Hacking Hardware Using Raspberry Pi Pico for syscon reading

master801

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had a Raspberry Pi Pico laying around after using it for RGH 3.0 on my Xbox 360 and needed to figure out what is causing YLOD on my PS3. So I figured it'd be best to reuse it instead of buying a $5 device with worse usage.

After poking around in the PS3 syscon reader source code, I eventually figured out it is written in Python and uses UART (this is never stated explicitly - just that a "TTL serial USB" device is needed). I was planning on creating a custom solution for the Raspberry Pi Pico, but couldn't really figure out how to interface the UART serial to USB then to syscon reader.

Searched for "raspberry pi pico uart usb" and in the first 10 results, I saw that someone had already made a UART-USB solution for the Raspberry Pi Pico. This is the best approach since it doesn't require any custom software.

Using the pinout in Pico USB-UART Bridge's GitHub repository, I wired up UART0 to the PS3 syscon. Pico UART0 TX to syscon RX, Pico UART0 RX to syscon TX. For some reason, it didn't work at all and syscon reader was throwing out "Auth1 response invalid" with both "AUTH" and "auth". I even added a ground wire and it still didn't work! As a last resort, I switched the wires around (following the guide).
Now type in AUTH or auth. It is case sensitive, so if one doesn't work try the other. If you get Auth1 response invalid, after trying it both ways, then you got the RX and TX wires reversed.
"AUTH" still didn't work, but "auth" worked and I got an "Auth successful" message.

At this point, I can read syscon and figure out why my console has YLOD.

Since my board is a DIA-001 model, I was able to get into internal access mode. Not exactly sure how this helps, but it seems to give a bit more extra info.

Notes:
DO NOT BLINDLY TYPE IN WHATEVER COMMANDS I USED (IN THE SCREENSHOTS) TO OBTAIN INTERNAL ACCESS MODE! THIS CAN AND WILL BRICK SYSCON.
I used the "Linux" version of ps3syscon on Windows 10 since it just relies on Python 3. The Windows version looked like a packaged version of Python with a user-friendly UI and has no real merits (other than being user-friendly) over the CLI version, in my opinion.

Sources:
https://github.com/Noltari/pico-uart-bridge
https://github.com/db260179/ps3syscon
https://www.psx-place.com/threads/r...s-replacement-ylod.25260/page-192#post-295119

By the way, although I can't confirm this, I'm sure Pico UART-USB Bridge will work for PSP BaryonSweeper.

Attachments

• IMG_20230318_072214.jpg
    IMG_20230318_072214.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_17.png
    Screenshot_17.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_18.png
    Screenshot_18.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_19.png
    Screenshot_19.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 127

master801

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

master801

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hhmm, interesting? I'd be interested in giving this a go rather than relying on some random chip from China :rofl2:

Did you manage to fix your PS3 in the end?
Nope.

Got a YLOD and 3034 error which means the RSX is fucked. I'm not gonna waste money on a reball or franken-GPU since a used PS3 slim is way cheaper.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto