Hacking Updating EmuNAND error

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whenever I try to do a system update in EmuNAND, it starts updating, then stops after a few seconds, saying that an error has occurred and the system was unable to update. After restarting and going back into the EmuNAND, the system acts like it's on the newest fw. I can access all the online stuff, the system version is 11.0 (With the Rei prefix.) and hbl needed the payload to be renamed. I think I had this happen before on the EmuNAND when I tried to update to 10.7, but I can't remember.

I have a backup of my EmuNAND that is very recent. Should I restore it and try to update again? Everything on the system seems fine, so I don't know if there's anything I should do because I'm fairly certain the system didn't fully update in the little time before it errored, even though everything seems functional.

Info on the system:
New 3DS XL
SysNAND 9.2, with menuhax and all that.
ReiNAND 11.0, I guess? (Previously on 10.7 and 9.2)

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-r...mware-w-o-upgrading-to-10-3-or-higher.413368/

the franken firmware guide just shows how to downgrade and the sysUpgrader does it on sysNAND doesn it? This is happening on emuNAND
I think the sysupdater updates Sysnand, but if it's run in CIA mode, it might do emunand. Since I have backups of my emunand, im not really scared to mess with it. I don't really know what I can and can't do with an emunand, but I could try to downgrade it. I've got a second system I could test it on if I could load the emunand backup on it, but the D-pad is really messed up, so that might not go too well.
Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

Ray2R

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you put your NAND.bin back into? It says to inject back into SD card but I don't see that option. Theres emuNand to file. Is that the one?

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you put your NAND.bin back into? It says to inject back into SD card but I don't see that option. Theres emuNand to file. Is that the one?
Using the Emunand thing, or Decrypt9, I should be able to restore a backup. I don't know it it'll work on a different system, though. I rarely use the other system, since it's having hardware issues, so I don't really mind experimenting with it.

Ray2R

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so what my NAND.bin will do is return it back to the firmware that I had when I created the NAND.bin with?

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so what my NAND.bin will do is return it back to the firmware that I had when I created the NAND.bin with?
Yeah. Though, I'm sure bad things will happen if you try to load an emunand backup to sysnand. Just be careful with your nand.bins, and be sure you know which one goes to which nand. If you don't know which nand.bin is for the specific nand you wanna restore, I would play it safe and not restore, unless you really need to.

Ray2R

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, would not mess with the sysNand. Gonna try to do the emuNand to file with my backed up emuNand.

Tobias97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's frankenware. The same thing happened to me but I was able to access my system settings (which you shouldn't be able to do on frankenware), go to the browser, play online and everything. You're probably fine.

Last edited by Tobias97,
Reactions: Magical Sheep

Ray2R

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's frankenware. The same thing happened to me but I was able to access my system settings (which you shouldn't be able to do on frankenware), go to the browser, play online and everything. You're probably fine.
Yea, but you can't update to the latest anymore. To access eShop.

Tobias97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if that's the case, then I shouldn't have been able update to 11.0 to begin with, since something similar happening when I updated to 10.7 (the update was almost done but I got an error and was forced to reboot). Hmm, I'll wait for 11.1 and try to update to that, if all else fails, I'll just restore my old Emunand.

Ray2R

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if that's the case, then I shouldn't have been able update to 11.0 to begin with, since something similar happening when I updated to 10.7 (the update was almost done but I got an error and was forced to reboot). Hmm, I'll wait for 11.1 and try to update to that, if all else fails, I'll just restore my old Emunand.

What do u use to restore emuNAND. The NAND.bin file and what selection do you use to restore emuNAND on Decrypt9? Is it "emuNAND to file" ? I don't know which one to select to restore emuNAND.

Tobias97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried using EmuNAND9? That should give you an option to restore.

squee666 said:
FYI ReiNand prevent upadating Nfirm aswell as downgrading it.

Thats why your are partially updated you on frankenfirm

I'm guessing this is if your NANDs are linked.

Last edited by Tobias97,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/d7mkQP8