• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US and Taliban sign Afghanistan peace deal

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idiots! you should never trust terrorist to uphold a damn treaty this false sense of security will be the death of us all their goal is to kill westerners and spread the false version of islam by signing the deal they get their breeding ground back and time to plot to kill us

RaptorDMG

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
idiots! you should never trust terrorist to uphold a damn treaty this false sense of security will be the death of us all their goal is to kill westerners and spread the false version of islam by signing the deal they get their breeding ground back and time to plot to kill us

Well the past 20 years the Taliban just wanted everyone to leave their country after all they fought the isis invasion when they came in and they got invaded in the first place because the said no to the US going in and striking Al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

The main downside is that without US support the current (corrupt) Afghan government will probably collapse and the Taliban would enforce Islamic law on the country which wouldn't be good for the inhabitants but probably slightly better than a constant state of war.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So you're telling me that after nearly twenty years at war, the end result is that we've decided to legitimize the fucking Taliban as the new rulers of Afghanistan?

31khai.png

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
So you're telling me that after nearly twenty years at war, the end result is that we've decided to legitimize the fucking Taliban as the new rulers of Afghanistan?
No one cared about Afghanistan. Mountain region. Disperse ruling structure (warlords), almost no natural resources.

You literally only went there, so people wouldnt ask, why you invaded Iraq after 911 all the time.

As soon as you went there, local fractions used you as chess pieces in their own, lets wipe out our neighbor clan games. (For everyone always their local opponents where 'taliban', when the US asked.) And whatever power structure the US supported never had much influence outside the capital, because the country was so segmented.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49192495

Also wars are never ended, because you finally learned how to trust the other side. Don't know which Marvel movie taught you that, but..

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Taleweaver and Xzi
D

Deleted User

The next president (don't know why Bernie came to mind) will likely just rip apart the deal because "We don't deal with terrorists!" or "It's not a good deal." and thus, they remain there as if it was their land/country.

I never agreed with govts sending soldiers to foreign countries, but rather deal with the issues they have in their own countries – Homelessness, violence, elderly, waste, etc. Go fight a war that's not mine? No thanks.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You literally only went there, so people wouldnt ask, why you invaded Iran after 911 all the time.

Ummm... WHAT? We were there in operation Enduring Freedom BEFORE we ever went to Iraq (after the 911 thing... not considering the Gulf War). We went there partially to hunt Taliban, and SPECIFICALLY, to track down Osama Bin Laden. No source you want to quote can prove me wrong, because I WAS THERE. Was also in the Arabian Gulf during Iraqi Freedom.

Last edited by urherenow,

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
Moving swiftly away from conspiracy theories.

A deal like this is the best result you're going to get. This little experiment in nation building at the irrational, ass-end of the earth was doomed from the start because the United States and other western governments don't have the stomach to do what's necessary to tame a country like Afghanistan, which would require permanent occupation and death on the level of a genocide.

Reactions: Hanafuda

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Enduring freedom begins October 7, 2001
Iraq Invasion begins March 19, 2003

So basically one and change years apart.

Peak number of troops in Iraq was around 180,000, spiked in 2003
Peak number of troops in Afghanistan was around 100,000, spiked in 2011

So my version of events roughly is, 2001 - roughly 1.300 US soldiers arrive in Afghanistan. US drums up the war economy (military industrial complex). US invades Iraq. Once thats done, you still have many soldiers you dont know what to do with - so roughly half of them go to Afghanistan as well.

Afghanistan is of strategic importance to russian border security, and for pretty much nothing else.

And how the effort to hunt down taliban in Afghanistan went, I pretty much described. Yes, you hunted 'some thing' in Afghanistan. Created more taliban as a result. And the Bin Laden ultimately was in another castle.

Now - if you only were after Bin Laden, you track him via intelligence means. Why do you drum up a war economy for that purpose? Also the US would never have done that for Afghanistan alone. It wouldnt have payed financially. So once you've got your big army (recruitment efforts), you also need to do something with it that makes sense - for someone. Otherwise, empty spending.

edit: Troop numbers in Afghanistan (over time): https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/i...vasion-2020-taliban-deal-200229142658305.html

edit: Sorry for Iraq/n typos, corrected where possible.

edit2: While 9/11 no doubt was a traumatic event for the US as a whole, and something unimaginable at the time (attack on your soil), ultimately 3000 people died (equivalent to people dying in the US from falling down stairs each year), and maybe even more people as a result of the emergency/cleanup efforts (asbestos). If as a result you drum up an active army of 180.000 US troops that can be deployed in war efforts all over the world, you have to do something with them that makes more than just 'public relations'/'symbolic' sense. Or you simply don't do it. During the entire process, there should be enough people to tell whoever is in charge, that invading Afghanistan with an army of 100.000 makes exactly no sense.
The whole thing has its own dynamic, and gets its own entire internal logic. And Afghanistan didn't feature in it very prominently.

