Hacking Updating to Firmware 1.19 on a 4.4.0 3DS

Adrock4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just have a 4.4.0 3DS with no DS/DSi available, and I'm looking to update my DSTWO to 1.19 so I can install 4.5.0 on my 3DS. I had a few questions about my situation.

Will my 3DS be able to update to 1.19 via the method shown on the SuperCard forums? (Said method) I've seen nobody confirm or deny this, but pretty much every post I've seen on the SuperCard forums about it involves someone on 4.4.0 running into trouble doing it.

Is there any way to tell which firmware the DSTWO is running on currently, so I know that an upgrade is successful?

Thanks for your help.

carmania100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your DSTWO has the fish tycoon icon when put into the 3DS, it won't work. If it has the Alex Rider icon, it will work. You have nothing to worry about doing it on a 4.4 if you have the alex rider icon.

Adrock4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I do have the Alex Rider DSTWO, so that's a relief.

However, when I boot up the DSTWO with dstwoupdateb.dat in the root of the microSD, nothing happens. It just takes me to the plugin menu like normal. For the record, I have all my usual files on the microSD. Should I erase them before doing this? What all should be on the microSD, actually? Just dstwoupdateb.dat?

Again, thanks for the help.

Adrock4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, if I can use the DSTWO normally on my 3DS, I can update it normally with it? Huh. That's a piece of information that isn't really well-communicated. I always thought that there was something about the 3DS preventing standard DSTWO updates at all.

EDIT: Well, I'll be damned. It worked updating it normally. Thanks a bunch, man.

Maybe someone should update the Beginner's Guide thread to note that doing the dstwoupdateb.dat method isn't necessary if your DSTWO works on your 3DS.

Adrock4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh. You'd think at some point people would realize that updates are to be avoided if you're into flashcarts and modding.

Adrock4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that's a bit more tolerable (or at least understandable) than people asking how to play 3DS roms on their flashcart.

nutsnbolts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, take it from me. I have updated PSP's, two 3ds's and just recently 3ds xl with accompanying DSTwo and Acekard Carts. From time to time I have to really sit back and think about what I'm about to do. :blink:

Sometimes it still confuses me?

Rule of thumb, don't update anything on the 3DS till you're positive you are on the latest and greatest firmware on the carts.

I just ordered two additional DSTwo carts and now I'm thinking hmmm..how do I know what version those are currently at?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1