Homebrew Emulator [UNOFFICIAL] NeoCD-Libretro (SNK NeoGeo CD) emulator core for the Wii, powered by RetroArch

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
OP
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
1680897622329.png

Since NeoCD for RetroArch is not officially avaliable for our dear Nintendo Wii within nightly builds, i decided to try to compile NeoCD-Libretro for Wii by myself, i had to change a little bit of the actual source code for be able to run on the Wii, but here it is.

NeoCD-Libretro for the Nintendo Wii

Current version: v0.1.1-2070f52-TEST - 08/04/2023
Compiled to latest upstream of NeoCD-Libretro until git 2070f52 - http://github.com/libretro/neocd_libretro/commit/2070f52/
This UNOFFICIAL core was compiled with latest RA Wii v1.15.0
In order for be able to run the NGCD games on this NeoCD port for Wii, you NEED to put these BIOS files on [root_device]:/retroarch/system/neocd/ :

DescriptionFilenameSHA1
Front Loader BIOSneocd_f.roma5f4a7a627b3083c979f6ebe1fabc5d2df6d083b
Front Loader BIOS (SMKDAN 0.7b DEC 2010)neocd_sf.rom4a94719ee5d0e3f2b981498f70efc1b8f1cef325
Top Loader BIOSneocd_t.romcc92b54a18a8bff6e595aabe8e5c360ba9e62eb5
Top Loader BIOS (SMKDAN 0.7b DEC 2010)neocd_st.rom19729b51bdab60c42aafef6e20ea9234c7eb8410
CDZ BIOSneocd_z.romb0f1c4fa8d4492a04431805f6537138b842b549f
CDZ BIOS (SMKDAN 0.7b DEC 2010)neocd_sz.rom6a947457031dd3a702a296862446d7485aa89dbb
Front Loader BIOS (MAME)front-sp1.bin53bc1f283cdf00fa2efbb79f2e36d4c8038d743a
Top Loader BIOS (MAME)top-sp1.bin235f4d1d74364415910f73c10ae5482d90b4274f
CDZ BIOS (MAME)neocd.bin7bb26d1e5d1e930515219cb18bcde5b7b23e2eda
Universe BIOS CD 3.3uni-bioscd.rom5142f205912869b673a71480c5828b1eaed782a8

REMINDER: This unofficial core was made as a companion/alternative to the actual NGCD emulator NeoCD RX developed by @niuus, so if you want better speed on NGCD games on Wii or GameCube, please consider using NeoCD RX. This core is only made if you want to play NGCD games on BIN+CUE, or use it with WiiFlow.

Currently, this is a TEST, made by me because i was bored. Please GBAtemp community help me to test this NeoCD unofficial core for RetroArch Wii.

Oh, and if you want the source code of what did I change for be able to compile on Wii, here it is:
https://github.com/saulfabregwiivc/NeoCD-Libretro-Wii/tree/wii-port

This NeoCD-Libretro Wii project is based on @ploggy's attempt/work for implement NeoCD-Libretro on the Wii, so proper credits to him for this. Source: https://github.com/Ploggy/neocd_libretro

Greetings, and happy gaming! :yaywii:
- saulfabreg / saulfabreg Wii VC Project
Post automatically merged:

Screenshots while playing:

Neo-Geo CD Special

ngcdspecial.PNG

Neo Drift Out: New Technology
(see Known bugs below for info about this game on NeoCD)

neodrift.PNG

Ironclad

ironclad.PNG

Crossed Swords II

cswords2.PNG

Known bugs:
  • If you're using CHD files for your Neo-Geo CD games, the music (CDDA tracks) is not working correctly (static audio noises or even no sound). Please consider using CUE+BIN, ISO+WAV+CUE, or ISO+OGG+CUE instead.
  • NGCD emulation in NeoCD-Libretro will be highly impacted on performance (reduced to 22 FPS) if you mess up with some RetroArch Wii settings.
  • Some games have problems for play SFX (sound effects) when in game (Windjammers, Neo Turf Masters).
  • In Neo Drift Out: New Technology the game goes so laggy (has constant slowdowns that are not present on real NGCD hardware, in all platforms, including Windows) most of the time. (Reference: https://github.com/libretro/neocd_libretro/issues/83)
  • In Metal Slug 2 there are sound glitches occasionally if using Front or Top Loader BIOSes, so please use the CDZ BIOS instead for play this game.
  • In Galaxy Fight the raster effects get glitchy when in demo mode, but strangely these work fine when playing.

Attachments

• NeoCD-Libretro-Wii-v0.1.1-2070f52-TEST-saulfabreg.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
Last edited by SaulFabre,

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome stuff man. I will test this and report back.

So far only tested Bust-A-Move and works 100% and saving/loading works. This is also working through WFL plugin. I'll test more tonight with heavier games. @SaulFabre , does this support extracted image format like what is used for NeoCDRX? I don't believe it does (unsuccessful in my attempts) but just wanted confirmation.

Either way, very cool WFL has a working Neo CD plugin. Beautiful work my friend.

Last edited by RunningSnakes,
  • Love
Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
@SaulFabre , does this support extracted image format like what is used for NeoCDRX?
@RunningSnakes Nope, sorry :P
It only supports BIN+CUE, ISO+WAV+CUE, and ISO+OGG+CUE.

Quote from README of NeoCD-Libretro:
NeoCD accepts as input a cue sheet file (CUE) or a MAME CHD file. CUE images can be either of "single file" type (CUE, BIN) or "multiple files" type (CUE,ISO,[WAV/FLAC/OGG]).

🎶 Supported audio formats are: Wave (.wav), FLAC (.flac) or Ogg Vorbis (.ogg)

Reactions: RunningSnakes

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, after a few more tests.

Bin/Cue works great. CHD will boot but audio is nothing but scratching/screeching, so unplayable.

The saving/loading takes some time but it works every time. I loaded Xeno Crisis (700mb) bin/cue and framerate is steady 59.4 - 59.5 fps.

Now to try cue/iso/ogg.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hey all,
(also pinging @niuus)

For those wanting to play BIN+CUE games of NeoGeo CD (and maybe CHD), i tried to compile today a Wii version of the NeoCD emulator for Libretro (RetroArch).

In my first tests, it works fine, but you need a Wii Classic Controller for be able to use this emulator correctly.
I have only tested Neo Drift Out - New Technology (Japan) and despite the repentine slowdowns and tiny FPS drops, it works fine.

I had to modify a bit original NeoCD Libretro code for allow me to compile to Wii (basing on the implementation on Wii U), which i will share the source in a few hours.

This is intended to be used along as a companion and/or alternative to NeoCD RX, and also possibly for WiiFlow users that want NeoGeo CD games on their WiiFlow library.

Gonna post the build in a few hours.

Posted the build and source of NeoCD for Wii (RA Wii) here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/unoffic...core-for-the-wii-powered-by-retroarch.630584/
Hi @SaulFabre. You arrived very late to the party with this one. I did a build much before while researching, and even Ploggy did another one a little more than a full month ago, you could have just built his source and credit him, as you copied his changes to your fork without any mention.

Some issues about the core that I have seen over the months: games run at 22fps when you activate some retroarch options. Toggling on/off Bilinear filtering stretches the screen, you need to reload to fix it. Some games are having problems playing sound effects (i.e: Windjammers, Neo Turf Masters). You mention CHD support, yet you failed to disclose that CDDA audio in CHD files is just not working correctly right now (known issue, also reported by Ploggy).

