Newten5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was wondering if its possible to run a Virtual Console game from a CD on my Wii, you might be wondering why the hell me or anyone else would want to do that, so this is the reason:

http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cover_id=5173

I want to burn a bunch of Virtual Console games to disks and keep them in custom wii cases, if its possible I will make a whole bunch of my own covers too, I can make some pretty sweet covers using the templates on that site.

So, I ask you GBAtempers... can it be done?

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newten5 said:
I was wondering if its possible to run a Virtual Console game from a CD on my Wii, you might be wondering why the hell me or anyone else would want to do that, so this is the reason:

http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cover_id=5173

I want to burn a bunch of Virtual Console games to disks and keep them in custom wii cases, if its possible I will make a whole bunch of my own covers too, I can make some pretty sweet covers using the templates on that site.

So, I ask you GBAtempers... can it be done?

No, it can't be done and that doesn't seem like a legitimate reason for doing it.

The whole point of virtual console is that you don't need a physical medium to store your games.

Not only that, but think about it from a conservation aspect. Burning discs for data that is readily available online just increases your consumption.

Newten5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
teq said:
No, it can't be done and that doesn't seem like a legitimate reason for doing it.

The whole point of virtual console is that you don't need a physical medium to store your games.

Not only that, but think about it from a conservation aspect. Burning discs for data that is readily available online just increases your consumption.
I know its a silly thing to do, Im just curious to see if it can be done, and a game collection would look cool with Mario Kart 64 in a custom wii case sitting next to your wii games XD Silly but cool

nanika

文鎮じゃダメ!まぁ、こんな文字小さしすぎてどうせ読めないっしょ。
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ignore teq. I've been looking into it and it seems it may be possible. I still haven't worked out everything yet though.
After all, Brawl VC games run from a DVD. ^^

Newten5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nanika said:
Ignore teq. I've been looking into it and it seems it may be possible. I still haven't worked out everything yet though.
Thanks, and good point. Although it does run them from within brawl I suppose...

And I think when I played them through Brawl it added borders... Im sure it doesnt do that when you play them properly on the wii itself... or am I thinking of something else?

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newten5 said:
I know its a silly thing to do, Im just curious to see if it can be done, and a game collection would look cool with Mario Kart 64 in a custom wii case sitting next to your wii games XD Silly but cool

I guess...

But, you have to consider that the game is only 25MB, which would be a laughing matter even for a mini CD-R(roughly 250MB). An entire system compliation might be a better fit.

nanikaIgnore teq. I've been looking into it and it seems it may be possible. I still haven't worked out everything yet though.

Yeah, ignore me, because I have the insight he requested, instead of some pipe dream.

Brawl runs VC games off the disc, but in order to access them, you need to run Brawl. Do you see where I'm going with this?

nanika

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
Yeah, ignore me, because I have the insight he requested, instead of some pipe dream.

Brawl runs VC games off the disc, but in order to access them, you need to run Brawl. Do you see where I'm going with this?
Okay then, could someone with a drivechip and a DVD they won't mind wasting try this? Take an .iso, and replace the tmd and ticket with those of a VC game that you've played's tmd and ticket. The disk won't work but... can you use it to extract your save with Waninkoko's tools?

Anyway, as you say you'd need to run Brawl, then could not a special interface be developed, /like/ Brawl but not Brawl, which let you boot up a VC game, or worked like a multi-boot GC disk?

Anyway, teq, can the Wii even read CDs?

Kevka

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
first i think the cover had make because some pople burn the wad-file on a cd. its not very intelligent but some pople want this.

ok lets go back to the question "boot vc-games on a dvd?"

Here the answer yes its possble because a normal wii games run with more dol-datas!
(Open a iso with Trucha and look a little bit;-))
Example:
Uninject the Rom form the Wad-File as a Dol and replace this with the dol file (example)
from PaRaDoX Auto Boot Manager or the HBC installer and the Game have to be run!

This is my theory but at this time the uninject is impossble because the tool to uninject is in the alpha phase

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nanika said:
Okay then, could someone with a drivechip and a DVD they won't mind wasting try this? Take an .iso, and replace the tmd and ticket with those of a VC game that you've played's tmd and ticket. The disk won't work but... can you use it to extract your save with Waninkoko's tools?

Anyway, as you say you'd need to run Brawl, then could not a special interface be developed, /like/ Brawl but not Brawl, which let you boot up a VC game, or worked like a multi-boot GC disk?

Anyway, teq, can the Wii even read CDs?

The problem is that the emulator for each trial game has a time limit imposed.

I really don't see why a physical disc would be wanted. A case and manual, maybe, but the disc is going a bit too far.

Are people really not happy with having channels on the Wii for all of their games?

nanika

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
The problem is that the emulator for each trial game has a time limit imposed.

I really don't see why a physical disc would be wanted. A case and manual, maybe, but the disc is going a bit too far.

Are people really not happy with having channels on the Wii for all of their games?
Those ones had time limits. The Ticket controls whether or not a game has a time limit, not Brawl itself.

Imagine being able to have a DVD full of VC games. Plenty of storage there rather than the Wii's tiny 256MB.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theclaw said:
It'd be better to add USB or front SD support to emulators, for most games.

Easy enough to do: just modify the directory given in the TMD file.

night_chrono

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jesus christ people enough bickering! Someone has done this already with a copy of super metroid. Saving didn't work on it, so it is still a WIP. Just use the search button and you will find the topic for it.

Zendrik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only problem with USB support is the Ninty locked down the USB port to 1.1, even though it is a 2.0 port. This is why it takes forever to install a .wad from the USB. Maybe if Ninty unlocks the true potential of the USB2.0 port it would be a good idea. But a 2gb SD full of games is an awesome idea.....other than the fact that my 2gb SD has a ton of SNES/NES/Genesis/GB roms on it already. Still cool, but kinda pointless with the creation of emulators, IMO.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nanika said:
Those ones had time limits. The Ticket controls whether or not a game has a time limit, not Brawl itself.

Imagine being able to have a DVD full of VC games. Plenty of storage there rather than the Wii's tiny 256MB.

Okay, so injecting a full game isn't a problem. Writing an interface might prove to be difficult.

Oh... and the Wii has 512MB of memory.

I still think the best solution is USB Mass Storage. It's already available.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
work in progress

http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_vc-iso-load...sde-dvd_1053574

as far as I understood, this need a Trucha modified copy of Brawl, roms are injected in the various VC dols, time limit has been removed from the ticket
the main dol has been developped as a simple interface to launch the wanted VC

logically, saving will not work since the VC from Brawl haven't been designed for that (the important thing is that they CAN read data from DVD instead of the NAND, but write is obviously impossible)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already