Hence - also this measly report for when war comes to an end in Afghanistan (that there was no 'we win' narrative to be had also didn't help).

Remember 'mission accomplished' (end of major combat operations in Iraq) in comparison.

edit 3: There even is a version of this, where Bin Ladens terrorism efforts worked. As a result (not as a direct result, but as a result of what followed), the US became more isolationist, less interested in playing world police, less interested in the middle east. Weary of war. Now Bin Laden was pretty much a weird psycho, and was used by local interests to fork over family money - which is not exactly a great strategic mind in action. And there were a boatload of other factors that are more directly responsible for the US retraction from the middle east, as a nation happening. So the correlation is small. But there is an internal logic to terrorism, and it always baits overreaction on part of a government, that can not achieve what people (in terror) wan't them to. Terrorism is about trying to provoke system change. So it creates loose/loose scenarios for governments. Luckily the US also had Iraq and they 'won' there. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A deal like this is the best result you're going to get.

yep. somewhat amusing to see those who oppose the President griping now that he's not obliterating the enemy at all/any cost and instead is trying to find a way to get us the fuck out of there. Give peace a chance, you warmongers.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You literally only went there, so people wouldnt ask, why you invaded Iraq after 911 all the time.
More like our troops had no fucking clue what the mission was supposed to be in either Afghanistan or Iraq. Neither did anybody else, of course. Gotta love Republican planning and foresight. The spectacular failure of the "war on terror" can only maybe be matched by the failures of the "war on drugs." Then again, I suppose either is preferable to the war on literacy and critical thinking that the right-wing is waging now.

Last edited by Xzi,

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Well you wouldnt ever beat 'terror' nor would you ever beat 'drugs' by fighting them (on a battlefield). Obviously.

So you set different goals. :)

(War on drugs in the US failed earlier in a spectacular fashion. :) You started to shoot down planes, then routes diverted to (through) mexico. Great success.. ;) (*sarcasm*) The whole prison population thing came later. But all of that is hindsight is 20/20)

In Iraq, you put in a hardliner into the commanding position after you successfully invaded, that managed to alienate 40% of the country(s elite) in (what felt like) three days. Therefore the businesses arrangements that came after weren't as successful as expected (China got oil concessions), and the country less stable a result.

There is no guarantee in these things playing out in a certain way. (You have to win over populations. You do that by stabilizing them politically and then producing a boom (edit: if they have natural resources), that also lets you benefit through economic arrangements.) Iraq is still projected to boom economically, so something there worked. :)

Also, with that you are then stabilizing a region. (But then Syria got a little out of control..)

Last edited by notimp,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
In normal circumstances, I'd be cautiously optimistic. But let's be honest here: this is like an arsonist proudly proclaiming he put out a fire. Because case in point: the US's foreign policy's a downright disaster:
-the North Korean situation is at best at the same level as it was, but at the very least "equally bad as it was"
-China: started fine before Don got in office, but is now a huge-ass trade war
-the Syrian region: disorganized retreat, meaning Kurdish allies got downright betrayed.
-Iran: withdrawal of the nuclear treaty and assassination of Soleimani from nowhere
-Russia: the meddling in the US election isn't even properly acknowledged (meaning: US intelligence gets downright ignored)
-the Israel-Palestine conflict: downright one-sided, meaning that the situation is more tense than it ever was
-at best a lukewarm handling of EU and navo...which is an eufemism for "downright insulting"
-Mexican border: taxpayer's money get used for stupid walls and inhumane separation policies

So...you're telling me that the government responsible for all these disasters (and I might be missing a few) is able to make a deal in the US's longest war? Right...and Santa Claus is real. :rolleyes:

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
There is a logic to it though. Again, the US is now energy independant (for about 50 years), and picking and choosing new allies. They are still the 'protectorate power' at sea.

