Unity to amend install fee policy after community backlash

7aa872AG.jpg

Following a large community backlash after the popular game engine creator Unity announced plans for it to charge a "per install" fee; the company has apologised for "confusion" surrounding the plans and have stated that they will be "making changes to the policy" going forward.

For those unfamiliar - a week ago, Unity announced plans for new fees based on game installs. In practice, the proposed changes would effectively cost game publishers up to $0.20 every single time a game is installed or even reinstalled by a user. But unsurprisingly these plans were met with controversy and disdain from those developers using the platform as well as the community at large, with many game creators speaking out on social media with some even going as far as to announce plans to move over to competing game engine platforms.

Today, Unity took to X/Twitter with an apology and said that there was a "confusion" surrounding the plans and that they would be making adjustments to the policy after feedback from the community.

:arrow: Source

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
"We apologize for the confusion and angst the runtime fee policy we announced on Tuesday caused" as if the users somehow misunderstood the new licensing policy, or as if it didn't add bogus fees. "Stop whining like a bunch of babies, we'll change it. But you're being really bitchy about it, you know."

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The damage is already done. Who in their right mind would ever feel comfortable investing so much and essentially making yourself reliant and dependent on such an untrustworthy organisation. They will try this again.

The CEO, infant the board even should be black listed from any future employment. How can you be this out of touch with any demographic, let alone sit in such a high position.

The damage control is disgusting also. Everybody else's fault, I genuinely believe they feel this way too. So egotistical.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to repeat what I thought before last time this topic came up here:

The CEO thought 'I'm going to sell my stock, then I'll tank the value, and I'll get away with a fortune while everyone else suffers.'

What he didn't expect was people actually LOOK AT INDIVIDUAL'S STOCK TRANSFERS. So he's now making a backtrack to save his own ass.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Even if they fell on their knees and really apologized, who in their right mind would use Unity for their next project?
Exactly lol

What does Unity that is SO essential you can't use an alternative. Even if you don't like UE, there's Godot.

I guess only big studios that were already paying their fees would keep using it ?

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to repeat what I thought before last time this topic came up here:

The CEO thought 'I'm going to sell my stock, then I'll tank the value, and I'll get away with a fortune while everyone else suffers.'

What he didn't expect was people actually LOOK AT INDIVIDUAL'S STOCK TRANSFERS. So he's now making a backtrack to save his own ass.
He was CEO of EA during the years it was voted Worst Company in the World. What do you expect? His existence apparently is to destroy everything he touches.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Exactly lol

What does Unity that is SO essential you can't use an alternative. Even if you don't like UE, there's Godot.

I guess only big studios that were already paying their fees would keep using it ?
The biggest issue is that it applied to games you had already released. Potentially even games you had sold the rights to, which you would now be liable for the per install fee (at least according to claims I read, I haven't looked that closely).

Switching is fine, but you need to learn the new engine and convert everything. Though if godot has a unity to godot importer that does most of the work, then it's not so bad.

Unity has to stem the flow, or it will be irrelevant.

Reactions: FFTW

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto