[UPDATE] Rumor: "upgraded" Nintendo Switch to launch early next year

Nintendo_Switch_Logo.png

Such rumors have made the news every so often: Nintendo plans a new Switch model. Back in 2019, The Wall Street Journal reported that Nintendo was working on two Switch models: one with enhanced features targeted at avid gamers and the other towards more casual gamers. Later that year, we saw the launch of the Switch Lite but we have yet to see the "enhanced" version. Earlier this year Nintendo said that it has no plans for a new Switch model in 2020. So maybe they have plans for one in 2021? That might be the case according to a new report from Taiwanese newspaper, United Daily News.

According to translations from Resetera and Google translation of the news source, the new Switch model will begin production in Q4 2020, with an expected launch for Q1 2021. The biggest changes to the upgraded model will include improved 'interactivity' and display quality. United Daily News cites its source as numerous hardware manufacturers that work on parts for current Switch models. But as always, take these news with a pinch of salt.

Would you like to see an upgraded Switch model akin to the DSi? Or would you rather have Nintendo's new console compete directly to the PS5 and Xbox Series X?

[UPDATE]

A new report from Bloomberg also claims that Nintendo plans "an upgraded model of its Switch console next year" that will release along with "a lineup of new games".

The report notes that while specifications haven't been finalized, Nintendo is looking to include "more computing power and 4K high-definition graphics" in this upgraded model.

Bloomberg claims its sources are people briefed on Nintendo's strategy but asked not to be identified as it’s private, but its news seems to corroborate that made by United Daily News earlier.

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: UPDATE SOURCE

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
unlike being portable mode only with the switch light being docked only would without a doubt make some games unplayable or render portions largely unavailable that make use of the touchscreen with no easy way to work around say issue

The PSTV also faced this issue, and to this date even with hacks some games are completely unplayable on it due to lacking features (Uncharted: Golden Abyss)

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Still haven't got a Switch, might join late once again. Didn't get a 3DS until the N3DS. 1080p and joycons with no drift issues would be enough for me, upgrade in CPU/GPU power not really a selling point to me since I believe just as with the N3DS very little software will make use of it and everything released will run on the old Switch. Then again if it opens the door for something a bit trickier to emulate that certainly won't be a negative.

Maybe I'm weird but I really feel like technology has reached the point where it doesn't need to get better. I mostly play old 2D games anyway, maybe technology needs to get back to how well it worked then... no loading times and neither computers or consoles needed a fan to run.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It lacks the IR sensor and bar, which is necessary in this game to keep the controller calibrated.
It was necessary because of how shit the Wiimote motion controls were even with the Motion+, and had a tendency to drift a lot over a short amount of time, and even when calibrated it didn't always work correctly. Hopefully it should actually work properly with JoyCons.
In a pinch the IR camera could be used for centering, but it hopefully shouldn't be necessary.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
so now that it's practically confirmed. don't fuck it up this time NINTENDO !
V7i0WAZ.png
Yeah Nintendo! Switch very well might surpass Wii as your best-selling console of all time, but you can't really call it a success unless it impresses Bladexdsl, now can you?!?! :wacko:

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSTV also faced this issue, and to this date even with hacks some games are completely unplayable on it due to lacking features (Uncharted: Golden Abyss)
and sony where complete pricks and some games that could easily be played on it where still disabled from doing so. just being reminded of that makes me fear it even more

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
switch lite has 2 modes handheld and tabletop, a switch without a screen would only have one mode out of 3.
LOL Table TOP? DUDE that's handheld mode being hold by a bottle water xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD if you put a monitor on your home console on the kitchen table, that will be table top mode too. Don't be like that please.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
LOL Table TOP? DUDE that's handheld mode being hold by a bottle water xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD if you put a monitor on your home console on the kitchen table, that will be table top mode too. Don't be like that please.
there is 3 modes on the back of each game cartridge, if you dont think tabletop is a mode nintendo will tell you otherwise.