Last edited by niuus,

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
and even Ploggy did another one a little more than a full month ago, you could have just built his source and credit him, as you copied his changes to your fork without any mention.
@niuus
Okay, i didn't even know that @ploggy actually made the changes.
I was experimenting myself to modify the NeoCD-Libretro core for be able to compile on Wii, but looks like my mod is EXACTLY the same like ploggy did. In other words, what i did and i didnt even notice is i've actually copied the changes ploggy did, without even looking at ploggy's code xD
Also, i was trying to do that by myself because i was bored, just for curiosity.
But... it runs pretty well on Wii.

Some issues about the core that I have seen over the months: games run at 22fps when you activate some retroarch options. Toggling on/off Bilinear filtering stretches the screen, you need to reload to fix it. Some games are having problems playing sound effects (i.e: Windjammers, Neo Turf Masters). You mention CHD support, yet you failed to disclose that CDDA audio in CHD files is just not working correctly right now (known issue, also reported by Ploggy).
I will add these to Known Bugs section.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@SaulFabre

I have a request if you have the time.

Is it possible you could compile Sega GX libretro core to make compatible with Wii using this method? (Normal Sega GX, not Sega GX Wide libretro)

This core has been broken on Wii for almost 2 years and an updated Wii libretro core would be very welcome.

If not, not a big deal. Just thought there was no harm asking.

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
@SaulFabre

Is it possible you could compile Sega GX libretro core to make compatible with Wii using this method? (Normal Sega GX, not Sega GX Wide libretro)

This core has been broken on Wii for almost 2 years and an updated Wii libretro core would be very welcome.

Let me try.

@RunningSnakes I have cloned ekeeke's Genesis Plus GX repo from GitHub for take advantage of the latest improvements made to the core. But i will try to consider Libretro's fork also for try to compile Libretro GPGX for Wii.
(Anyways eke-eke also had made a Makefile for libretro, XD)
(Libretro's fork actually had also newest updates from ekeeke)

The core library compiled fine, now i'm compiling the entire dol with the "RetroArch Salamander Wii" module for make it a functional core, i guess.

Gonna post it in your WiiFlow Plugins thread later.

New NeoCD-Libretro Wii version released (v0.1.1-2070f52-TEST).
Downloads in the first post.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
@niuus
Okay, i didn't even know that @ploggy actually made the changes.
I was experimenting myself to modify the NeoCD-Libretro core for be able to compile on Wii, but looks like my mod is EXACTLY the same like ploggy did. In other words, what i did and i didnt even notice is i've actually copied the changes ploggy did, without even looking at ploggy's code xD
Also, i was trying to do that by myself because i was bored, just for curiosity.
Hmmm. Considering you were already asking for a build in 2022, it means you didn't knew how to make one, then went through the complete issues section and even posted in the Neo Drift Out issue, completely skipping his CHD audio report about his Wii and Wii U build reusing his code later just to insert saulfabreg in the zip name and the xml. But why leave him out just for protagonism on a recompilation? LOL.

Anyway, you should at least remove features that aren't usable on the Wii, for a more streamlined experience and alternative.

But... it runs pretty well on Wii.
Hard not to, Fabrice's emulator has been polished over decades, and is the first NGCD emulator ever, AFAIK.

@SaulFabre

Standalone GenesisPlus-GX should be superior to the libretro core in every way, unless there is something I haven't read about before in the forums on a small feature with libretro. Doesn't SS-Retroarch already offer better usability in all cores when compared to nightly retroarch Wii builds?

Last edited by niuus,

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hmmm. Considering you were already asking for a build in 2022, it means you didn't knew how to make one, then went through the complete issues section and even posted in the Neo Drift Out issue, completely skipping his CHD audio report about his Wii and Wii U build reusing his code later just to insert saulfabreg in the zip name and the xml. But why leave him out just for protagonism on a recompilation? LOL.
LOL XD
i made a new recompilation and this time i added @ploggy on the credits of this project for originally attemping to bring NeoCD-Libretro to Wii.
And yeah, i'm aware of CHD audio issue, so i mentioned in Known Bugs section, where i try to say please don't report me that issue.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Standalone GenesisPlus-GX should be superior to the libretro core in every way, unless there is something I haven't read about before in the forums on a small feature with libretro. Doesn't SS-Retroarch already offer better usability in all cores when compared to nightly retroarch Wii builds?
Yes, GX standalone is the very best. The Hexaeco core is outstanding also with great speed and CHD file support for CD games.

