[UPDATE] Luma3DS v10.0 released

luma_logo.png

It took a good while to be released, but it's finally here: Luma3DS, the popular custom firmware for the Nintendo 3DS, has just received a major update!

Version 10.0 introduces several new features, like an NTP client which can be used to sync your clock via Google's time servers (works with GodMode9 too!), CTRPF-AR code support for the built-in cheat engine, blue light filters with five different light reduction levels (night owls, rejoice!) and a pm service reimplementation made by @TuxSH. There are also improvements and bugfixes all across the board, of course: a higher number of cheats can be enabled at the same time, the debugger received a ton of new functions and features (some thanks to the previously mentioned sysmodule reimplementation), EmuNAND options will be automatically hidden if none can be found on the SD card and a few crashes and oddities have been resolved.

It's worth mentioning that v10.0 comes bundled with the newly released Homebrew Menu v2.1.0 too, which also has its own set of noteworthy additions: for example, an integrated 3dslink server that can be used to send .3dsx homebrew between two consoles on the same network (just press X while selecting a homebrew app!)

Here are Luma3DS v10.0 and Homebrew Menu v2.1.0's official changelogs:
Luma3DS v10.0 said:
We know it's been a long time, but here it is:

• New feature: NTP client
    • Located in the "miscellaneous" Rosalina submenu, this fetches the time from time1.google.com (hardcoded IP) by default
    • This sets the config savefile RTC offset 0, hence the displayed by Home Menu will also be the time that Arm9 programs like GM9 will see
    • Consequently, Luma3DS's own Arm9 code will properly set the date and time when modifying or creating new files
  • New feature: blue light filters (thanks to @panicbit, #1065)

• Lots of cheat engine bugfixes and improvements thanks to @piepie62 (multiple PRs), in addition to @tstambaugh92 's bugfixes (#1116, #1117)
    • most CTRPF-AR code types now supported
    • more cheats can be loaded at once
  • New reimplemented sysmodule: pm
    • Number of max. pm:dbg sessions increased for Rosalina usage
    • New pm:dbg commands: GetCurrentAppTitleIdAndPid, DebugNextApplicationByForce, LaunchTitleDebug (mainly for gdbstub usage)
    • Debug restrictions lifted for the gdbstub
    • Service restrictions lifted for Cubic Ninja
  • Lots of gdbstub improvements:
    • Added support for debugging application at their very start (new option in Debugger submenu)
    • Added support for target extended-remote
      • You do not need to select a process to attach to in process list anymore using this, although it still works absolutely fine
      • You will see a nice process list in IDA
      • When launching new processes: only titleId [mediaType [launchFlags]]is supported, and the launched title shouldn't rely on APT and all 3 parameters should be hex-encoded (see e11cc09)
    • Added support for accessing host files (including stdin/stdio/stderr) from target 3DS programs. Support for it has been added in libctru
    • Added support for accessing target SD-card files from the host (remote put, remote get and remote delete)
    • Doubled packet size
    • Many bugfixes
  • Fixed critical bugs in sm: one causing a crash when launching the camera applet when another title was using the camera, another possibly affecting sleep mode

• Fixed a critical bug where Luma3DS's Arm9 code would spam I2C requests, causing some particular commits of popular Arm9 payloads to fail on New3DS units with IPS screens.
    If the issue still arises, put multiple payloads in the folder and use the chainloader menu to work around it

• Reworked build system. Armips is no longer required.

• Always dump errdisp errors to /luma/errdisp.txt

• Upgraded FatFs to R0.13c

• Upgraded I2C driver in Arm9 code

• Fix screens not working on firmlaunch, firmlaunch errors will now be displayed on screen

• Patch 11.8+ NIM-related Process9 to send all-zero key and IV when the UNITINFO patch is enabled (thanks to @luigoalma, #1142)

• Hide EmuNAND options when there is no EmuNAND present on the console

• Fix minor bugs involving DS(i) title autoloading

• Many other bugfixes

• Note: the pm reimplementation currently breaks NTR CFW to some extent (in particular game plugins). The abandoned "NTR CFW" is now unsupported, even if it may work.
    • A solution for future versions is being worked on.
    • It may be possible to change NTR CFW source code for it not to inject itself into pm, since Luma3DS removes svc permission checks anyway, to mitigate the issue. We do not have the time to do that ourselves
    • It is not possible to disable custom pm
In addition, with thanks to @fincs, this release of Luma3DS comes bundled with version 2.1.0 of the Homebrew Menu.
Homebrew Menu v2.1.0 said:
  • Added netsender functionality, for sending homebrew to other 3DSes directly from hbmenu
  • Added Chinese language support
  • Improved Korean and Japanese translations
  • Now displays Wifi strength in status bar
  • Hidden files and dotfiles are now hidden
  • Fixed text rendering in non-JPN/USA/EUR system fonts
  • Fixed positioning of the HOME button icon in New 2DS XL systems
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

However, there is one thing to keep in mind before you head to the Releases page: this version breaks compatibility with NTR CFW. While some functions appear to work fine, like screen streaming, others don't seem to work at all - especially game plugins. A solution is reportedly in the works but, if you need NTR, it may be a good idea to stay on v9.1 in the meantime.

UPDATE: Version v10.0.1 has been released, which includes hotfixes for LayeredFS and N3DS-specific applications not closing properly, as well as previous fixes that have been rolled out silently in the previous days (NTP client not setting date/time properly, process list memory viewer, correct ARM BLX instruction)

:arrow: Source
:arrow: GBAtemp thread

Last edited by RattletraPM,

Darkshadow1997

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
So, in the new update, the microsd management crash is no longer silenced and ntr cheats are broken? I do not understand why these two features are broken as it was perfect in Luma 9.1 but for now I am staying on the old version until bootntr is fixed or silence crash of microsd is back.

AndrewH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
10.0.1 is out now and for me, it has fixed the MicroSD management crash. I can now successfully exit that mode, just as I could in 9.1 and no longer receive the crash.

AndrewH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you still use bootntr selector without any problem's?

I'm sorry, but I never use bootntr to know. Why not try and see? Simply back up the boot.bin for 9.1 and replace it back, if 10.0.1 isn't working anymore?

I was experiencing the crash with Microsd management, which I can confirm is fixed. I also had an issue with the blue light setting not sticking once set, but apparently this by design, so although not desirable, it isn't a bug either.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the last ntr boot selector update was last year sometime. I've had this problem for a while now, but ntr seems to be incredibly unstable on later firmware. sometimes it will be successful, other times it will just freeze the system after it says "success." then, there are other times where it says "success," but when you try the button combo on the home menu, nothing happens. I also get frequent crashes with it. the last update mentions that it's for 11.8 system update, so I just assumed that no new updates meant none were needed.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
just updated. what's odd is that luma updater failed at downloading the newest version, yet it could detect it. I thought it might be due to the new encryption of github, but it was able to detect a new version was there, and I could've sworn that was true of the previous update. it has been a long time since then. anyway, this new update seems to have fixed a problem with twilight menu++ (exiting a gb game by going to exit to launcher). it was fixed using twilight menu++ (the version released a few days ago) on a flash cart, but it still didn't exit correctly using the 3ds sd card. this seems to have fixed it.
you gotta update the updater first. Not sure why the updater didn't prompt you to update itself tho.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you gotta update the updater first. Not sure why the updater didn't prompt you to update itself tho.

thanks, I just updated manually. from what I remember, updating via the updater only downloads and installs the boot.firm . I updated manually with the sd card, but for the ctr NAND, I used a godmode script. the good thing about that is that it also carries over godmode (possibly any firm you have tied to luma on the sd card), and also the boot screen you have (if you have one). I did update the updater afterwards though, just in case I needed it. :)

PedroKeitawa

Trophies
Website
natsunokaze.altervista.org
XP
Country
Italy
What are the reasons one would prefer to use NTR CFW instead of Luma3DS that would prevent one from updating to the latest version? Streaming works, so what else is there that Luma3DS cannot natively do?

Wait you can stream with LUMA?! Is bean a while since last time i check the hb scene.

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to update, but i'm hospitalized in isolation till end august

So nothing else todo then game on, on 9.x Luma
You could run an ftp server on your phone if you have access to one. I've done that before when I didn't have access to a laptop out in the woods.

Elwyndas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was happy to see this new update. The hacked 3DS has become such a nice machine. It's a little miracle. So many things can be done with it. Now blue light reduction! I use it to emulate the Commodore 64 with the new Vice 3DS. Who would have thought that this is possible, holding a C64 in your hands with a virtual keyboard and near perfect emulation of all hardware. And all the other emulators. Thanks to Aurora Wright and all the other contributors we have a treasure that will last a lifetime. Thank you, thank you, thank you, and also Happy Independence Day to you all! May freedom reign forever!

Last edited by Elwyndas,
Reactions: zxr750j and AndrewH

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any news about ntr cfw on the latest latest firmware and luma? it crashes constantly on my system. the last boot selector update was last year, and I read a few posts where people said that it was fixed for 11.9 despite the latest only mentioning 11.8. with no new update, I assumed that there was no need to update it. I really don't remember it ever working for me on 11.9 though. I've kept it on my system just in case there is a way to fix it. I found one post telling me to delete the firmware.bin, since it was no longer needed with luma. that didn't seem to work. it's confusing, because some people say it works; others say it doesn't.

Toady231

Intellectual saviour of the masses
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
any news about ntr cfw on the latest latest firmware and luma? it crashes constantly on my system. the last boot selector update was last year, and I read a few posts where people said that it was fixed for 11.9 despite the latest only mentioning 11.8. with no new update, I assumed that there was no need to update it. I really don't remember it ever working for me on 11.9 though. I've kept it on my system just in case there is a way to fix it. I found one post telling me to delete the firmware.bin, since it was no longer needed with luma. that didn't seem to work. it's confusing, because some people say it works; others say it doesn't.
I use luma 9.1 and km firmware 11.10 and the ntr works for me. Granted you have to use it a couple times to gey it to work but it still works.

I'm just waiting for luma 10 to work with ntr.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
thanks, I just updated manually. from what I remember, updating via the updater only downloads and installs the boot.firm . I updated manually with the sd card, but for the ctr NAND, I used a godmode script. the good thing about that is that it also carries over godmode (possibly any firm you have tied to luma on the sd card), and also the boot screen you have (if you have one). I did update the updater afterwards though, just in case I needed it. :)
Yes, the updater only downloads the boot.firm for luma, (After renaming the current boot.firm to boot.firm.bak, just incase) then puts it into the correct locations on the SD Card (And the SysNand if you want it to)

lordcrew27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Can't access eShop and update 3ds games in the store after updating luma to 10.0. Anybody here also experiencing this and knows a fix?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't access eShop and update 3ds games in the store after updating luma to 10.0. Anybody here also experiencing this and knows a fix?

haven't tried to access the eshop, but as far as updating games, it will say that there's an update for a game regardless of region. if you try downloading an update for a game that isn't from the same region, it will act as though it's downloading/installing, then nothing. it will keep saying that there's an update. you may have to find the update elsewhere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...