Ektif

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello,

my PC hardware (especially CPU) is quite outdated, and I want to change that.

My Specs are:

Linux Mint 21.1
i5-2400
GTX 1050 Ti
16GB DDR3
Mainboard: P8H67-M PRO

The thing is, my current mainboard does not give me much in terms of an upgrade path. According to a website (which I unfortunately can't post), I could upgrade to an i7-3770 or i7-3770k with that specific mainboard. That would probably be enough for me, considering I don't do much gaming and can't afford an entire new system that would be costing me somewhat in the 4-digits.

So I thought, I could go with it. A problem I have is, according to the aforementioned website, my mainboard needs to be at least on version 3806, while it seems, the current version of mine is 1003. I downloaded an update file from ASUS and honestly, I don't know exactly what to do now, it gave me zip with a .rom inside, so I thought I'd rather ask you guys than potentially blowing up my system, since I never updated a mainboard before.

The other thing I stumbled upon is, making sure to get a compatible CPU (should I get an i7-3770 or i7-3770k?)

Looking at Amazon, I found some, but with different build numbers, so I don't know exactly what to look for.

For example, I found an i7-3770 with the build number BX80637I73770, while another has ‎CM8063701211600. The i-3770k I found ‎ has BX80637I73770K. I'm a bit confused on why the first two differ, despite (afaik) being the same CPU, the second one cost just 70€ though (unfortunately, I can't post the links to the product pages).

I would be very grateful for any help ^^

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i7-3700k is an unlocked cpu for overclocking, with 4 cores/8 threads with clock speed at 3.5GHz, while i7-3700 isn't an unlock cpu, with a 4 cores/8 threads with clock speed of 3.4GHz, so if you don't really game or need over clock just go with i7-3700.

Reactions: Ektif

Ektif

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay guys, I messed up D:

I flashed the downloaded update in the BIOS, I did that booting into the BIOS and chose the update functionality and the file. It says, it successfully updated. But after an automatic restart, it just says "No device found" and brings me straight up to the BIOS flash utility, where I applied the update, and it just says "Reading failed" D:

EDIT: Okay, I managed to boot into my OS again. Don't know exactly why I must first use "recovery boot" into my BIOS and then manually select my drive (maybe I have to redo the boot order?)
Post automatically merged:

i7-3700k is an unlocked cpu for overclocking, with 4 cores/8 threads with clock speed at 3.5GHz, while i7-3700 isn't an unlock cpu, with a 4 cores/8 threads with clock speed of 3.4GHz, so if you don't really game or need over clock just go with i7-3700.
Ah okay, so I'll probably go with the 3770k then.

Last edited by Ektif,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...