The Meta Quest 2 VR headset will be getting a $100 price hike next month

djnkasmkrskl;f.png

Many consider the Meta Quest 2 to be an affordable, entry-level VR headset, but customers might change their minds about that, because Meta is instituting a price increase on the Quest 2. The baseline 128GB model normally retails for $299.99, and the 256GB version is $399.99, but "starting in August", the price will go up by $100, bringing both models to $399.99 and $499.99, respectively. Meta's reasoning behind the change is to "help invest for the long term, and keep driving the VR industry forward", with prices also increasing on refurbished models and even Quest 2 accessories. Those that purchase a headset following the price hike will be given a copy of Beat Saber for free.

:arrow: Source

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason I want a vr headset, is for Half Life Alyx. But valve can get bent wanting $1200 for an index, for one game.

I need something inexpensive enough to get me to actually do it... but not so expensive as to end up regretting it after finishing said game.

Closest I found to that would be the original PS VR; yes, it's blatantly low res, but it was responsive enough. But well, it can't work with HLA, and Sony would literally rather shut down their business than let a playstation product work as intended on a pc.

Reactions: ZeroFX

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason I want a vr headset, is for Half Life Alyx. But valve can get bent wanting $1200 for an index, for one game.

I need something inexpensive enough to get me to actually do it... but not so expensive as to end up regretting it after finishing said game.

Closest I found to that would be the original PS VR; yes, it's blatantly low res, but it was responsive enough. But well, it can't work with HLA, and Sony would literally rather shut down their business than let a playstation product work as intended on a pc.
Just use the no-VR mod

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Just now finding out about the Neo 3 Link... Which is more than competitively priced... Moreso now after this price hike. It also comes with a link cable that hooks up via DP for a far better experience...

Meta can suck it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"because chip shortage" is becoming the new "because COVID" for everything raising in price, as if these shit bags don't already have enough money.
To be fair share prices are tanking (both theirs and presumably much of the rest of their portfolios), hiring freezes have happened, layoffs are coming if they have not already, inflation is eating away at things (granted that is no sniffles nor shipping concerns as much as money printer go brrrr), this gamble on VR is costing them absolutely massively and few see the upside much less profit any time soon.

Now trying to sell me a DRM infected headset that is basically a screen AND trying to force me to join social meeja to play with said screen is but icing on the cake for me (I am still of the wake me up when there is a proper use case persuasion and expect to be asleep for many years yet).

Reactions: Jayro

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn. I sold my 64GB version not too long ago. Fuck it. Barely used it anyways. I'll buy the Quest 3/Pro whatever those come out.

Runehasa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure about you all but I think this is great idea by Facebook. With inflation hitting an all time high and food prices soaring why shouldn't they charge more for their headsets. I mean come on we have so much extra money laying around with gas prices only being about 5 dollars or so on average. No reason why 2 year old tech shouldn't go up in price

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fortunately I got the quest 2 last Christmas. Is the price increase due to the fact they removed requirement to use facebook? They can't sell your facebook data now.

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, there are some nice exclusives, re4 alone blows beat saber out of the water for example, but the japanese exclusives... are the why i bought one some time ago, even though i own a index.
beat saber is the one I return to play the most but I mainly use my quest 2 to watch 3d movies and videos from time to time.

• Haha
Reactions: ZeroFX

Ferris1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I hope they increase the price to a certain point so nobody buys this junk, who need Facebook Account forced VR Glasses,
I was interested in oculus Rift when it was owned by oculus but since SlackerBird owns it they built in Spyware.
slacker-lazy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Si :D +1