They have trade deals with Japan and India, which means, their role is to keep China at bay - which you do partly through economic warfare, because chinas dependance on foreign currency is so high (they have to import pretty much all of their energy), and their growth is investment driven, and time llimited (demography).

You basically cut ties with europe because you dont need them anymore, and russia isnt viewed as a real threat by many people dabling in geopolitics these days.

You pick away the UK to undermine europes economic power, you try to instigate in the france (good demographic)/germany relationship, not too much, but just enough.

And all the while you are restructuring trade relationships with Japan, Canada and South Korea (make them pay more), while bringing the likes of India and Mexico into the fold (young, growing populations, that will be consumption driven for the next decades).

What more do you need?

Again, the whole 'world police' for free (the price of the world backup currency (so unlimited credit)) thing is over. You didn't like the outcome in the middle east? Well, you've already moved on, and nobody else quite can.

I cant tell you how often you hear 'europe has to find its own foreign policy voice' these days... You are basically judging americas performance from an old perspective. Get with the times. :)

(That indias prime minister Modi always has that worried look on his face during Trumps india speeches, because no one genuinely believes that emotional ties come out of it, and and the same time, everyone is play trying real hard, and the Donald is enjoying his 100.000 people welcome - is only an asset, if anything for you. And that the TV reporters mention that the presidents limousine is called "the beast" and is "believed by many to be the safest vehicle in the world" more than once, only has me smirk these days - great to manipulate TV viewers sentiments. At the same time both countries celebrate their democracy (just not when it comes to independence of media, it seems. (Because who needs it, when Trump has twitter - really.)

And those poor shmuks that still want a wall built? They are idiots. Nobody cares about them. They can be lead to the voting booths, or the recruitment offices using fairytales. Just charge them emotionally through instagram or tiktok.

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Yeah, slight problem... (Washington Post Exclusive)

(You have to follow stories for a longer time, not just when they are making headlines. What youtuber will fill that role for you?)

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Good now maybe we can concentrate on video games instead of fighting each other.
I'm not fighting. Are you?

Watch the video. This is the Washington Post correcting the public historic record, years after the fact.

If you think that thats an issue for you as a society, you have me puzzled.

(This is no Assange, that you can torture in the UK for several years, just because he has no institutional backing. This is literally your institutions telling the public - yeah, about that.... We lied. Every political party wants and needs that (on the big historic events), its literally the only corrective left you have in those matters.

The point is, that as a journalistic outlet of high renown, you mostly only can do that years after the fact. (And also are better off if you handle it that way (not that important as an argument).))

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea think that's where it was supposed to be, Miami
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Having been to Miami hmmm probably a hundred times lol
    Back in my days as a delivery driver for a cartel well driver slash guy they would send if a payment was forgotten lol
    you know to help them find their checkbook lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gta4 was NewYork or Chicago, gta5 is California
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn camera phones catching crimes
    Always some women screaming... You break a few thousand dollars worth of crap in someone's living room and they scream lol
    lol Ken yeah the things I did as a kid I am soooo glad those didn't exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If someone breaks my $20 TV stand their nose is getting broke
    Psi would be doing like 300-3,000 years in prison lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Have some in closet allegations?
    Someone tried to pull a gun on me once, they reached into the couch thinking I wouldn't notice, quick kick to the arm snapping it between the wrist and elbow broke like a swing lol I reached into the couch to see what was in there, cool a free .380 lol had to hit him with it a few times to remind him not to do it again lol
    He had the 20K he owed the very next day it was a miracle lol
    Psi was a bad bad man at one point lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We need a GTA based on your life, or at least put you in 6 as a character.
    I don't think people would believe 10% of the things I have done lol thank god...
    I have a giant check list of impossible things, and I haven't done them all yet lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Was the pot farmer in San andreas
    I tell people I wrestled a 5 foot alligator and they get this smile like this guy is full of shit lol the reality is I am sad it got away.... I wanted a pet alligator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You live in Florida, so I believe it, you guys are crazy.
    At the time I would have probably fed it people lol
    Seriously cocaine not even once lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not even once, but 100's of times
    +2
    My girlfriend at the time, she had me stay up with her all night because some how the crazy bitch had spent like 12 hours snorting 2 8 balls, didn't use any water (gotta clean your nose) so she had so much crusted in her nose I was sure she was gonna blow up her heart. I mean this was the stuff right off the boat so absolutely pure. ugghh so annoying
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My girlfriend at the time, she had me stay up with her all night because some how the crazy...