Rail Fighter

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
It was necessary because of how shit the Wiimote motion controls were even with the Motion+, and had a tendency to drift a lot over a short amount of time, and even when calibrated it didn't always work correctly. Hopefully it should actually work properly with JoyCons.
In a pinch the IR camera could be used for centering, but it hopefully shouldn't be necessary.
I thought this was a "limitation" of the techonology, since the Wii U Gamepad and other stuff were also like this.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I thought this was a "limitation" of the techonology, since the Wii U Gamepad and other stuff were also like this.
Some drifting is expected. Simply pointing the controller in front of you and pressing a button to recenter is good enough, though. In the Wii's case, the drifting was so severe you'd be constantly doing that every 15 minutes (rather than every few hours) if it didn't have the sensor bar to automatically recenter itself. And it didn't help that the game required super precise inputs that the technology at the time simply couldn't do reliably. So even when you moved the Wiimote correctly the game did not always reflect your movements.

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Some drifting is expected. Simply pointing the controller in front of you and pressing a button to recenter is good enough, though. In the Wii's case, the drifting was so severe you'd be constantly doing that every 15 minutes (rather than every few hours) if it didn't have the sensor bar to automatically recenter itself. And it didn't help that the game required super precise inputs that the technology at the time simply couldn't do reliably. So even when you moved the Wiimote correctly the game did not always reflect your movements.
I've never played that game, but I've never had any such problems with the pointer. Maybe you have a lot of IR light in the room? It I'm misunderstanding?

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well, if they keep reporting these upgraded rumors, then eventually it'll be the truth. Sooner or later Nintendo will definitely release an upgraded version same with their previous handhelds.

D

Deleted User

Still haven't got a Switch, might join late once again. Didn't get a 3DS until the N3DS. 1080p and joycons with no drift issues would be enough for me, upgrade in CPU/GPU power not really a selling point to me since I believe just as with the N3DS very little software will make use of it and everything released will run on the old Switch. Then again if it opens the door for something a bit trickier to emulate that certainly won't be a negative.

Maybe I'm weird but I really feel like technology has reached the point where it doesn't need to get better. I mostly play old 2D games anyway, maybe technology needs to get back to how well it worked then... no loading times and neither computers or consoles needed a fan to run.
if you dont mind portability there are adapters that let you use pretty much any controller so you could use a dualshock 4 or xbox one controller, technology definitely can get better, many games still barely run at 30 fps, i can put up with bad graphics, but bad fps make my head hurt

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think some folks view the evolutions of consoles very differetly than those in the industry do. The beefed up switch likely isn't targeting those that already have a switch or two in their home. It is targeting those who have held off for various reasons; maybe they wanted a nicer portable screen or [insert reason here].

Nintendo will want to continue the inertia of switch sales and that eventually tapers off with market saturation until you give people who have held off a compelling reason to buy. Sure, there will be those who decide to "upgrade", but nintendo's track record has shown for decades now that they aren;t really interested in abandoning the previous console. We see a history where a few games here or there require the newer hardware, but by and large, 99.999% of the game library works on all iterations of the console. Look at the "new" 3DS. I think there are only two first party exclusive titles, 3 if you include virtual console. This is going to be a non issue for almost everyone who already has a switch at home.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If the rumor about 4K turns out to be true I am all over this. Knowing Nintendo though the hardware would be too weak to effectively utilize it in anything but 2D games and the most simple of 3D games.
I've never played that game, but I've never had any such problems with the pointer. Maybe you have a lot of IR light in the room? It I'm misunderstanding?
It's specific to that game. No other games tried to use the motion controls for anything that required high precision. Devs probably realized it would not be a good experience. I can look past it a bit for Skyward Sword because it's such a fun game that the occasional annoyance of my attacks not hitting correctly doesn't completely ruin it. I really wish it would get ported to a platform with more competent motion controls so I could enjoy it fully though.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: TheCasualties

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT