Nicklander

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I solved it, it works !!!!!!
Turns out the solution was the exact opposite of what you wrote in the other thread Cyan... XD

USB Loader GX with 2 HDDs with 2 Y-cables setup

HDDs: 2x WD Elements 2TB

USB Loader GX 3.0 r1272 mod7 (no changes to meta.xml)
also works: USB Loader GX 3.0 r1272

cIOS v10-beta52 vWii set up normally
base 56 => 249
base 57 => 250
base 58 => 251

Loader Settings
Loader IOS: 58
Game IOS: 251

Hard Drive Settings
USB Port: 0

WiiU HDD needs to be in slot 0 (upper back)
vWii HDD can be in any other slot
The way I personally do it is WiiU data in slot0, WiiU power in slot1, vWii data in front left, vWii power in front right

Everything works now, WiiU, Wii & Gamecube. Hope this helps someone !

Last edited by Nicklander,
Reactions: Sypherone

Nicklander

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Scenario 2 - vWii HDD plugged in front slots and WiiU HDD plugged in back slots (usb0):
This is even weirder. USB Loader GX successfully initialises and displays all Gamecube & Wii games I have on the vWii HDD. Gamecube games actually play perfectly fine. But when trying to play Wii games I get a blackscreen upon clicking play. Turns out Wii games can't load successfully if HDD is plugged in front slots.

How can I play from vWii HDD with USB Loader GX without disconnecting the WiiU HDD ???

using USB Loader GX v3.0 r1272 mod7

The irony is that I nearly had the solution here already... all I was missing was to set Game IOS to 251, this is what fixed the blackscreen for Wii games.

Nicklander

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What's the differences ?

Boot WiiU with only vWii HDD connected
=> Go vWii Menu, Plug WiiU HDD, Homebrew Channel, USB Loader GX
=> Also Works !

and 2 lines later

Boot WiiU with only vWii HDD connected
=> vWii mode, plug WiiU HDD, homebrew channel, USB Loader GX
=> USB Loader GX freezes on startup at "reinitializing devices"

To me, it's random.
you did the same, and it works then 2 lines later it doesn't.

The difference is that in the first quote I already started USB Loader GX once after boot without WiiU HDD. So when I start it the second time, I can connect the WiiU HDD and it will still work.
Now this time with BootOS set to 58 in meta.xml:
=> Boot WiiU with only vWii HDD connected
=> Go into vWii mode, launch homebrew channel, then USB Loader GX
=> Now actually works
=> Go vWii Menu, Plug WiiU HDD, Homebrew Channel, USB Loader GX
=> Also Works !

And in the second quote (Wii froze so had to reboot) I immediately plug in WiiU HDD and start USB Loader GX. This is why it crashes. My testing showed that USB Loader GX apparently first needs to get started without WiiU HDD for the first start for some weird reason.
=> USB Loader GX freezes on startup at "reinitializing devices" :( :( :(
=> Boot WiiU with only vWii HDD connected
=> vWii mode, plug WiiU HDD, homebrew channel, USB Loader GX
=> USB Loader GX freezes on startup at "reinitializing devices"

Yeah... all of this testing was very weird. I'm glad I'm done with this bs and that shit finally works. I wasted way too many hours of my life on this already. But thank you all for helping and giving ideas ! Maybe my weird testing results can help you understand why it actually doesn't work with vWii in Slot0.

Last edited by Nicklander,

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The irony is that I nearly had the solution here already... all I was missing was to set Game IOS to 251, this is what fixed the blackscreen for Wii games.
I gave u in the beginning advice to try different loader cios. 😂 As i already had knewn it. For my question if u had test it. Answer: Yeees all of it 😂

And yes i will take your solution as working scenario for other. Gx loader and external drive problems are a never ending story.

But finally have fun and enjoy your Console 😋

Last edited by Sypherone,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This is not a cure, it's a bandage.
attention when you are using base58 for cIOS and wii games, some games are not compatible with IOS58, and IOS58 is slower to access USB.

The fact that it only works with base58 means your drive is not compatible with cIOS ehci module (the USB module). when using base58, it's using Nintendo's own USB 2.0 module, not the "mini ehci" provided by cIOS d2x.
Maybe they changed the manufacturer, or the hardware, or the descriptor, or the enclosure.
then, it's a hardware problem, much like flashdrives not working with cIOS. Maybe new drive version are not compatible anymore, and therefore people should be careful when ordering a new drive.

Last edited by Cyan,

chr0m

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So what is the correct solution for this?

I'm using the latest USB Loader GX from https://github.com/wiidev/usbloadergx and I installed dx2 v11 beta as follows:

Slot 249 base 56
Slot 250 base 57
Slot 251 base 58

Which is what it says to do on the USB Loader GX github readme

Loader is set to default, which is 249

I can't boot USB Loader GX when the Wii U hdd is connected, it just jumps back to the vWii menu with the Wii HDD in the back ports.

I tried the Wii in the front ports and USB Loader GX boots but doesn't see the HDD.

Both work fine if they are the only HDD plugged in.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@chr0m Try this workaround : USBLGX Alternative cIOS setup and check this previous post as solution.

A cIOS with base 56/57 only supports the back port 0 to play Wii games. A cIOS with base 58 supports all ports, but Wii games can only be played from the back ports 0 and 1, because its hardcoded. GC games should also work from WiiU`s frontport 2 and 3.

chr0m

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@chr0m Try this workaround : USBLGX Alternative cIOS setup and check this previous post as solution.

A cIOS with base 56/57 only supports the back port 0 to play Wii games. A cIOS with base 58 supports all ports, but Wii games can only be played from the back ports 0 and 1, because its hardcoded. GC games should also work from WiiU`s frontport 2 and 3.

Thanks, so what I'm trying to do is have the Wii HDD connected to back 2 ports with y-cable and Wii U HDD connected to the front 2 ports with a y-cable. Will I have to connect both the Wii U and Wii HDD data cables to the back 2 ports and the extra power for them to the front?

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Standard setup :
If using a cIOS with base 57 or 58 the vWii Drive have to be in port 0. The WiiU drive can be in any of the free front ports 3 or 2. Or in the free back port 1.

Alternative setup :
If recognizen issues occur, try the alternative setup with IOS 58/cIOS251(base58). The WiiU HDD have to be in port 0 and the vWii drive in port 1, to prevent recognizen issues.

The other way round with vWii drive in back ports and WiiU in front might work to, but for sure it will stuck at the WiiU drive and not recognize the vWii drive.

Nomado

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
Came up to this issue also but for me USb Loader GX wasn't the problem but Genesis Plus GX, Snes9x, Fceux etc... Wii Emulators use IOS58 thus sees Wii U HDD first and those emulators can't load roms off vWii HDD unless I unplug WiiU HDD. I could load roms off SD card but then when returning back to the loader, HDD sometimes fails to spin up and freezes at reinitializing. Thankfully Gary's evWii plugin for Aroma now enables shutting down vWii by holding power button for 4 sec.

Since @blackbox has released newer version of cIOS and maintains USB loader GX. Could the loader and cIOS made to read USB3 first so 2 HDD won't conflict with Wii Emulators and Homebrews that use IOs58?

Reactions: ChibiMofo

GR-DRACULA

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
btw idk if that helps debugging but here is my syscheck in case I have messed up anything that I shouldn't

Attachments

• sysCheck.csv.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 10

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: My throat is itching