Valve launches Steam Link for Meta Quest headsets

38974858_353972233735300_71717434851146598_n.jpg

Valve has released a Steam Link client for Meta Quest headsets including the Quest 2, Quest Pro and newly released Quest 3 that lets you easily play Steam VR games wirelessly over your existing Wi-Fi connection.

Other solutions that provide similar functionality already exist such as Meta's official Air Link which is baked into the Quest OS as well as other third-party solutions such as the fan-favourite Virtual Desktop. But now Quest headset owners can now easily play PC VR titles directly from their PC running Steam without any additional setup.

All that's needed to get started is a VR capable PC running Steam that has a wired connection to a fast and stable 5Ghz Wi-FI router. Valve recommends a GTX 970 GPU at minimum spec or a RTX 2070 at recommended. Just open the free Steam Link app on your Meta Quest headset to get started.

Valve's rumoured upcoming standalone headset, a successor to the Index, currently known as the Deckard is also rumoured to support wireless PC VR but little is currently known about the device. However recent Steam client leaks have made mention of a Steam Link dongle that may be designed for exclusive use with the Deckard which may allow for higher fidelity or lower latency wireless VR but this is speculation.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Steam Link on Meta Quest store

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
An unexpected but welcome release. I'll make sure to try it out once the living room TV is occupied.

I hope the Quest controllers can be mapped to work like an Xbox controller in traditional games, at least as far as the amount of buttons on them allows for it.

Though, the biggest plus for me personally is that I can finally play Sprint Vector without any cables hanging off my back.

Last edited by Axido,

CrakrHakr666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using Virtual Desktop, but that wasn't always straightforward. I will have to install this next time I use my Quest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol