Hacking using both SXOS and atmosphere with same EMUNAND

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I quickly went over all pages here but can't find a definite answer:
Is it possible to share the same filebased (!) emuMMC/emuNAND between both custom firmwares?

I'm doing that with a partition based for ages without problems. However since I want to use Android on the same SD card, a file based emuNAND would be much less of a pain since I wouldn't have to deal with all the MBR/GPT hybrid stuff and partitioning tools.

Hekate can partition and install the images

Last edited by mikefor20,

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is it possible to share the same filebased (!) emuMMC/emuNAND between both custom firmwares?

I'm doing that with a partition based for ages without problems. However since I want to use Android on the same SD card, a file based emuNAND would be much less of a pain since I wouldn't have to deal with all the MBR/GPT hybrid stuff and partitioning tools.
Same for me, as for the Partition based Emunand, have Android but on a dedicated sd card, but being “involved “ in this “complicated “ thread, I’m going to try, definitely, to understand and try to find if it’s possible. “Thanks to Covid “, I have a lot of spare time.

Hekate can partition and install the images
That was not the “point “ of @lordelan he knows very well how to do that.

Last edited by Maupiti,
Reactions: lordelan

swspjcd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This was initially my goal and I tried all kinds of options and settins in emummc.ini. I never had any luck. I gave up and moved to partition based and just converted my existing nand files to a partition. It was easy. Make copies of everything first.

Last edited by swspjcd,

swspjcd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem I kept running into when trying to keep my emunand as file based, is there doesn't appear to be any way to have the emummc.ini file point to the nand files from sxos
[emummc]
enabled = 1
path = sxos/emunand
nintendo_path = Emutendo
Doesnt work becayse it looks like even those al of those files including the emunand files exist, it is still looking for another "emmc" subfolder. There doesn't appear to be a way to have an emummc.ini that can successfully point to the sxos emunand files. It looks like the "emmc" is hardcoded into the binary so no matter what folder you point at, it will always look for another emmc subfolder.
Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: lordelan

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like the "emmc" is hardcoded into the binary so no matter what folder you point at, it will always look for another emmc subfolder.
Hope that makes sense.
It's not just that. emummc looks for boot0, boot1, 00, 01, 02, etc, while sx creates boot0.bin, boot1.bin, full.00.bin, full.01.bin, etc. File-based CANNOT BE DONE without building the source yourself, making the appropriate changes.

If only nyx could run scripts like GodMode9, a script could be easily made to switch between the two by simply moving and renaming the emummc files. It cannot be done from within HOS, because the (emu)eMMC is in use at that point.

@mikefor20 your .ini entries have been WRONG since Atmosphere v.0.9.2. In 2019. Again, stop it.
https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/blob/master/docs/changelog.md

Last edited by urherenow,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That has exactly zero to do with the OP. It doesn't allow using the SAME filebased eMMC on sx and ams at the same time, it doesn't have an auto-rename/move to swap between them, and it isn't even run from the switch. It's computer software.

Of course, after my last post, the OP should get the picture that it's roll your own emummc.kip/kipm or use partition like everybody else. In that case, ok. That program can be useful.

swspjcd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That has exactly zero to do with the OP. It doesn't allow using the SAME filebased eMMC on sx and ams at the same time, it doesn't have an auto-rename/move to swap between them, and it isn't even run from the switch. It's computer software.

Of course, after my last post, the OP should get the picture that it's roll your own emummc.kip/kipm or use partition like everybody else. In that case, ok. That program can be useful.

I absolutely appreciate your response. My original goal was to have the whole SDCARD be file based but as you know, it isn't possible without compile my own software and I definitely don't want to go down that rabbit hole. I gave up on that idea after I realized how easy it was to move file based emunand to a dedicated partition.
My new goal (which I think you already know) is having atmosphere and SXOS share the same partition emunand and /Emutendo.
Unfortunately it is problematic with lots of "corruption" and "software won't start" issues. Unfortunately most of my stuff has been originally installed with SX installer including XCIs. I am now in the process of redoing some and using AWOO (very nice software). I have tried so many options at this point that frankly I am skeptical it will ever work 100%. (I have read all of your and others posts in this thread).

swspjcd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because games installed when using AWOO under SXOS still seem to be corrupt when launching Atmosphere, I am going to try the reverse, and install something under Atmosphere and see if SXOS is more forgiving.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Because games installed when using AWOO under SXOS still seem to be corrupt when launching Atmosphere, I am going to try the reverse, and install something under Atmosphere and see if SXOS is more forgiving.
Something is “under the line” in your comfig/setup , I’ve been using dual boot for years now, with never a single issue installing from Sxos or Atmosphere. You should consider rebuilding your Emummc from scratch. “Something “ in your Emummc is causing the issue.

Last edited by Maupiti,

swspjcd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something is “under the line” in your comfig/setup , I’ve been using dual boot for years now, with never a single issue installing from Sxos or Atmosphere. You should consider rebuilding your Emummc from scratch. “Something “ in your Emummc is causing the issue.

Unfortunately I am inclined to agree with you. Been at this for weeks with little progress. Other than being time consuming, I should be able to reinstall everything. I do not want to lose any of my progress though. I will need to be able to successfully backup the saves on all of my games. Edizon is very buggy under SXOS once launched, all buttons stop working thus making it unusable. Any suggestions of backing up my current saves so I can restore them after reinstalling everything?
I did create a new emunand with SXOS so it was essentially blank, then I installed something under Atmosphere and then launched it under SXOS and it appeared to be fine so that is some progress.

swspjcd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does everyone use to switch back and forth between SXOS and Atmosphere? SXOS RCM to Hekate to Atmosphere? Just curious what's the best method. Fortunately it shouldn't be too painful to build a second SDCARD with my most played games. There aren't that many Not losing progress is my biggest worry though.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What does everyone use to switch back and forth between SXOS and Atmosphere? SXOS RCM to Hekate to Atmosphere? Just curious what's the best method. Fortunately it shouldn't be too painful to build a second SDCARD with my most played games. There aren't that many Not losing progress is my biggest worry though.
There's not best method, all depend on what you want to do. I keep dualboot, because I want to be able to launch Xcis when on the road with my ssd or at home docked. (don't want to switch sd cards for that, and no sd cards are large enough to host my games and out of price compared to an ssd).
Sxos doesn't support all homebrews or ovelays, and then it's when I use Atmosphere.
Try to use JKSV to backup your saves under sxos.
Hekate is a payload launcher (mostly, but a lot more).

Last edited by Maupiti,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use checkpoint for my save backups. In fact, I ruined my own emummc while figuring out what your problem was in this thread. Checkpoint can backup everything at once (iirc) and can also restore everything later, or you can cherry-pick what to restore.

What I did on the emummc that I messed up, is mount it under the USB tools in nyx, then mount on my PC with HacDiskMount. I used that to save the entire user/save folder out of the nand. Actually, A detailed instruction and the tool can be found here:

https://gbatemp.net/attachments/libhac-with-saveextractscript-v2-zip.164018/

BUT... the folder naming is different from what checkpoint uses, so I had to start a game until a save was created, then back it up with checkpoint, then replace everything inside of that folder with the contents of the folder(s) created with that attachment. (hope I didn't lose you with that explanation)

Booting from sx to hekate/ams, you're better off powering down and using a dongle. Hekate/ams to sxos, you can simply reboot (in nyx settings make sure it replaces reboot to payload with hekate), and launch sx through the nyx payload launcher, OR there is a Payload Launcher you can use from HBL: https://github.com/suchmememanyskill/Payload_Launcher/releases

In case you don't know where the payload is, I can't link it here but it's the "sx loader 1.0" on their download page. Seems the forums are down or taken out, but the download page is still there.

Reactions: Maupiti

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I use checkpoint for my save backups. In fact, I ruined my own emummc while figuring out what your problem was in this thread. Checkpoint can backup everything at once (iirc) and can also restore everything later, or you can cherry-pick what to restore.

What I did on the emummc that I messed up, is mount it under the USB tools in nyx, then mount on my PC with HacDiskMount. I used that to save the entire user/save folder out of the nand. Actually, A detailed instruction and the tool can be found here:

https://gbatemp.net/attachments/libhac-with-saveextractscript-v2-zip.164018/

BUT... the folder naming is different from what checkpoint uses, so I had to start a game until a save was created, then back it up with checkpoint, then replace everything inside of that folder with the contents of the folder(s) created with that attachment. (hope I didn't lose you with that explanation)

Booting from sx to hekate/ams, you're better off powering down and using a dongle. Hekate/ams to sxos, you can simply reboot (in nyx settings make sure it replaces reboot to payload with hekate), and launch sx through the nyx payload launcher, OR there is a Payload Launcher you can use from HBL: https://github.com/suchmememanyskill/Payload_Launcher/releases

In case you don't know where the payload is, I can't link it here but it's the "sx loader 1.0" on their download page. Seems the forums are down or taken out, but the download page is still there.
Or you can use fastcfw switch overlay , that’s the one I use, to “switch” between Sxos and Atmosphere, a lot more “convenient “ than powering off...I barely use Hekate, unless when I want to “mess” with some “stuff”.
My dongle have 6 available entries that I also barely use.., but as we say “in french “ “the more available, the best “. As for the “payload “ Sxos, I can send it to the op if necessary.
“Thinking “ about this thread, we don’t even know the switch the op has (Erista ?.. patched?)

Last edited by Maupiti,

swspjcd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For clarity, I have an original Switch and I am the OP. Basically I just wanted to have both SXOS and Atmosphere working with the same emunand (originally wanted file based but doesn't seem possible so I am switching to partition based) and future compatibility in case SXOS stops putting out updates. Currently still on 10.2.0 firmware and use SXOS (emunand) as my primary CFW. I think I finally have it setup correctly. I really don't ever go online or care about playing games online. I made backups of all of my saves and am also using a secondary SDCARD. The first one is untouched. I laos have copies of all of the files including a backup of the NAND files stored in several places just in case. Right now, SXOS (emunand) and Atmosphere (emunand) are both booting properly and it appears a game installed under SXOS is running correctly under Atmosphere also. So far so good. One of the things that was confusing was which fusee binary to use. After reading

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-to-choose-which-atmosphere-patches-to-use-on-switch-fw-10.563886/

a few times, it looks like since 10.0, Atmosphere reads it's own config and decides from there whether to boot in OFW, CFW or CFW (emunand) so essentially I really have no need for Hekate. (please correct me if I am wrong!) I only ever care about booting into CFW (emunand) and in the rare occasion I want to boot to OFW, I will do it without a dongle or possibly through the SXOS RCM.
The other thing I found confusing was which patches did I need installed for which booting option. I just installed the Fusee ones since when booting Atmosphere (emunand) it will be done from SXOS RCM or Hekate (rare).
As a side note, AWOO has been a godsend. Easily doing batch installs over a network is perfection. Much more convenient than other methods even if it isn't the fastest.
I made backups of my saves with ever package I could get to work JKSV seems to be the easiest. I haven't done the restores yet though. Remember this is on a different SDCARD so I should theoretically be able to make backups on my original SDCARD, copy the saves over, and restore them on the secondary SDCARD for the games that are installed. I had a bunch of games installed on the primary SDCARD but discovered only a subset actually had saves for them so only those are being installed on the secondary SDCARD for now. For whatever reason, I couldn't ever get checkpoint to run correctly under SXOS (emunand). It launches but then all of the buttons don't work. I will play around with that when I have some time since it appears to be preferred solution for save management.
As a side note, I wanted to thank everyone here who was willing to help out. This whole process has been a great insight into the switch and many different options and I definitely learned a lot.

Reactions: Maupiti

swspjcd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well so much for optimism. I give up. Spent several hours rebuilding and reinstalling my games and their updates and DLC. Tried to run editzon on my primary SDCARD. Doesn't work. All buttons disabled no matter if I launch it in applet mode or not. I was able to use JKSV to backup all of my saves on my primary sdcard and copy the /JKSV folder over to the secondary sdcard. Once JKSV is launced under SXOS in appplet mode or not, it runs but when picking any restore from any game, it immediately crashes. It crashed under both SXOS and Atmosphere.
So apparently there is no way for me to move my saves from one sdcard to another.
Completely defeated.

swspjcd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried all of the following for backing up and restoring saves.
JKSV successfully creates a backup on primary sdcard but after copying saves to new card, crashes when restoring.
edizon won't correctly launch under SXOS as none of the butoons work.
SX Save Manager appears to make saves and after copying the files/folders to secondary sdcard, almost half don't show having any saves.
SX Installer seems to successfully backup all saves. After copying them to secondary sdcard restores fail except for BTOW.
checkpoint seems to backup saves but after copying to secondary sdcard, almost half of saves don't show as installed.
My guess is why some of these don't work is because they don't support the 3 different save game methods. Supposedly JKSV does but it just crashes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1