As for vanilla RA GX. The only issue is the 1.8.8 core we have available doesn't support per core/console configuration. With newer RA releases starting at 10.1, with a little hex editing, this problem is solved. The libretro Sega GX core has been broken since 1.9.0-1.9.1 which is not a deal breaker since 1.8.8 works just fine other than the cfg issue.

Really just trying to get current with that particular core for WFL plugins pack i keep updated from time to time. There are some users hell bent on using only RA unless there is no other option.

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Yes, GX standalone is the very best. The Hexaeco core is outstanding also with great speed and CHD file support for CD games.

As for vanilla RA GX. The only issue is the 1.8.8 core we have available doesn't support per core/console configuration. With newer RA releases starting at 10.1, with a little hex editing, this problem is solved. The libretro Sega GX core has been broken since 1.9.0-1.9.1 which is not a deal breaker since 1.8.8 works just fine other than the cfg issue.

Really just trying to get current with that particular core for WFL plugins pack i keep updated from time to time. There are some users hell bent on using only RA unless there is no other option.
About vanilla RA Wii Genesis Plus GX, tell me in the WiiFlow plugins thread about your tests with my updated core of GPGX for RA-Wii ;)
As i said, i tested a little but it seems to work fine :)

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Standalone also does CHD since some years ago. Runs flawless.

So I guess the only thing they want to is per-core configurations for strange configs? Because I don't think overlays are working due to the lack of memory.

antoniotnt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi everyone thanks again for keeping our wii alive. I wanted to know how the plugin for this emulator works, I mean in the .ini file which magic number should I use? Thank you.

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hi everyone thanks again for keeping our wii alive. I wanted to know how the plugin for this emulator works, I mean in the .ini file which magic number should I use? Thank you.
Maybe @cheloruiz79 or @RunningSnakes can help you with a .ini file for my NeoCD-Libretro Wii core? I don't use WiiFlow so i can't help with that :/

cheloruiz79

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I put the magic number randomly since I don't know how it is officially put. @RunningSnakes he can help you with that, he knows a lot thanks to him, I have everything in order

Attachments

• neocd wiiflow plugin.rar
    1.3 MB · Views: 36

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by RunningSnakes,

antoniotnt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'll upload the Neo CD plugin in a short while.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/fnaz0skc1pwg4/NEO+CD+WFL

Neo CD plugin and a few added updates. Also a cover set and complete plugin setup (carts, snaps) that our good friend @matto21 shared with me some time ago.
Thank you. I wanted to ask another thing, my roms have .bin and .cue format but they have a folder with .mp3 audios, do I have to convert them to .ogg? because the games are without audio. Thank you.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good question. I believe it looks for cue/iso with .ogg audio. But after doing a lot of converting files myself, my .cue files were missing all the audio information needed.

I thought about manually adding the information to the .cue, but the internet is available.

If your .cue fIles only show Track01, then use the internet. If they show multiple Tracks, yes convert to .ogg.

Reactions: cheloruiz79

antoniotnt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Good question. I believe it looks for cue/iso with .ogg audio. But after doing a lot of converting files myself, my .cue files were missing all the audio information needed.

I thought about manually adding the information to the .cue, but the internet is available.

If your .cue fIles only show Track01, then use the internet. If they show multiple Tracks, yes convert to .ogg.
There are .cue and .bin files then other files like "font_00.prg" ".spr - .pat - .pcm - ipl.txt etc..." then it has an mp3 folder with all the tracks, like track02.mp3 , track03.mp3 etc...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup