Valve's Steam Deck wins Golden Joystick's Best Gaming Hardware award

20221122_173214.jpg

The Golden Joystick Awards is currently celebrating its 40th Anniversary, and today it has just published their winner for the Best Gaming Hardware through a tweet on November 22nd, 2022.

The winner for the Best Gaming Hardware of this year is none other than Valve's industry changing gaming console, the Steam Deck.

Given the console is still on its infancy, the Steam Deck has caused quite the stir in the gaming and PC landscape, bringing Linux gaming into the forefront with some hefty hardware to achieve AAA PC gaming on a portable device, and with development and production going into full motion by Valve, we can only expect better things to come for the newcomer to the gaming world.

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
So, how do you guys feel about the touch pads?
In desktop mode, they are tolerable for general use and arguably better than laptop touchpads, but for more difficult operations it's best to connect a real mouse. I haven't used them inside of a game.

Overall, I'm definitely glad they are there though.

Reactions: KingVamp

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I don't have one yet, however I've seen lots of videos of this steam deck and it's capabilties and yep I agree this is the system I wish I had instead of the switch or ps vita. The games look good, emulation looks good and no need to mess about hacking it. Whatsmore you can even change the ssd for a larger one in the future. If a system is worthy of that award - this is it. I'd rather have the steam deck before I'd buy a PS5 or New Xbox.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Look up the nominees for a laugh.

Not that this wasn't deserved, but still.
Lol looked it up:

1. Playdate - low end gameboy like hardware with a crank
2. Analogue Pocket - Expensive Hardware emulator for GBA generation and below
3. Backbone One: PlayStation Edition - mobile controller
4. Roccat Kone XP - a gaming mouse
5. WD_Black SN850 NVMe SSD for PS5

with the winner being a very powerful portable gaming device that's reasonably priced that funnily kind of combines all 5 in some way. Portable, gaming device, has gaming controls, has mouse controls and has storage

Like literally no contest

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Lol looked it up:

1. Playdate - low end gameboy like hardware with a crank
2. Analogue Pocket - Expensive Hardware emulator for GBA generation and below
3. Backbone One: PlayStation Edition - mobile controller
4. Roccat Kone XP - a gaming mouse
5. WD_Black SN850 NVMe SSD for PS5

with the winner being a very powerful portable gaming device that's reasonably priced that funnily kind of combines all 5 in some way. Portable, gaming device, has gaming controls, has mouse controls and has storage

Like literally no contest
Playdate is pretty cool, but comically expensive. I get why it costs what it costs, but that price makes it quite niche (and prevents me from coming up with an excuse to get one). I'd say that's the other entry that makes perfect sense on the list, though.

But yeah, the hardware section is just funny with several clearly filler entries and the beast of a device that is Steam Deck (let's not forget it's not the only handheld PC on the market, either). Someone's not been paying attention.

Defective1Up

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm so impressed by how much the Steam Deck has revitalized the handheld PC market and got great competition moving. Looking at the GPD Win 4 and Aya Neo Geek, 2, Pro, and the 57 other devices, and even the AYN LOKI is just impressive and none of these devices would exist without the Steam Deck. With these great competitors, imagine what the Deck 2 is gonna be like in a few years.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

In games I’ve used them in Pony Island and Henry Stickmin, they’re ok.

In Desktop mode/Windows, what’s annoying is that the controls change by default depending on if Steam is running, switching from the right to the left pad and at times have can become unresponsive e.g. during a UAC prompt (works temporarily then stops).

The former may be changeable though but I haven’t looked into it.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Depends a bit on your expectations.
To start with the good news: it's a whole lot better than any trackpad or joystick-like device I've ever used. Heck... I find myself using it over the touchscreen pretty much all the time. And the "ported mobile" games on Steam i would prefer on my deck over the same app on a phone (but note: I've got a tablet, and a larger screen is even better than that). And the two finger keyboard is surprisingly good. Takes some getting used to, but if you can type with ten fingers, this might be almost as fast.

The bad news: it's not as good as an actual mouse. For rts'es and fps'es, you better plug in some extra devices.

Reactions: Xzi and KingVamp

Kamiyama

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I first thought this was Steam Link's successor for streaming your games from your PC, so I wasn't so into what it really was until someone at work did show me how it did run latest games smoothly itself.

After that I did though if I should get one. Then my electric company did tell me to pay about 30+ times bigger bills than before "because of world's current situation", I said fuck that and fuck it, I'm getting one because it would be cheaper than paying electric bills if I continue use my PC like the same.

Now it is my main gaming, emulation device and PC. Also, I cursed how crap my work PC at work and now I'm using it as my work "laptop" too and I get some fines from our company because I'm using my own "tools" at work.

I hope there would be more successors for this little wonder machine.

Reactions: Shape

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't put into words how happy I am for them as a gamer and gaming technology enthusiast. It won't get me to buy one as I have a Win 3 but if didn't have that i'd have no hessitation in buying a Steam Deck if I had that kind of money again. Or at least until I can get an official or unofficial copy of Steam OS on my Win 3 with full driver support for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan: