose to acquire a big adware company rather than try to use homegrown tech which takes time to develop.
but this is gbatemp! i dont want reasoning! i want to be mad!

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So there is a more nuanced take to this, and it's that some very good devs are gonna have their games irrationally smeared because they use Unity after this merger, even before anything takes place. That doesn't however mean that the games themselves are viruses and such.

This is a bad merge, don't get me wrong. But I love indie games and I'd hate to see "Made in Unity" to become an even worse brand and stigma than it already is for indie devs.

objectively correct post, thank you for making it

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
What is Godot?
It is an open source engine, I switched for another reason at the time (Opera turning GameMaker into a subscription service), but I'm seeing a lot of people doing the same today because of the current situation with Unity. I believe it won't be a hard transition for most people, Godot nowadays has support for C# and a guide for those who are coming from Unity.

Pokepicker

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Can't wait until I buy a triple A release and have to manually unselect a dozen toolbars before I can even decide where to install the actual game.

You think you’ll be so lucky as to even have a choice?

I can’t wait for my PC to be infected by some Chinese spyware, without my knowledge.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
lol unity pretty much is malware except for a very few selection of games. the shovelware made with this crap is off the scale. it's worse than the wii era so i could not give 2 fucks if it dissapeared and never came back it would make my discovery queue usable again :P

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Surely nothing nefarious is afoot. Not in an industry for which its customers are little more than cattle.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wanted to download the Sonic manía plus android versión cuz i have Netflix but my phone isnt compatible
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    @The Real Jdbye you seem confused, nes remix 2 had nes open
  • Dumpflam @ Dumpflam:
    guys does anyone know anything about usbloadergx? i have a question. (https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-use-sd-and-thumb-drive-at-the-same-time-usbloadergx.655497/)
    oh right forgot about that
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    you can use both at the same time if the sd is dedicated for gamecube games
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    you can't do that the other way around
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nowdays, my Samsung phone holds most my music on a 512gb micro sd. I Bluetooth to my earbuds, BT speaker, or to my car stereo from my phone. I still have a iPod Nano, but have not used in years.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i only play music on yt
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I download very few songs
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I download very few songs