Hacking using both SXOS and atmosphere with same EMUNAND

swspjcd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am still not getting dual booting to work with SXOS and Atmosphere. I have copies of all my data on a large USB so restoring is easy. I have 2 identical 512GB SDCARD. This is where it gets weird.
SXOS boot fine and has no issues launching any of the installed software. I copied all of the data from the SXOS SDCARD to the USB storage drive using robocopy and the mirror option so I know the files are copied properly.
Then I copied the same data to the atmosphere SDCARD so I know it is identical, including the entire SDCARD.
I then installed Atmosphere on the Atmosphere SDCARD with Hekate after building it with SDSETUp.
It boots fine. I manually copied over the signatures and booted Atmosphere. The first game I tried comes up with corrupted data.
I shutdown and copied over the original SXOS back to the Atmosphere SDCARD so it they are identical again.
After launching SXOS, the same game now also says corrupted data under SXOS.
My question then is where does a game get flagged as courrupted because it is *NOT* on the sdcard at all.
Because the cards were identical corrupted data gets flaged somewhere and I am hoping to clear it because it is not being written on the SDCARD anywhere.
The other thing I noticed is after copying the SXOS card data to the secondary SDCARD with mirror option and launching my game which launches correctly, the game thinks I am starting at a different. If I go back to the original SXOS card which has not been altered at all during all of this, my progress is right where I left it.
Again, data is being written somewhere else besides on the SDCARD the progress in the game should be identical from identical SDCARDs, right?

210modz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use a separate emunand for sx os atmosphere. That's how I was setup at one point. You need to create the sx os emunand first then you can resize the fat32 partition leaving the correct sized partition unformatted as the last partition. You can then use emutool to restore either a nand backup or a backup of the sx os emunand to the unformatted partition.

swspjcd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use a separate emunand for sx os atmosphere. That's how I was setup at one point. You need to create the sx os emunand first then you can resize the fat32 partition leaving the correct sized partition unformatted as the last partition. You can then use emutool to restore either a nand backup or a backup of the sx os emunand to the unformatted partition.
I have done all of this. The problem now is that that data is being stored elsewhere and I am not sure where. Identical SDCARDs both boot into SXOS properly, but the second card has the last games rearranged in a different order and the save games are different. Launching the same game on one starts at a different place I left off then starting the same game on an identical SDCARD. Not even using Atmosphere at all. I put that on hold until I can figure out what exactly is going on. I even tried backing up the saves using both Tinfoil and SX Installer on the good SDcard, mirrored it to the secondary SDCARD, and restored the saves for the game and the starting point is not where I left off. To be clear, saves were restore with Tinfoil and game started in wrong place. Saves were restored with SXInstaller and the progress was started in the wrong place. Somewhere progress data is *not* being written to the SDCARD when booting all of the above in EMUNAND.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My frustration continues. In an effort to be able to dual boot SXOS and Atmosphere using the same EMUNAND and /Emutendo folder, I started with an identical copy of my primary SDCARD and then installed Atmosphere. It boots fine through Hekate although several of the games show as corrupted data. I read somewhere that games installed from XCI will be problematic. I went and converted all of my XCI installed games to NSP with 4NXCI and proper keys and reinstalled them under SXOS. Then I booted to Atmosphere and they still show as corrupted.. This is how I started going down the rabbit hole of finding when a game is marked as corrupted, where is that actually flagged because it is NOT on the SDCARD.
I have been at this for over a week and several hours a day and am having no luck getting SXOS and Atmosphere to boot. No idea how anyone else has done this successfully. I have read some many forums and guides my eyes are watering. It seems like it should be so simple but I always either get corrupted data or this software wont start. The wont start thing is signature related and usually easily fixed. The corruption thing is mind boggling.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not quite sure why you feel the need for 2 emummcs, except for wanting Atmosphere always on the latest HOS FW, while keeping one for SX that you will delay updating. Currently a waste of space, since no game currently REQUIRES 11.0.1 or above to run. With some caveats:

1) With this setup, you will ALWAYS have disparities with save games. Unless you backup with checkpoint, and then restore with checkpoint when loading a different emmc/emummc. Saves are stored ON THE EMMC, not on the SD, so sharing the Nintendo/Emutendo folder won't help with that.

2) When installing a title, A ticket is also installed ON THE EMMC. Just because you share the Nintendo/Emutendo folder, does not mean that installing while using 1 emummc will allow it to show up in another, even though it would otherwise be valid and is using the same encryption keys. The tickets aren't there.

3) manually copying the ticket.db/title.db between systems to keep them synchronized (you can mount any emmc as read/write using nyx, and mount them on PC using HacDiskMount)... if a game was run on 11.0.1, it might refuse to run under 11.0.0. You will have to boot that 11.0.0 partition (with Atmosphere, not SX) and hold Vol+ and Vol- after the sept logo comes up and changes to the Atmosphere logo, until maintenance mode comes up. Don't do anything in maintenance mode, just power down, then when you boot 11.0.0 again with sx, the games won't bug you for updates.

4) HOS home screen arrangement (last played, etc) is also a save file. Kind of. It works like desktop.ini on a Windows PC. You guessed it! On the emmc/emummc!

TL;DR: Using multiple emummcs is problematic. A nuisance at best. For now, my emummc is on 11.0.0 and I use it with both sx and Atmosphere.

Last edited by urherenow,
Reactions: Maupiti

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
TL;DR: Using multiple emummcs is problematic. A nuisance at best. For now, my emummc is on 11.0.0 and I use it with both sx and Atmosphere.
That’s my setup also, working fine, and I keep Sxos to be able to play Xcis from usb docked or on the road with my ssd, as there’s no sd card large enough for all my games. And Atmosphere, because some homebrews (or overlays) can’t work properly under Sxos.

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What is the use of using the same emunand for both?
SX can atm only do 11.0.0, atmosphere can do 11.0.1.
So when you update emunand to 11.0.1 sx will become useless.
If you stay on 11.0.0 what is the point of using atmosphere when you already use sx?
Pick one cfw or use two SD cards

Last edited by lafleche,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you stay on 11.0.0 what is the point of using atmosphere when you already use sx?
Different features on both, none having a damn thing to do with 11.0.1. That firmware adds nothing to the equation (at this point). I was addressing the OP's concerns. Your post, isn't helpful in the slightest.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you didn’t read my post, or didn’t understood it.

That’s my setup also, working fine, and I keep Sxos to be able to play Xcis from usb docked or on the road with my ssd, as there’s no sd card large enough for all my games. And Atmosphere, because some homebrews (or overlays) can’t work properly under Sxos.

Last edited by Maupiti,

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Different features on both, none having a damn thing to do with 11.0.1. That firmware adds nothing to the equation (at this point). I was addressing the OP's concerns. Your post, isn't helpful in the slightest.
Well sorry for living.... Your reaction isn't polite in the slightest.

swspjcd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so we are clear, I am NOT trying to have 2 different emunands. I am trying to have SXOS and Atmosphere share the same one. Somewhere from the OP this got twisted into something else.

The main reason I wanted to be able to share one emunand between atmosphere and SXOS is the future of SXOS is very uncertain. This is the longest time they have delayed a working update for a firmware (11.01).

Last edited by swspjcd,

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just so we are clear, I am NOT trying to have 2 different emunands. I am trying to have SXOS and Atmosphere share the same one. Somewhere from the OP this got twisted into something else.

The main reason I wanted to be able to share one emunand between atmosphere and SXOS is the future of SXOS is very uncertain. This is the longest time they have delayed a working update for a firmware (11.01).
It is perfectly clear and @urherenow gave you a very accurate answer.

Last edited by Maupiti,

swspjcd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not quite sure why you feel the need for 2 emummcs, except for wanting Atmosphere always on the latest HOS FW, while keeping one for SX that you will delay updating. Currently a waste of space, since no game currently REQUIRES 11.0.1 or above to run. With some caveats:

1) With this setup, you will ALWAYS have disparities with save games. Unless you backup with checkpoint, and then restore with checkpoint when loading a different emmc/emummc. Saves are stored ON THE EMMC, not on the SD, so sharing the Nintendo/Emutendo folder won't help with that.

2) When installing a title, A ticket is also installed ON THE EMMC. Just because you share the Nintendo/Emutendo folder, does not mean that installing while using 1 emummc will allow it to show up in another, even though it would otherwise be valid and is using the same encryption keys. The tickets aren't there.

3) manually copying the ticket.db/title.db between systems to keep them synchronized (you can mount any emmc as read/write using nyx, and mount them on PC using HacDiskMount)... if a game was run on 11.0.1, it might refuse to run under 11.0.0. You will have to boot that 11.0.0 partition (with Atmosphere, not SX) and hold Vol+ and Vol- after the sept logo comes up and changes to the Atmosphere logo, until maintenance mode comes up. Don't do anything in maintenance mode, just power down, then when you boot 11.0.0 again with sx, the games won't bug you for updates.

4) HOS home screen arrangement (last played, etc) is also a save file. Kind of. It works like desktop.ini on a Windows PC. You guessed it! On the emmc/emummc!

I think there is some confusion from the different replies. What I want to do is have 1 emunand and 1 Emutendo and be able to boot back and forth from Atmosphere and SXOS. From my understanding this should be possible since they are using the same files/partition. The main reason is because we have no idea if SXOS will continue and the idea of rebuilding my whole install is a bit daunting. I am aware of the feature differences between the two and neither doesn't seem to have a workaround. I will continue to try to get it to work smoothly. Since I have two SDCARDS and copies of everything on a 3rd USB drive, it is fairly easy, if not time consuming to switch back and forth.
All that being said, if I start with identical SDCARDS including the partition and Emutendo ,when I boot off of both, I would expect the list of most recent games to be indentical and it is not. Their order is not the same. The reason I care about that is even though I have followed every guide and post I could find on having 1 emunand and Emutendo folder, getting Atmosphere to function completely on a fully functioning SXOS setup has been problematic with lots of corruption and game wont start messages. I did read that XCI installs under SXOS won't work under Atmosphere so I converted all of my XCIs to NSP with proper keys and reinstalled but the corruption problems continued. Getting both (SXOS and Atmosphere) to both has been easy enough. Getting Atmosphere to see the exact same games and updates and start properly has been the biggest issue.
The next thing I am going to try is to reinstall the XCIs (converted to NSP) under Atmosphere and see if SXOS has issues.
This should be possible since both are sharing the same emunand and /Emutendo folder correct?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tinfoil can install XCI files. You don't need to convert them first. If you use nut, you don't even need to place them on your SD first.

Code:
[emummc]
enabled=1
sector=0x2
path=emuMMC/RAW1
id=0x0000
nintendo_path=Emutendo

Notice the "path" line. Do you have that RAW1 folder in there on your SD? Is there a file called "raw_based" in that folder, that's 4 bytes? I wouldn't worry about the order of the games. If you continue a game and it continues from the correct spot, you know you're using the same nand, and if that game is "installed to sd" and it plays on both, then you are correctly using the same Emutendo folder.

Otherwise, you may have a misconfiguration in hekate_ipl.ini, or BCT.ini, or you're not using the correct version of patches. There IS 1 different patch between the fusee.zip and hekate.zip. I always install both just in case.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep is as is until the need arises for newer firmware. To get Atmosphere to work with SXOS's EmuNAND you just have to make a ini file and put it in the right place. It's will work BUT IF you used the installer in the SX Menu to install your games, those games won't work in atmosphere.. But that's easy to fix by reinstalling using tinfoil or awoo.

To make Atmosphere see the SXOS firmware AFAIK it has to be the hidden partition type Theres plenty of tools to swap it out. Remember to backup your card first.

Use this to convert to hidden partition. It;'s harder to corrupt it so win win. Use FAT32!

https://gbatemp.net/threads/emutool...r-sd-switch-emu-type-on-sxos-and-more.550756/

Then to get Atmosphere to see the SX Hidden partition EmuNAND you do this.

Create > emummc folder on the root of the SD

Create > emummc.ini file inside of emummc folder using your favorite text editor.

Copy and paste this to emummc.ini
Code:
[emummc]
emummc_enabled = 1
emummc_sector = 0x2
emummc_nintendo_path = Emutendo

That's it.

That way you can keep your USB devices and everything in SXOS.

Last edited by mikefor20,

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Don’t use Sx Installer to install your games, use Tinfoil or awoo. As you have a license.dat on your sd, Tinfoil will also work under Atmosphere.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Code:
[emummc]
emummc_enabled = 1
emummc_sector = 0x2
emummc_nintendo_path = Emutendo
I've seen you post this same thing several times. Stop. IT'S WRONG. There is no "emummc_" in all of those .ini entries. I have already posted the proper contents for a partition-based, directly above you.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen you post this same thing several times. Stop. IT'S WRONG. There is no "emummc_" in all of those .ini entries. I have already posted the proper contents for a partition-based, directly above you.

It absolutely works. Did it on my setup. You have to make the ini. Just copy that in to it. And put it where i said. It's not wrong. You are misinformed. The SXOS EmuNAND is compatible. Its just on a different offset. Try it. Stop thinking know everything. It works with hidden partition based EmuNAND.

Talk to me with respect.

Last edited by mikefor20,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It absolutely works. Did it on my setup. You have to make the ini. Just copy that in to it. And put it where i said. It's not wrong. You are misinformed. The SXOS EmuNAND is compatible. Its just on a different offset. Try it. Stop thinking know everything. It works with hidden partition based EmuNAND.

Talk to me with respect.
Try reading the whole thread. I know it works. Your INI is wrong. Broken records don't need respect. They need to be thrown away.

Do yourself a favor and read the Atmosphere changelog here: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/At...7114ffa868937f1c75e054606cc/docs/changelog.md

You have to take yourself all the way back to v0.9.2 (yea... june30 of 2019!). If you had bothered following up with your posts and paying attention to what comes afterwords (Even to see if you ACTUALLY helped anybody), you'd see the countless times you've posted that old nonsense and someone like me always has to come behind you and clean up your mess.

If your .ini is still formatted that way, and it still works for you, then you simply haven't been updating your stuff correctly. You might even have a atmosphere/emummc.kip on your SD card, that's old as dirt.

Last edited by urherenow,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I quickly went over all pages here but can't find a definite answer:
Is it possible to share the same filebased (!) emuMMC/emuNAND between both custom firmwares?

I'm doing that with a partition based for ages without problems. However since I want to use Android on the same SD card, a file based emuNAND would be much less of a pain since I wouldn't have to deal with all the MBR/GPT hybrid stuff and partitioning tools.

Reactions: mikefor20

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c